• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In a funk - play through it, or take a break?

You're in a funk. What do you do?

• Keep on keepin' on

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Take it easy

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Shoot the hostage

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
I've also reached the age where it's tough to tell if I'm in a slump, or in decline.

I feel like there's 2 ways to look at this.

I've had times where I've put the bag in the closet for a couple weeks or so, and eventually the pull to get back out there trumps everything. If enjoyment is the number one goal, then I see no reason to push yourself to get out there while it's feeling like a chore.

But it depends maybe on how "serious" you want to be. If you're looking at playing competitively, I feel like there's a benefit to learning how to play through a bad patch. Part of getting the rating up is figuring out how, for yourself, you can turn a slump of weeks into days into stretches of holes into one hole into one shot.

... There are too many times when I can't play, to deliberately forego any times that I can.

The best thing about having a couple little kids is I no longer have the luxury of boredom-based slumps. Before kids, however, I would generally power through slumps by switching out all my plastic and throwing nothing but atypical (for me) lines. If my distance was out of whack I would throw rollers on every drive, no matter how long/short/well suited the hole was. If my approaches were all wrong I would forehand everything. If my short game was off I would straddle or turbo-putt everything. Basically I tried anything I could think of to make the game new and different again. Glow rounds were a big part of my "recovery" as they tend to be more casual, and involve significantly more boxed wine.

Once I got bored with that (and the resultant poor scoring) I would switch back to my regular game and usually shoot lights out.

Sorry buddy. I passed my funk along to you. Symptoms may included shanking/griplocking drives and upshots >45* behind you, missing 2' gimme putts, and severe internal mental abuse.

Like most all funk's, it'll pass. In the meantime, keep having fun. It's the most important remedy. Well that and beer. GOOD beer. :hfive:

Bring more beers and less discs. Just put a good buzz on, throw some Frisbees and have a few laughs. Understable discs are good for this. As are lids.
Or play a round at sunrise on a quiet course.
Or go empty a bucket full of drivers across a field.
Basically, just remind yourself why it's fun. And if you can't seem to remember, then go fishing instead.

Take a break + put down the plastic + go out socially and mingle + have fun = slumpbuster

Personally, I play through it. There are too many times when I can't play, to deliberately forego any times that I can.

I think this is why I am powering through it at this point. My times to get out during the week are limited to the few hours my daughter is at preschool, so I want to take advantage of the time. I think maybe rushing a bit through those rounds has something to do with it.

I feel like there's 2 ways to look at this.

I've had times where I've put the bag in the closet for a couple weeks or so, and eventually the pull to get back out there trumps everything. If enjoyment is the number one goal, then I see no reason to push yourself to get out there while it's feeling like a chore.

But it depends maybe on how "serious" you want to be. If you're looking at playing competitively, I feel like there's a benefit to learning how to play through a bad patch. Part of getting the rating up is figuring out how, for yourself, you can turn a slump of weeks into days into stretches of holes into one hole into one shot.

Definitely not a serious player. If I played tourneys, I'd be rec, no doubt. But I still like improving, or just not falling off a cliff. :wall:
Sorry buddy. I passed my funk along to you. Symptoms may included shanking/griplocking drives and upshots >45* behind you, missing 2' gimme putts, and severe internal mental abuse.

Like most all funk's, it'll pass. In the meantime, keep having fun. It's the most important remedy. Well that and beer. GOOD beer. :hfive:

I think I need to come out for a glow round, too. At least then I'll have something to blame my poor putting on; :p

I did go back out and play this morning, and I shaved five strokes off my score from yesterday on the same course. Pins were longer today, too, so I see that as a positive. Definitely just need to slow it down and try to concentrate more on consistent releases. It'll come around.

Latest posts