• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In the bag and various thoughts of a middling MA2

Bag for 2 rounds at Bull Run for a weekday tournament tomorrow. I'm going into this blind outside of the course map on here and the distances on the scorecard. There are 3 holes over 400' so I'll probably need a couple wraiths and a lot of techie woods.
3xWraith
1xStarfire
2xTridents
1xFD3
1xF1
3xF2
4xM2
1xBreaker
2xPA4
Stego
Mercy

I can't decide between my beat Starfire and putting a fresh Star in the bag, I'll probably have one in the bag on in the trunk if I need to swap round to round. The bag is preeeettty full since I don't know what shots I'm going to need.

F1 is back in for now, I've been liking how it flies even though I'm stocked up on Proto F2s now. I'm also including my uber flippy F2

Oldest base M2 is in for this tournament, it's dumb flippy so I might need it.

I think I can get away with just bookending my mids with a Breaker for the OS slot, I can throw it about as far so I'm not losing a lot there and it simplifies a lot of shots.

If it's two rounds, pair down the bag for the first round. Simplify and dont make yourself over think. Once, you've got the layout add the others in to kick it in to high gear.

I always stay away from new discs at a tourney. Only discs I know well.

Thanks! Second round would have been hot too if I had hit my 15-20 footers, missed three of them and got a little tilted.
I should have slimmed the bag down some after the first round - any holes over 400' were complex enough in lanes to prevent the solution being a single shot so the wraiths were unnecessary.
Used the beat Starfire for a lot of flicks, the glow FD3 got a fair bit of use as well, it's so crazy overstable.
I thiiiiiink other than the wraiths I used every disc in my bag. Some I used 1st round and corrected to a different disc 2nd round. The course was pretty fun, the locals have done a great job renovating it. That being said, you can't fight mother nature, and this being the wettest year of all time means holes 10 and 11 were not playable, thus the weird scores.
928 and 901, not bad!

Traded for a couple Banzais and have been throwing them in a field some.
They're interesting, I like the handfeel and am definitely gonna try them out at a course sometime.
Starfires and thunderbirds feel like a shorter drive, whereas this seems like a longer fairway.

Discmas this past weekend. So exhausting, not serious rounds so I threw in some old discs I got from our secret santas. Not gonna do a full bag thing since most was normal, here are some odds and ends I threw that were different.
Megasoft Swan reborn - Understable, not quite as glidy as the PA4 but works the same super floppy and hilarious.
PD2 - G line and C line. Weirdly the C line goes further, both are nuts overstable. I bagged them for water shots.
D2 - Threw it once at Giles, it didn't flip enough and ended lost in thorns
Banzai - I'm actually really digging this disc, super forgiving and fun. I think it and the starfire will be in/out depending on conditions.
Enforcer - This year I got a sweet Cowboy Bebop dyed enforcer. It flies nice, grabbed me a 430 ft birdie with it; not as overstable as those PD2s

glow FD3 stayed in for now.

We played 18 at Giles long long, which was ROUGH and then 15 at Lake Marshall - 9 at Lambs, 9 at Lions. What a picturesque course, really amazing, highly recommend.

Would love to see a photo of the dye job!

Ask and ye shall receive!

sYNJ9cL.jpg

It's not as good as (I think) Kodachrome's profile pic but it's pretty sweet and it's got a cool strobe effect flying cause of the block/white rim.

Also I should say we at Lake Marshall we played the 9 from Lamb and then from the Lions holes 15, 17, 18, 10, 11, 12

I actually really liked a lot of the shots required at Lambs, Lions had some cool ones but felt a bit too field hole-y to me? I dunno, I'd like to round out all 12 Lions holes before forming an opinion.

How does a fresh 400 m2 fly? I'm thinking about trying to cycle them.

They fly nice. Definitely a work horse, and as they beat in they probably gain 15 feet or so before losing stability. 750 is definitely the most stable, and also the most durable so it's nice to have one as a permanent bookend.

400 also does take a long time to beat in. My oldest one I've been throwing it for probably 3 years and it will turn over some but also can hold most hyzers.

For windy windy days you will definitely need another mold though. I've been playing around it by either throwing a breaker or OS fairway into headwinds.

Have you tried the Proto m2? I'm wondering if it's the same mold as I heard it was more OS. Also wonder if it's more OS than a 750

I have a proto M2 which is marked M3 and crossed out. Puddletopped and definitely the most OS option. I don't throw it too much cause I don't want to lose it or have it break in to much, and the 750 does 9/10ths of the things the proto would do. However there is a proto M2 for sale here on the marketplace I'd recommend grabbing. 750 takes about a year to knock that new disc feel off and get grippier and the proto ones are still more OS.

27 at Rockland, I didn't keep track of what I threw where cause there were too many throws to count. Shot like way over 70 from longs

1xWraith
1xDD
1xBanzai
1xFD3
1xTrident
1xF1
1xF2
3xM2
2xPA4
1xBreaker
1xStego
Mercy

Shot pretty bad overall but I was just messing around with some friends. Still really digging the Banzai. Not sure how that whole control driver slot will shape up with that and the Starfire. Banzai is a more cheerful disc though.

S-DD pop top courtesy of Discerdoo is super stable. It's got good glide though, especially compared to the flat S-DD I have. That one is kind of weird. It's picked up turn, so it goes out, turns for a bit, does it's thing, fades back and then when I walk it off it actually didn't go anywhere. Anyway I'm excited to see where this pop top DD goes after I throw it poorly into some trees.

I think I'm gonna go back to bookending Wraiths with a DD if I need to on windy days. In more confusion my friend gave me a C-PD2 that is the opposite of that seasoned S-DD where you think it went nowhere but it actually went really far. So I kind of like it and it's another wind option. I have a G-PD2 and it's awful so it's nice that this C Line one doesn't suck

Throwing around in the field, the Banzai is a fun disc to play with and easy to throw. I'll bag one from time to time in my casual bag, but I'm not taking Starfires out any time soon.

36 at Spilman
1x DD
1x Firebird
2x Trident
1x F1
2x F2
3x M2
2x PA4
1x Breaker
1x Stego
2x Mercy
Shot a 60 then 49
Threw an absolute dumpster fire of a first round followed by a good second round. The 60 doesn't even properly convey just how trash of a round it was. S-DD is only in the bag to try and beat it up some. I didn't need the F1 for anything.

So outside right now in VA the wind is blowing about a million miles and hour. I decided to go throw some shots with a couple DDs, a cryztel flx force and a C-PD2.

I'm slowly realizing why the PD2 is so popular and the DD isn't quite so well known despite how similar they are. I hadn't considered the PD2 before this nice C line one as the G* PD2 I had is just uninspiring and not good.
PD2 flew the best in the wind it seemed but I only threw everything once as it's also like 30 degrees out. Nothing (shockingly) turned all the way over. PD2 had a bit of turn but was blown around the least. The pop top DD kind got pushed around even though it didn't turn much.

Double post, built the bag up for this weekend. Doubles Tournament at Clarks Run/Freedom Center.
Knowns - probably gonna snow, gonna be hellishly cold (high of 32) but luckily not supposed to be windier than 5 mph.
Clarks Run is a fantastic but extremely difficult course. I'm definitely carrying too many distance drivers for it, but I do want a wide range of fairways.
Bag set up
1 PD2 - probably won't need it, might take it out, I don't remember the course quite well enough.
3X wraiths - metal flake, pop top, flippy lightweight gonna be using these for forehands a lot
1 starfire - old beat star, will flip a teensy bit
1 Firebird - shimmer star, the most workable of my OS choices; two firebirds and one FD3
2x tridents - one quite flippy and one more stable, my first moonshine one is developing some turn faster than expected, especially on forehands gotta keep that in mind when playing.
1 F1 - teebirdesque
3x F2 - fresh proto that flies like that F1 but with subtle difference, a hyzerflip one and a uber flippy for stuff like patent pendings when I need to go straight but throwing a hyzer weakly is the only option.
3x m2 - stable 750, money 400 and beat up 200 for flips and turnovers and flip to right drift and patent pending things
1 breaker
2 Pa4
1 stego
2 mercy

36 at Clark's Run. It's a real gem of a course, if you're ever in the northern Virginia area or like Winchester/Leesburg it's absolutely worth a play. Hole 15 needs to beat in a little bit, but overall it's just a phenomenal course.

Doubles my partner Jack and I shot a 61 overall to tie for 3rd, top round in our division was a 59. The Shiley Bros tore it up, but I can't find the actual score, pretty sure they broke the 50's. My sub 300' shots were good and some full power rips were good, but my fairway control was horrible all day, couldn't hit a line backhand. Luckily I made up for it with a way better than normal sidearm day. I think I'm getting the hang of the timing, and powering my shoulder through it. It's the most confident I've ever been sidearm.

For our dubs round I threw everything I bagged except the PD2 (lol) and the F1. Honestly there was a shot I should have thrown the PD2, for a crazy anny sidearm flex, but threw a trident and it burned into the ground. Old Starfire is getting a bit too flippy for it's slot, probably has a -1 turn now. Probably gonna cycle it out, might give it to a friend. Unless one of my dedicated followers wants a hideous, heavily inked starfire I once chained out a 360' hyzer with.

After dubs round played a speed round before the snow, shot a 75 which isn't great, but that course is so hard. If I had just cut down a couple blow up holes (12, 14, 17) and cleaned up my in the circle putting I could have broken into the high 60's.