• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In a funk - play through it, or take a break?

You're in a funk. What do you do?

• Keep on keepin' on

Votes: 49 53.8%
  • Take it easy

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Shoot the hostage

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

onemilemore

* Ace Member *
images

I've been in a serious funk over the last couple weeks. Shanking easy upshots, losing distance on drives, missing gimme putts: the works.

I've been playing through it, trying to power through in the hopes I will break out of it. But I am curious what others do. When the chips are down, do you play more and push through the struggles, or do you take it as your sign that it's time for a few days off? Opine here and leave an answer in the poll if you like.

Keep playing on man!

Try to focus on enjoying yourself out on the course independently of the outcome of your shots. If I'm playing disc golf 99% of the time I'm having fun, even if I wish I was playing better.

That's kind of why I like to take the winter "off" now (used to bundle up and go hard but eh)... Man, do I want to play some disc golf!!!

I would probably take some time off from serious golf. A game of Ript or a pitch and putt with friends where you only play for CTP and don't worry about putting or total score. Make it fun again!

The key is - why are you in the funk?

Are you burnt out mentally and/or physically?
Dedicated and working hard but just having form / shot selection / stupidity issues?
Do you need to re-evaluate expectations?

For me, although I am stuck in bitter cold I'm dedicated to playing 1 round a week (winter leagues) then more once it thaws. The key to keep my sanity here is a balance....I am not doing any fieldwork, the only practice is putting in my basement. And my expectations. I know playing 1 round a week with no practice means my scores will suck (not to mention the snow, layers, ribbons, etc) so I just get out to play and don't worry if I cash in league like I would if it were summer. Just go have fun, get my fix, and leave myself hungry enough for the thaw.

I'd guess you haven't drastically changed your technique because you'd cut yourself some slack for changing your routine. It's probably all in your head. You're trying too hard or thinking about your shots too much. Nothing wrong with taking a week off during the winter to hit the reset on your game.

If you want to grind through it (my nice weather suggestion):
Break the routine and mix up your shots/disc selection. Having trouble with putter upshots then work on flicking or thumbing firebirds/XXX/H1/felons/etc up to the basket. Can't get the big distance with the drivers then drop down to mids or putters only for a couple rounds. Work on straddle putts if you normally use a staggered stance. You'll still improve your overall game, and you'll avoid the shots keeping you in that funk.

When I have been in a funk (provided it's not of a fatigued physical nature) I have had great success putting my current bag to rest, going into my old rejected discs box and picking a handful and just go out with no expectations and relearning those discs trying to see if my rejection was premature.

It's actually been pretty enlightening and some once rejected discs have become favorites once again. I think some times complacency breeds boredom and then lack of concentration leading ultimately to that "in a funk" feeling.

When I'm in a funk I shut it down completely. Only when I'm mentally excited to get out and throw again will I get back into it. I enjoy pressing the restart button, figure out what went wrong and come back in on a different angle. Trying to repeat the same action and expecting a different result is crazy.

My most recent shut down happened a couple of weeks ago. I played so terribly at my first tournament this year that I withdrew after the second round. The problem was my putt started to fall apart on me and when that happens everything else spirals out of control. So, I hit the restart button, bought a portable basket and have dedicated my off time to becoming a lethal putter.

Last edited:
Take a break, when you get more mad and fed up with your game forcing it makes it suck harder and frustrates you to infinity.

Sequester your self from DG for a week or so. DON'T play, NO DGCR, NO DG internet surfing.

Take my advice just start AFTER the Memorial is said and done :thmbup: !

Go do actual Field work. Playing rounds can get really frustrating if your in a bad funk.

I tend to play through it, but I might leave the bag in the car and only carry a couple of disc on the course for a few rounds or throw different lines than normal on every hole for a few rounds.

The key is - why are you in the funk?

Are you burnt out mentally and/or physically?
Dedicated and working hard but just having form / shot selection / stupidity issues?
Do you need to re-evaluate expectations?

For me, although I am stuck in bitter cold I'm dedicated to playing 1 round a week (winter leagues) then more once it thaws. The key to keep my sanity here is a balance....I am not doing any fieldwork, the only practice is putting in my basement. And my expectations. I know playing 1 round a week with no practice means my scores will suck (not to mention the snow, layers, ribbons, etc) so I just get out to play and don't worry if I cash in league like I would if it were summer. Just go have fun, get my fix, and leave myself hungry enough for the thaw.

I think it's expectations to a degree. I've been playing more, but playing worse, haha. I figured I'd be playing a little better, but maybe I need to slow down a bit and focus on quality instead of quantity, even though I don't feel I'm rushing through anything.

I'd guess you haven't drastically changed your technique because you'd cut yourself some slack for changing your routine. It's probably all in your head. You're trying too hard or thinking about your shots too much. Nothing wrong with taking a week off during the winter to hit the reset on your game.

If you want to grind through it (my nice weather suggestion):
Break the routine and mix up your shots/disc selection. Having trouble with putter upshots then work on flicking or thumbing firebirds/XXX/H1/felons/etc up to the basket. Can't get the big distance with the drivers then drop down to mids or putters only for a couple rounds. Work on straddle putts if you normally use a staggered stance. You'll still improve your overall game, and you'll avoid the shots keeping you in that funk.

Thanks, this is good advice. I could stand to add some more experience with thumbers and flicks to my (limited) arsenal.

Take a break, when you get more mad and fed up with your game forcing it makes it suck harder and frustrates you to infinity.

Sequester your self from DG for a week or so. DON'T play, NO DGCR, NO DG internet surfing.

Take my advice just start AFTER the Memorial is said and done :thmbup: !

Haha well I just started a DG website, so I can't go that far. ;)

Thanks all, good discussion so far. Keep it coming.

Go do actual Field work. Playing rounds can get really frustrating if your in a bad funk.

This. I do field practice when I am in a slump. The last time I did field practice, even that went bad, but 3 days later I won a tournament and was really happy with the way I played. The key for me is to know in my mind that the slump will pass and don't let it affect your confidence. Sometimes a little break is good too. Every now and again I will pick up some dumb habit and just instinctively do it over and over. You would be surprised that sometimes a week off resets your intuition

I voted to take a break, but I'll hedge my bet with this: if your game is struggling but you still want to be out there, by all means play on. If mentally you're getting drained, frustrated, or just not feeling it, I think taking a break is a no brainer. For those of us who take disc golf more seriously than the average joe but less seriously than the pro or advanced am, it's natural for our level of involvement to ebb and flow. Disc golf isn't going anywhere; it'll be there when you need it.