• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

I am looking for Denver area suggestions if anyone has been out that way because I may tag along for my wife's business trip in a couple weeks.

From a quick search it looks like Beaver Ranch in Conifer, Bailey DGC and Phantom Falls/Bucksnort are the best options, but it might be difficult to secure a tee time at Phantom Falls/Bucksnort, especially if I will be playing a solo round.

Any input would be helpful at this point. Thanks in advance! :thmbup:

My friend just moved to boulder and he plays Conifer and greely. I don't know how far that is from your stay, but those are cool courses.

Jason, definitely check out Conifer. Phantom Falls is a fun course to relax with your buddies and throw little shot shaping lines, but it's not something I'd go out of my way for. Bailey is fun too, but I have a feeling it's a course that's more fun if you can throw 400+.

I am looking for Denver area suggestions if anyone has been out that way because I may tag along for my wife's business trip in a couple weeks.

From a quick search it looks like Beaver Ranch in Conifer, Bailey DGC and Phantom Falls/Bucksnort are the best options, but it might be difficult to secure a tee time at Phantom Falls/Bucksnort, especially if I will be playing a solo round.

Any input would be helpful at this point. Thanks in advance! :thmbup:

Let me know when you head out! I may be able to join you for a round?!:thmbup:

My friend just moved to boulder and he plays Conifer and greely. I don't know how far that is from your stay, but those are cool courses.

Jason, definitely check out Conifer. Phantom Falls is a fun course to relax with your buddies and throw little shot shaping lines, but it's not something I'd go out of my way for. Bailey is fun too, but I have a feeling it's a course that's more fun if you can throw 400+.

Let me know when you head out! I may be able to join you for a round?!:thmbup:

Thanks guys....looks like Conifer will be on the list for sure. Still waiting for the wife to confirm the travel plans. Hope it all works out....need to see the mountains again ASAP. :thmbup:

IL States is now FULL both days. If you didn't pre-reg, you ain't playin'!
There may be one or two that don't show, but don't count on it.

I'm playing the IN states this next weekend. I've never played Rogers Lakewood. Can anyone please give me some useful tips about the course? Any local knowledge would be appreciated.

It's a few weeks away but just wanted to remind everyone that the tournament at Round Lake, IL is approaching fast. The cap is 90 players per day and registration has started to pick up. Mike is out of town and won't be updating the PDGA page this week. This event is going to fill.
www.illinoisopenseries.com

i heard from someone that all the teepads are now brick and they made some modifications to the course recently to make it harder.

They're not all brick, but, yes, improvements were made to a couple.

They're mostly pretty decent, with a couple of exceptions. #2 by the skate is improved and maybe now acceptable (did they lengthen it?). #10 is a pet peeve of mine, with a dropoff to the front and right side and unfortunately unimproved. #21 we won't play on Saturday, but has some issues.

Most of them are pretty good, or at least not bad. But, they are erratic. Maybe one of the weaker features of a mostly very nice course.

Here I'm using "original" hole numbers, for the usual 24 hole course. We'll play 21 on Saturday and Sunday, so they'll be renumbered.

You'll play on Saturday? Saturday's course will be quite different than Sunday. Sunday is the "longer/harder" course you heard about, with a number of the usual holes paired into very long/challenging combinations.

Saturday will be a little more approachable, even easier than the course's most common layouts.

I was glad to see on the signup that you'll be visiting Valpo!

Might be my only tournament of the spring and summer, but I couldn't skip my home course. Too bad the rest of the IN State Series doesn't play MA4 - I'll likely have to play "up" to MA3.

If you have particular questions, fire away. Otherwise, I'll try to come back and make some general remarks. There are a bunch of reviews, of course.

If there's interest, I could find time to post the tournament layouts. It's in Sunday's configuration now, and will probably move on Friday evening to Saturday's configuration.

Might be my only tournament of the spring and summer, but I couldn't skip my home course. Too bad the rest of the IN State Series doesn't play MA4 - I'll likely have to play "up" to MA3.

Looks like there was a flurry of activity at the pre-reg deadline! Sunday's "full" (27 MPO and 47 MA1!) and will play groups of _five_! Good news, bad news, I suppose.

Saturday's got 24 MA2, 19 MA3... and 3 MA4's, among others. So, I guess I get to play MA4 after all! Hopefully we get a couple more of those on the day. It wouldn't surprise me if half the MA3's are rated MA4.

I would kind of like to win a trophy in MA4 before officially "moving up" (I think my rating left off at 849 before I let my membership lapse), but it would take a bit of the shine off of it if there were only three in the field!

and 3 MA4's, among others.

Of those with ratings... it looks like maybe only 3 of 10 MA3's would rate in MA4. 835, 802, ... 713. So, maybe it's not quite as bad as I thought. Still, I'd like to see the division more commonly offered in Indiana. The folks in Valpo are good about it, at least. But, it'd be good if the whole Series would join in.

So say a guy was making a trip around the lake from Sheboygan area to Flip City and wanted to bag some easily accessible, yet halfway decent courses in IL and IN around the way...what would be the ones to hit?

Currently, I'm thinking about diverting away from the toll road and hitting Danny Cunniff, Fink, and Watts in IL, and then hitting Hawthorne and Lituanica in IN. I thought about Bevier, but the reviews and conditions update don't seem too nice. Mostly just baggin' n taggin', but would love to hear of better ones that are easy to get to and won't take up TOO much time on the way there.

What route are you taking? 94 the whole way?

What route are you taking? 94 the whole way?

Something like that. The more I think about it, the less I feel like burning time on IL 9 holers is a smart move. I'm mostly in it just to bag IL and IN and get to 10 states anyway.