• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think my wife is now hooked

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
My wife shocked my Sunday evening. She said out of the blue, that she wanted to go to the practice field and throw some discs. I almost drove off the road , because I was so shocked. It was her birthday, and I had decided to not even bring up disc golf in fear of getting yelled at, because I tend to talk about it all the time.

I told her, "thats cool" and we went home to get the gear and head out . I set up the practice basket, and brought several discs and putters for her to try. She already had a Star Stingray that I had custom dyed for her about a year ago, in an attempt to get her to start playing.

I started her with putting, and she seemed to be the best with a Soft Magnet. She is actually pretty damn consistent with it from 25ft in. We then worked on some drives. I was proud of her, because she did exactly what I said. I have seen most newbies throw from their waist and throw straight up in the air, but she threw across her chest and made some fairly straight drives. I gave here a 150 Polaris and here Star Stingray. She threw the Stingray about 100ft and the Polaris about 125ft. I was surprised, and she said she was having a blast.

Today, she said she wanted to do some putting practice , so I set the basket up out front, and she went to making some putts. She then made me laugh. I asked her " So, what do you think?" She said "I am addicted to the sounds of the chains now, you son of a bitch. Damn you, now I am hooked on disc golf". All I could do is smile. She has to work this weekend, so we are going to try hit a course next week. I am a happy man.

Different ends of the spectrum here. Can't even get my wife to hold a disc. I have tried a few times to convince her, but she just hasn't give in yet. I will keep working at it. I must admit that I enjoy my time alone on the course without her. That's my time.

Welcome to the club. I am currently working on building a super kid to take over the junior division in a couple of years. HAHAHAHAHAHA..disc golf domination. If only I was any good.

It took over two years, but she is really interested now. She said she now understands why I am so hooked. I will try to get her on the forums, but I don't know if that is going to happen.

My wife has gone out with me a few times but she just ends up getting frustrated. She put well but the long shots need work. The last time we were out she started to get into it but she gets sick of it after 9 holes.

I brought my wife out to play one time, and the result wasn't suprising. She couldn't stand it. This was around the time I was starting out and thought it would be cool to have something to do together...but you know what? We do almost everything else together, so the fact that I have something to go out and do on my own or with the guys isn't such a bad thing. How fun would it be to get away, but not really get away.

Congrats on getting her out banging the chains, though. As bill said, be prepared to spend alot more time with each other.

I think it's a lot of fun to go out and play with my girlfriend. It took a couple years to get her really interested, but now that she is, she's as hooked as I am. I've played 166 courses, and she's been to 165 of them with me, and we've taken a number of disc golf road trips together.

She likes to go to my tournaments, but I hope that soon she will be playing. She said she might play in a mini at the end of the month.

Shoot tiff a pm on hfds.org if she wants to go out with some other women. She's always up for playing rounds, and her parents live in kingwood, so we're over there a decent amount.

My wife shocked my Sunday evening. She said out of the blue, that she wanted to go to the practice field and throw some discs. I almost drove off the road , because I was so shocked. It was her birthday, and I had decided to not even bring up disc golf in fear of getting yelled at, because I tend to talk about it all the time.

I told her, "thats cool" and we went home to get the gear and head out . I set up the practice basket, and brought several discs and putters for her to try. She already had a Star Stingray that I had custom dyed for her about a year ago, in an attempt to get her to start playing.

I started her with putting, and she seemed to be the best with a Soft Magnet. She is actually pretty damn consistent with it from 25ft in. We then worked on some drives. I was proud of her, because she did exactly what I said. I have seen most newbies throw from their waist and throw straight up in the air, but she threw across her chest and made some fairly straight drives. I gave here a 150 Polaris and here Star Stingray. She threw the Stingray about 100ft and the Polaris about 125ft. I was surprised, and she said she was having a blast.

Today, she said she wanted to do some putting practice , so I set the basket up out front, and she went to making some putts. She then made me laugh. I asked her " So, what do you think?" She said "I am addicted to the sounds of the chains now, you son of a bitch. Damn you, now I am hooked on disc golf". All I could do is smile. She has to work this weekend, so we are going to try hit a course next week. I am a happy man.

that is awesome man!!

Its always a good thing when you can get your wife to take an intrest in what you do. That may just mean more time on the course for you.

The potential for more time on the course is definitely a plus. Also, more fun same interests sharing passions with the wifey yada yada yada.

On the other hand....

The paranoid side of me begs the question: Where's the catch? May you soon find yourself in a dusty antique store on a beautiful saturday afternoon? Wine tasting? Crappy smelly candle parties? Quilting?!?!?!?!?

maybe you already do this stuff. maybe you don't.

I guess i just don't trust anybody anymore.

Congrats. Do you think you could talk to my wife? I got my kids into it and thought it would be a good fun family game but my wife gets to frustrated and quits. She has played a few time which is better than not at all.

Congrats midnight. Playing with someone is always nice, and I bet playing with your wife is even better.

cool deal, it can only help the relationship.

/my wife place 5th in AM this year at Worlds.

Latest posts