• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ID required to enter an event

_MTL_

Flippy Flopper
I've thought for a long time that proper ID should be required when checking into a tournament.

The reason
John Doe is a PDGA member from Florida and is rated 980. He has accepted cash.

He travels to a B tier event in California and while John is a good player, he certainly is not at the level in terms of "oh this guy is a pro" like a Climo, Feldberg, etc.

Seeing a very small and tough open field, John decides to register as an advanced player without a PDGA numberand a fake name. John then pays the 10 dollar fee and plays the event in advanced.

This goes unrecognized because no one ever questions his identity or his status. And this is unable to figured out because he states he isn't a member and therefore, you don't track his results.

The PDGA gets his results and sees just another name on the tournament report without a PDGA number.

This scenario also applies to suspended members and such.

It's almost impossible to prove this has happened, but I bet at some point it has.

What would your thoughts be if you were required to produce ID at an event?

Anyone rated 980 would think he has a chance. If he is going to California to play in an event he will preregister because air fare isn't cheap and he wouldn't go there without being sure of a spot.

There was a guy who used a different name while on suspension and got caught.

The instances of this being an issue could be counted on one hand. Forcing all TDs to check IDs in order to prevent a cheater from trying to pull this off is a waste of time

Anyone rated 980 would think he has a chance. If he is going to California to play in an event he will preregister because air fare isn't cheap and he wouldn't go there without being sure of a spot.

lol

hypothetical chris!!

he could be there for business. or seeing family.

or it could be a guy rated 940 who plays intermediate. Really any scenario like that.

Strikes me as a solution in search of a problem.

I neither care to stand in the registration line while the TD checks 100 IDs, nor to be a TD checking 100 IDs on Saturday morning.

this is discrimination to people who can't afford I.D.

a) This isn't a voting booth.

b) Surely alternate forms of i.d. would be acceptable.

c) If you can't afford the $7-$15 for a state-issued i.d. in lieu of a driver's license, then you can't afford to be playing disc golf tournaments, either, and you have bigger issues to deal with regarding finances and perspective.

:)

In AZ, can the TD ask for papers if they suspect a discer is not a US citizen? I like the idea BTW I always was suprised they didn't ask for ID...

How would ID change anything???

He's using his real name to register, just claiming to not be a PDGA member. Last I checked, my ID didn't have my PDGA membership status on it...

I think it's a good idea for more reasons than that as well ... it would certainly discourage criminal behavior on a card.

Brad.

Reading helps!

I've thought for a long time that proper ID should be required when checking into a tournament.

The reason
John Doe is a PDGA member from Florida and is rated 980. He has accepted cash.

He travels to a B tier event in California and while John is a good player, he certainly is not at the level in terms of "oh this guy is a pro" like a Climo, Feldberg, etc.

Seeing a very small and tough open field, John decides to register as an advanced player without a PDGA number and a fake name. John then pays the 10 dollar fee and plays the event in advanced.

This goes unrecognized because no one ever questions his identity or his status. And this is unable to figured out because he states he isn't a member and therefore, you don't track his results.

The PDGA gets his results and sees just another name on the tournament report without a PDGA number.

This scenario also applies to suspended members and such.

It's almost impossible to prove this has happened, but I bet at some point it has.

What would your thoughts be if you were required to produce ID at an event?

This would be a burden on the masses in hopes of catching what I hope is a very very rare case

This would be a burden on the masses in hopes of catching what I hope is a very very rare case

As a member of the PDGA discipline committee, I can tell you it happens more than you might think.

Obviously can't discuss names, dates, etc. But it happens.

I bring this post up because this something we have thrown around and I was wanting to get the mass opinion of it.

And yes, it would be better on the PDGA DB. But I actually want more than 4 respones.