• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

And big thanks to Brett, Chuck, and everyone else who put the time and effort into getting the course where it is today. Definitely has a legit claim as the best in the state.

I'm okay not playing it twice, but only because the white course is so much fun.

You can run the green on white hole 4. Hole 5 becomes a legit deuce opportunity for us mortals but you still have to execute a shot. All those short wooded holes (7, 10, 11-15) are fun putter shots. You still have the same tee shot on 17 as you do for 18 gold and the hole is still a very tough 3 to get. So no, the course won't beat you down and test all your shots but it is a lot of fun to play and that's still better than most courses around here.

Plus, I don't know if I want to wait through two 4 hour rounds on the gold (I can see that happening with lower divisions playing the course on the same day).

Do it like Ill state. Pro adv on sat everybody else on sun. I think this event will fill either way being that its the first time and all. Also I think the stockade hole will be played for the gold round so I'll bump that prediction up to 60 to 62

People will blow up on a few of those holes but not like they did at the ropes on 18 and 19.

People will blow up on a few of those holes but not like they did at the ropes on 18 and 19.

Right, I don't think there will be many 11's, 12's or 13+'s, even on gold 11, 13 and 18.

Anyone know if the prairie grass on the open holes is going to be OB like #15 was at Oswego?

Right, I don't think there will be many 11's, 12's or 13+'s, even on gold 11, 13 and 18.

Anyone know if the prairie grass on the open holes is going to be OB like #15 was at Oswego?

I highly doubt that. They've never done that at the previous events there on the old course. There is no reason for it.

I highly doubt that. They've never done that at the previous events there on the old course. There is no reason for it.

Good to know, just wondering if an easier hole like #1 (especially on the white) would warrant that to ramp up the difficulty a bit.

On the old layout (especially since we would run it in October near the date of the USDGC) I was tempted to make tall grass OB at Fairfield. Never did it though. I do not anticipate doing anything like that at this point with the new layout.

Playing 2 rounds of Gold just doesn't work right now. I'm anticipating a 3.5 to 4 hour gold round with 5'somes. Coming off a weekend of one 5.5 hour tourney round that doesn't sound fun to me. It also doesn't make sense for the IOS to change the division structure for 1 event. It gets confusing and we'd like to keep it uniform for the season. The current division structure offers flexibility for many players.

Back when Jon, Bruce, & I ran the IOS we added some rope and paint to the old layout to make it more challenging. The new course does not need this and I'd like to play it as.

Playing the tall grass OB comes with it's problems. We tried it at Streamwood one year and there were a ton of questionable calls weather it was OB or not. To do it right either string, flags, or paint are required. All cost their fair share and take a lot of time to set up.

When's the tourny there. I shot a +8 on the gold with the course par I don't know what that equals out too. I was +2 going into the woods then couple double boogs in there did me in. The course fits my play style perfectly though. Get it and rip it and then flipping my M4 in the woods. Just wish I had a cart for my bag. Carrying a 20lb with a torn ACL that far was a little rough.

When's the tourny there. I shot a +8 on the gold with the course par I don't know what that equals out too. I was +2 going into the woods then couple double boogs in there did me in. The course fits my play style perfectly though. Get it and rip it and then flipping my M4 in the woods. Just wish I had a cart for my bag. Carrying a 20lb with a torn ACL that far was a little rough.

August 9th & 10th. Go to www.illinoisopenseries.com for online registration.

Looks like Fink Park in Highland Park is losing some trees soon. Lots of ash trees are tagged to be cut. They're all dead/deseased. The area around holes 3, 4, 5, 7 is losing pretty much all the trees.

That sucks! That area is the heart of the course. If it wasn't a pitch n putt before, egads.

Played Round Lake for the first time yesterday. Amazing property and one of the best courses I've played in IL. I think it has usurped Channy as my new favorite course. Since i moved up north, this is much better than driving to joliet when i want to play an awesome course! How do you guys play hole 17? I went out of bounds 2x, i'm thinking if i just played it safe instead of trying to power it over the ob area, i would have taken the 4.

Played Round Lake for the first time yesterday. Amazing property and one of the best courses I've played in IL. I think it has usurped Channy as my new favorite course. Since i moved up north, this is much better than driving to joliet when i want to play an awesome course! How do you guys play hole 17? I went out of bounds 2x, i'm thinking if i just played it safe instead of trying to power it over the ob area, i would have taken the 4.

I'm guessing you mean 17 on the white? I just go over, but you need a pretty good pump to clear the OB area. I think I heard people say 350 to clear it but I think that's to the nearest corner...which doesn't leave a lot of room for error. I throw a good ~400ft power flat shot at the trees and let it dump into the short grass. Basically if you're not comfortable throwing 400 I wouldn't be risking trying to carry the OB on the tee shot.

Latest posts