• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan Members (Part III)

I played the new Brookfield course this morning. They might as well cancel the grand opening and pull the course. What a waste of 7 baskets and a good amount of concrete. If Midwest DG was involved in the design, this is a new low for them. More likely someone who has never played DG came up with the layout. Aside from baskets too close to teepads, this course also features baskets too close to playgrounds, horseshoe pits, cornhole boards and baseball fields. Plenty of walking paths also in play. There were plenty of other park users out on a Thursday morning, so I can't imagine this place on a nice weekend day.

tldr - Don't bother playing Kiwanis Park in Brookfield.

Hearing things like this kills me. I'm hoping to come up with something or some way to stop courses being designed by people that don't know what they are doing (Midwest DG, beginners, landscape architects, park managers, non disc golfers and any other jokester that thinks he/she can design a good course).

Hearing things like this kills me. I'm hoping to come up with something or some way to stop courses being designed by people that don't know what they are doing (Midwest DG, beginners, landscape architects, park managers, non disc golfers and any other jokester that thinks he/she can design a good course).

I hope that Fairfield is the start of that in Chicagoland. Other places like the Twin Cities or Charlotte have bought in to the idea that it's worth paying a designer to have a good, safe course while Chicago park districts keep putting in crappy unsafe layouts in crowded parks. Maybe having a local course getting great ratings and feedback where an outside designer was brought in will help that a little.

I hope that Fairfield is the start of that in Chicagoland. Other places like the Twin Cities or Charlotte have bought in to the idea that it's worth paying a designer to have a good, safe course while Chicago park districts keep putting in crappy unsafe layouts in crowded parks. Maybe having a local course getting great ratings and feedback where an outside designer was brought in will help that a little.

I have a lot of respect for Brett and for him to give the nod to another designer over there says a lot about him.

I'm always up for that battle, unfortunately when there is no way for parks departments to truly weed out the bad from the good it is a tough battle. Educating parks/landscape architects IMO is the best way. How is that done effectively? That is another issue....

Through my experience....regardless of who is right or wrong, everybody loses when things turn into a pissing contest amongst multiple designers. The less professional the disc golf community comes off as a whole the less we get accomplished. Just my two cents. Perhaps setting up a booth at a parks and recreation show/convention addressing this very issue might be a good start. Educate them on the qualities and standards of what makes a good course and why they should go with a designer who does there best to follow those ideas.

Yeah, that new course is Brookfield is a pretty bad layout. A few good shots but overall, blegh.

I have a lot of respect for Brett and for him to give the nod to another designer over there says a lot about him.

I appreciate that. It was super hard not taking that job but it was the right thing for me. I wanted to be surprised like everyone else. I didn't want to play and second guess every hole. I knew there would be some resistance from the local players and it was easier to hand it off. The end result speaks for itself.

On the other side of things I have a possible project coming up within a half hour from my house. The land is spectacular and there is plenty of it. 400+ acres.

Make sure to give credit to Round Lake Park Dept. If they didn't buy-in, the project could have ended up mediocre or taken much longer. That's as important to point out to Park Depts considering a DG course as getting a designer capable of doing a good job leading them.

Make sure to give credit to Round Lake Park Dept. If they didn't buy-in, the project could have ended up mediocre or taken much longer. That's as important to point out to Park Depts considering a DG course as getting a designer capable of doing a good job leading them.

No doubt Chuck. They've been awesome. Even now when I contact them about any issue they take care of them ASAP.

Say what??? I was defending it! Logan U ftw.

Couple PSA's- Pine Hills will be open to play next week on a limited basis, call ahead of time. Illinois State Doubles Update: First 50 Am's get a tournament shirt for IL State Doubles! Added cash for the Pro division. Still have a dozen carts left. Don't wait to sign up.

My buddy Adam and I are going to a get a Zephyr only bag tag league going on every Sunday around the jtown area. We are still figuring things out but im trying to let people know ahead of time. We are going to do a trial run this Sunday at 2 pm at West Park. It is Zephyr only, no other super class discs, $5 buy in with ctps including a lagunitas 6 pack every week that I will be bringing. We are also coming up with tag designs and will have some made soon. Pm me with any questions or if you have any input to offer. This week will be trial and then hopefully we will have tags and everything ready to go within a week or two. We we also get a point system going and have trophys for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place at the end of season. Most likely going to be singles but we are considering dubs.

Anyone been to Rollin Ridge lately? I have a chance to play there tomorrow morning, think I will

Rollin Ridge is always awesome. Just go play it. Course conditions are always pristine.

:hfive:

We've had a lot of rain lately...I'm sure it'll be soggy in several spots, namely holes 1, 4, 5, 8 and 14.

We've had a lot of rain lately...I'm sure it'll be soggy in several spots, namely holes 1, 4, 5, 8 and 14.

Those low spots definitely hold water for a while, boots are probably a good plan. Still a really fun place to play even when it's muddy though.

Latest posts