• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In the bag and various thoughts of a middling MA2

Shot a very mediocre 54 at spilman today. Everything felt wonky

Bag for doubles R'Ice bowl tomorrow
2x D1
2X wraith
starfire
firebird
trident
F1
3x F2 (it's on a golf course, I'm really bad at rollers but I'm gonna give it a try)
Comet
m2
m1
pa4
breaker
stego
mercy

My partner Chris and I took the W in MA2 at the R'Ice bowl Saturday. Great course out on a ball golf course, but plenty of interesting landscaping, elevation changes, and woods. We scored well off the back of me being able to throw farther than the majority of people in MA2, and carrying overstable discs for the wind. Shot a 54 and a 49, second set of 18 baskets had more birdie attempts. Got rolling in the second round and made a few jump putts and great drives. Threw pretty much everything but the super OS D1 and flippy F2.
Today took second in a small tournament called the Frozen Lotus. Pretty happy with how I shot, made a couple mistakes, but hit some good jump putts today to cancel out the 2-3 inside the circle misses. Overall 907 and 947 rated 15 hole rounds.
Threw basically the same bag, minus the two D1's and 1 wraith. Never threw the super flippy F2 either day.

My partner Chris and I took the W in MA2 at the R'Ice bowl Saturday. Great course out on a ball golf course, but plenty of interesting landscaping, elevation changes, and woods. We scored well off the back of me being able to throw farther than the majority of people in MA2, and carrying overstable discs for the wind. Shot a 54 and a 49, second set of 18 baskets had more birdie attempts. Got rolling in the second round and made a few jump putts and great drives. Threw pretty much everything but the super OS D1 and flippy F2.
Today took second in a small tournament called the Frozen Lotus. Pretty happy with how I shot, made a couple mistakes, but hit some good jump putts today to cancel out the 2-3 inside the circle misses. Overall 907 and 947 rated 15 hole rounds.
Threw basically the same bag, minus the two D1's and 1 wraith. Never threw the super flippy F2 either day.

I noticed we tied yesterday...

I noticed we tied yesterday...

:thmbup: That was a fun course yesterday, some interesting shots. I was two back with three holes left (4-5-6) after doinking a 10 footer on 2.

So I decided to go for it on 4 and got burned. I can make it but it's a 1/20 shot and I threw the wrong disc. The risk/reward balance on 4 long might not be there for trying to go for it, especially after watching 5 layups from the lead card.

Of course to make my decision worse, I picked up those two stroked in the two wooded holes, meaning if I had played safe we would have tied. But sometimes I just want to throw fun shots.

I shot 31 on the shorts, 30 on the mixed and 29 on the longs. Ass backwards...

I suspect that 4 Long is less than a 1/20 shot. I even laid up from the shorts. Our MPO group from the shorts had one park job, one lucky to not be OB birdie, 2 OB and one layup.

I think I shot par shorts, par longs, and then plus 1 on the mixed layout.
Funnily enough my entire group was within 40 feet of the pin 4 short. We started on that hole and it gave us a chance to play around before the round trying stuff and we found that the best shot was (rhbh) a lofted anny flick. I actually threw the stego on that one and it worked out pretty well.
After the second round I went out and tried a couple shots from the longs and I got a starfire to within 20 with a high hyzer, but the angle is tricky.

The 2 in my group who were OB were within 40 feet of it too.

Overall from short it was a strange choice of hole. Up there in strangeness with I believe 6? long? the second pine forest hole with basically no line. I threw a wimpy forehand roller both rounds, should have been a 2,3 but I missed the 10-50' putt the first round and ended up going 3,3.

Reminded me of one hole at the Blockhouse with a similar problem of zero line.

Overall from short it was a strange choice of hole. Up there in strangeness with I believe 6? long? the second pine forest hole with basically no line. I threw a wimpy forehand roller both rounds, should have been a 2,3 but I missed the 10-50' putt the first round and ended up going 3,3.

Reminded me of one hole at the Blockhouse with a similar problem of zero line.

yep- I threw forehand rollers on it too. hopefully he will open it up a bit more.

Mike is apparently beginning to get the message on the one at BH. He moved it to take away people throwing the hyzer off to the right but the new tee has so little in the way of a line that now even more people throw the hyzer. Holes 2 and 3 on Sunny are currently undergoing complete revamping, mostly to get hole 2 out of the swamp. I am told they both have the potential for considerable added length and both have legit, non-gimmicky fairways. We shall see... apparently lots of changes in stall for BH by the fall.

Two rounds at Rock, solo short - 62 and longs with Luke - 64. I kept notes on my mistakes in my shorts round, missed two very short putts, and any hole I had a bad drive on I doubled down with a bad upshot. So 3 bad drives, 5 bad scramble/second shots. Only birdie was from a miracle 80+ foot PA4 toss in.

Bag was similar to how it's shaken out lately, difference is I decided to toss in a couple DX Rocs from an ice bowl just for fun. So
400 D1 (pop top, has a little turn)
* Wraith (easier FH, more turn)
* Starfire
Luster FB
moonshine Trident
400 F1
3x F2 (400 proto, 700 hyzerflip, 400G roller wannabe)
2x dx Roc
Z Comet
SP Breaker
400g PA4
300 PA4
Stego
Mercy

Oh and MA1 filled up for Loriella, but Pro is sitting at 27/72, so I'm gonna play way up. Hoping I can get a first card that will be awesome to watch.

This wind has been making putts with mercys interesting. There's a lot of playing the wind to avoid tailwinds smacking my putts down. I was nailing it last weekend, but it's a lot of extra mental work. I've pretty much never switched putters, or at least haven't in like 3 years. So I've ordered 2 Hard Crowns and 2 200 PA3s to try out.

I had a 300 PA3 a while back and it felt great in the hand, but it had a huge puddle top which killed any glide it had. These PA3s are a different plastic than that and then the Crown looks similar to the PA3 but not puddletopped, so I'm hopeful. I'll try them out both here at home and also at my weekly putting league and see how it goes. I like the mercy, but every once in a while it just doesn't feel right in the hand, not quite deep enough. A bunch of local good players putt with Shields and they felt nice, but they are very power hungry and I miss putts low with them.

Got the PA3's and Crowns in the mail. I need a windy day to test them out but so far the PA3 is similar to how the previous one I had is doing. I love how it feels in my hand but I can't putt with it. Also this run of 200 is basically BT hard. Which is a pleasant surprise as my 200 M2 feels like velvety crayons instead.
Crown seems like a winner so far, more glide than the shields I tried, feels better than the Mercy.
Wizards, I hate the feel but I can putt decently well with them.

Got the PA3's and Crowns in the mail. I need a windy day to test them out but so far the PA3 is similar to how the previous one I had is doing. I love how it feels in my hand but I can't putt with it. Also this run of 200 is basically BT hard. Which is a pleasant surprise as my 200 M2 feels like velvety crayons instead.
Crown seems like a winner so far, more glide than the shields I tried, feels better than the Mercy.
Wizards, I hate the feel but I can putt decently well with them.

Glad the Crown is working well for you. It's a good putter.

36 at Spilman, shot a 55, 52. Getting over a cold so it was both exhausting and things were a little off.
* Wraith - flippy, for trying to go over the top on 3 (sort of worked) and going for the high risk shot on 6 (did not work)
Glow FD3 - Thumber on 12 (Got a birdie for once, shout out to Luke for a different thumber grip)
Moonshine Trident - couple flicks here and there, and anny flex shot on 7. Mid round a piece of gravel took a bite out of the rim so now it's noticeably less HSS
F1 - straight to fade stuff
F2 - wasn't used
M2 - straight to fade midrange stuff
Comet - Straight shot on 4, big turnover on 10
Breaker - flicks and stuff
PA4 - most thrown disc off the tee at Spilman
2x Crowns
2x PA3
so far these two are about the same honestly. Maybe the crowns just a smidge ahead? Can't really tell though, I need a windy day to decide.

18 playing skins at rainy cold Giles, lost to a friend by 1.
2 400 D1
2 * wraith
* Starfire
Luster FB
NEW Moonshine Trident
F1
2 F2
M1
M2
Comet
Breaker
Stego

I bagged a crown and a PA3, basically only putted with the crown and hit some good ones. Putted a tiny bit in the wind, and I'm amazed how much less these are affected by wind than the Mercy was.

Did not throw: 1 D1, Starfire, Trident (surprising, though I should have thrown it on one hole)

2 rounds of 18 at the Rock Shorts: 61, Longs with Luke: 65
1 400 D1
2 * wraith
* Starfire
Shimmer FB
Moonshine Trident
F1
3 F2
M1
M2
Comet
2 PA4
Breaker
Stego

putting with... Crowns! And how? Not very well today anyway.

Bunch of fieldwork yesterday + 36 holes is exhausting.
And then at the end I said "let me try something dumb" and threw my go-to wraith into a pond. Guess I gotta slot a replacement in there for Sunday.

1 quick 3 disc round at Spilman as warm up for tomorrow.
Was about 50/50 off the tee throwing with hips vs strong arming it, and my putts were awful but somehow shot a 52 lol

Z Comet
400 PA4
Hard Crown

Z Comet is a tick more stable than either my ESP or ESP Glow, which means I like it a lot more for general purpose mid use, as it likes to hold a hyzer more, but can still be worked on an anny or slight turnover line. It's very very close to my beat M2 I use a lot in my main bag, but will hold an turnover longer.