• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ian's Bag 2013

ian.

*Legalize It*
Well i guess i should do one of these for the new year/season ... Not many changes from my last one .. still tinkering with distance drivers a lil bit..Orcs at the moment and so far so good.. cant wait to get one beat.. or to buy a beat one lol :eek:.. I had debated on no Leos and all Teebirds with an extra DX but for now they stay.... Lost one of my longtime sidewinders in charlotte yesterday so in comes a freshie.. hmm other then that everything has been good

"Distance" Drivers

168 Star Sidewinder (fresh) - anything from hyzer to anhyzer, s shots, etc.
168 Star Sidewinder (beat) - long turnovers, rollers, flip flat, uphill, etc.
172 Star Orc (seasoned) - hyzers, flex shots, fh, windy day driver
165 Star Orc (fresh) - very similar to above but lil longer.. just breaking in
165 12x Champion Firebird (flat,pearly,seasoned) - overstable utility, fh,etc.

"Control" Drivers

168 Pro-Line Leopard (seasoned taffy goodness) - does it all
171 Pre-Barry Champion Leopard - my "beefy" Leo
168 12x Champion Teebird (seasoned) - nicely seasoned.. lil fade left
168 Star Teebird - my beefy teebird, hyzers, fh, flex shots, you name it
168 DX Teebird (seasoned) - longer & more movement then Leo, standstill, turnovers, hyzer flips, etc.

The Mids

174 Elite-X Comet (seasoned) - turnovers, odd stance, fun to throw
174 Elite-Z Comet - weird but beefier then my others.. can do it all well
176 12x KC Pro Roc (seasoned) - getting seasoned but still has plenty of fade
172 12x KC Pro Roc (well seasoned) - lil fade left but almost dead straight

$ Makers

172 Pro-D Challenger - putting putter
172 Pro-D Challenger (beat) - jump putts, up shots, drivers
172 Pro-D Challenger (fresh) - practice putter, more stable drives
169 ESP Zone (concave) - getting seasoned but yeah its a zone.. fh & bh upshots, beefy mid if needed

Molds : 9
Discs : 18

I also have a few that come in and out.. beat roc, pro-d rattler, star beast, esp banger.. just depends

lol it seems like it does get much love here in the upstate.. i remember throwing one when they first came out .. was very fun to throw can cover a ton of shots plus it does feel good in the hand.. kinda how i use the Comet .. reading over this sounds like i could almost talke myself into it :)

Not much has changed? Hardly! Where are those Sanny Aviars?

And I told you about the awesomeness of the Challenger. ;)
You may want to keep an eye out for the Nate Doss Special Edition. It's a stiffer blend they say it's similar to the Cam Todd Challengers.

lol .. i still have them.. big ole box of them bad boys but been messing with the chally last month or two.. really really dig it so far.. dunno if its me or what but they do seem to "catch" better.. Mostly it came about b/c i got a really sweet seasoned one from a buddy.. first ever throw with it ACE so figured i had to at least give them a shot and putting has been on.. Dunno if it will last but we will see.. i still have the sanny on stand by if need be. My buddy that hooked me up with the first is addicted to them and has some Cam Todds.. things feel amazing.. just dunno about the price tag :\ .. but with tax time coming i might have to look out for some of the Nates.. havent really seen many or any on the marketplace now that i think about it

Last edited:
You know this as well as I do that within the circle it's 90 percent mental and the other 10 percent, that's mental to. If the change helps, stick with it. When the snow goes away (I would play in it but there's a good few inches of ice underneath it, making any play dangerous) I'm going to get in some serious putting practice in to see if my Rhynos really are the thing for me or should I look at BB Aviars, Pures, or Wizards.

i might have to look out for some of the Nates.. havent really seen many or any on the marketplace now that i think about it

That's true. There were only 500 made and the lucky few that have them probably won't part with them until we die. :p

lol i feel ya there.. so far i have been digging the normal grippy flat production runs but thats prob just b/c i havent fondled the others .. i do have a nice blue first run sparkle x-challenger

You know this as well as I do that within the circle it's 90 percent mental and the other 10 percent, that's mental to. If the change helps, stick with it. When the snow goes away (I would play in it but there's a good few inches of ice underneath it, making any play dangerous) I'm going to get in some serious putting practice in to see if my Rhynos really are the thing for me or should I look at BB Aviars, Pures, or Wizards.

oh yeah very much so ... i have switched around before on the kc's in the past and honestly no real changes everything was still solid inside the circle.. i always ended up switching back because feel and plus i have piles of them lol .. atm really like the challengers and they do feel better in a powergrip for driving duties.. I would like to maybe get a Soft Challenger tho for longer jump putts..i like to mash my thumb in there a lil bit.. i was using a softer dx small bead for these..using a normal x-challenger atm but wouldl ike to test a soft

Well a few changes from the last time but have first non ice bowl tourny coming up this weekend so figured i would update it. Still havent found my "old self" after the ankle stuff late last year but things are slowly turning around. Trying to keep the bag around speed 9-10 or at least 2cm or under rim.. thats what i have thrown best and have found comfortable.. just havent been able to jive with the fast stuff and dont have the arm anyway lol.. but im afraid as fast as the discs are getting now im going to have to explore them :eek: ... Been throwing Rivers and Saints a bit.. threw Rivers for a while in the past so have no problem having them in the bag but not sure about the Saint for the tourny bag just havent thrown it a ton yet. Feels odd not having the Pro-line Leopard in the bag but almost lost it and got a lil shook so thought i would check out some production stuff and River has been nice.. and once i zone it in again may be deadly lol :p .. Really liked the Orc but i seem to be able to do the same shots with the PD and the rim feels better.. still havent thrown much other then the P-line but for me its plenty stable for what i need and should break in nicely.. Lost my X-Comet i threw forever but havent put in a fresh one.. just been throwing the Elite-Z Comet or beat Roc were i would have thrown it and so far so good..may put in an extra roc for the weekend. Really Really Really digging the old challengers.. been killing some longer putts with them and just feels better then the KC in a powergrip for drives/upshots.. hmm other then that everything still the same.. i know all the sidewinders looks odd and usually only carry two but the old stars are nice and stable at my arm speed so i can cycle and cover a lot and with the tourny coming... hell i just trust em :)

"Distance" Drivers

168 Star Sidewinder (fresh) - nice and stable.. my "beefy" sw :p
168 Star Sidewinder (seasoned, believe its a NS) - line shaping SW.. been throwing forever just love this one
168 Star Sidewinder (beat) - long turnovers, rollers, hyzer flips, etc.
166 P-line PD - beefy windy day driver.. fh, if it has to finish left , etc.

"Control" Drivers

168 GL River - anything from turnover to slight hyzer, can do it all.. longer then TB but shorter then SW
168 Pearly KC Pro Teebird - the beef.. shorter then my Star but boy she fades nicely
168 DX Teebird (seasoned) - longer & more movement then Leo, standstill, turnovers, hyzer flips, etc.

The Mids

174 Elite-Z Comet - not much to say the Comet is just the shizzznit
172 DX Roc (beat) - turnovers, hyzer flips, stand stills, you name it

$ Makers

172 Pro-D Challenger - putting putter
172 Pro-D Challenger (beat) - jump putts, up shots, drivers
172 Pro-D Challenger - practice putter, more stable drives
169 ESP Zone (concave) - getting seasoned but yeah its a zone.. fh & bh upshots, beefy mid if needed

Looking good.

Is this 169 ESP Zone the infamous "Clemson" Zone?

I've been thinking about dropping my Z Pred for a Firebird. It makes sense to me since the PD & FB have rim but since you've had both bagged from time to time, why did you keep the FB over the Pred?

yes sir that would be the clemson zone :p ... FB vs Pred is a good question.. I really liked the Pred on FH shots but when it came to BH i was more Comfy with the FB.. I could throw the Pred longer but just wasnt as beefy as the FB's i had.. plus the my Firebirds are all flat which is a huge plus for me.. The Pred is more workable but for straight up meathook its hard to beat the FB... but tbh i could prob go Pred instead and no miss much.. and fwiw i was mostly using the X-Pred which isnt gonna be as beefy either way.. the Z-Preds i had just felt lil odd :\

all and all the tourny went pretty well over the weekend and the few problems i had i think will clean up with more rounds and with daylight savings time hopefully it wont take long :) .. I am curious about some of the faster stuff but i guess at my arm speed they arent really going to help me in the long run.. might give me a few extra feet but dunno if its worth it :\ Going to toss in a GL Saint or two and give them a run for a bit.. hoping PD/Saint/SW can cover about anything i come across.. but may have to look into S-PDs.. i like the P-line but did notice its not the best wind fighter.. or well not in 30mph+ lol .. Might also toss in a Fresh KC Pro or Champ Roc for the extra beefness but all n all pretty happy with the setup and everything is comfy in my hand and mind :)

I am curious about some of the faster stuff but i guess at my arm speed they arent really going to help me in the long run.. might give me a few extra feet but dunno if its worth it
The two longest discs I own are a 169 1x Beast and 175 SWR Star Wraith. Both are likely too fast for my armspeed and fly flat with a forward-penetrating fade to land ~300+ ft out. They also do huge flex shots for longer on occasion, but I don't have the Wraith in the bag b/c I found it wasn't worth it relative to my arm. It effectively did what my Eagles do but with more fade.

hoping PD/Saint/SW can cover about anything i come across.. but may have to look into S-PDs.. i like the P-line but did notice its not the best wind fighter.. or well not in 30mph+ lol ..
Looks like your looking for something stability-wise between Firebirds and PD's? Can't go wrong with an S-PD (or even C-PD, me thinks) for that role.

Might also toss in a Fresh KC Pro or Champ Roc for the extra beefness but all n all pretty happy with the setup and everything is comfy in my hand and mind :)
Agreed - add in the fresh KC Pro for an overstable mid - you lack one right now amid your mid selection.

^^ yeah the 176 KC i have in the bag is still pretty beefy but not stupd beefy and sometimes you just need that extra fade.. the zone does well in that role but i need to start breaking in another roc anyway lol. I threw Champ Beasts for a bit and were by far my longest disc.. might throw them in the field with my Saints and see how they do.. I know i can get more D from the Beast but trying to keep everything at or under 2cm.. the Beast isnt far off that tho but with everything getting some damn fast now i guess i might have to start looking.. dunno why but havent tried any of the blizzard stuff but not really wanting too either lol :eek:

I think the Saint will surprise you. It is a faster disc, but throws like a fairway. It's a very user friendly disc. Because of it's glide, it doesn't need to be thrown as hard as some of the other speed 9-10 kinds of discs. For me it really was a faster more stable River. Not crazy overstable, but nice and straight with a gentle forward fade at the end.

If you do end up liking the Saint, try the Sword, especially in TP. It's faster but very controlable. It will break in very well for a Max D driver.

Lil update.. went back to the darkside of my KC Aviars .. just missed that big ole.. bead :) ... Really liked the challengers on drives and upshots but for actual putting just no reason to get away from the KC's. Have been taking a lil time away to just get my mind right.. didnt actually play at all last weekend.. I had been just getting down on myself and over thinking and well struggling lol .. Just going back to what i know works and just go from there... did mess with Saints and Rivers for a bit and liked them but dont think either will make the bag.. SW,PD,Leo all can cover those shots already.. Here is how things are and will stay .. well until tomorrow at least :p .. depending on course i may take out a teebird or roc but yeah here she is :

"Distance" Drivers

168 Star Sidewinder (fresh) - nice and stable.. my "beefy" sw
168 Star Sidewinder (beat) - long turnovers, rollers, hyzer flips, etc.
166 P-line PD (seasoned) - max d.. still pretty stable but getting to that sweet spot
166 P-line PD (fresh) - beefy windy day driver.. fh, if it has to finish left , etc.

"Control" Drivers

168 Pro-line Leopard (seasoned) - oh how i love this disc.. does it all
168 Pearly KC Pro Teebird - the beef.. shorter then my Star but boy she fades nicely

The Mids

174 Elite-Z Comet - not much to say the Comet is just the shizzznit
172 DX Roc (beat) - turnovers, hyzer flips, stand stills, you name it
176 12x KC Pro Roc (fresh) - the beef

$ Makers

172 KC Pro Aviar [SM](seasoned) – putting putter.. perfectly seasoned
175 KC Pro Aviar [SM](beat) - upshots,drives
175 KC Pro Aviar [SM] (fresh) - more stable upshots, drives.. just needed an excuse to break in another
174 DX Small Bead Aviar (beat,old soft dx p&a) - jump putts, non power grip upshots, on the softer side

If you like the Challengers for drives and upshots, why abandon them altogether? There's nothing wrong with carrying more than one type of putter.

^^ Well i had been throwing KC's there for last couple years and had no issues with them either.. actually it all started when someone let me throw a Chally and i got a first throw ace with it and kinda felt like i needed to toss it in the bag.. but just so weird about limiting molds would like to have one do it all if possible.. the challenger feels a lil more shallow i guess you would call it so fits the hand a tad better then the kc's but not the kc's are bad :) .. also i guess i need to add the Rattler to the bag thread she is in there too.. those two i got from you are beautiful thanks again! I have opened lots of nice disc packages lately but must say those two took the cake over some very valuable oop opens :).... oh snap just noticed the zone isnt in there either.. she is most def in the bag pretty much throw the zone every hole lol

Last edited:

Latest posts