• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Nova

I agree with the zero turn, but both of mine have just the slightest amount of fade, maybe a .5 or .25 on Innova's scale. I max out at about 250 with it, so maybe that is part of it. I love the disc and agree it is almost completely point and shoot, but I have never owned a disc that had zero turn and zero fade out of the box. I don't think it is possible to make a disc that way, although one can season to that type of flight.

there's always going to be fade because of spin. but the amount of fade nova's have is that much smaller that it looks like its going dead straight. coupled with the fact that the nova's overmold is so grippy where a broken in aviar would normally go really straight then fade and skip a little, the nova doesn't skip nearly at all.

the fun thing I love about the nova is that if you want to go straight at a target, especially on downhill shots in the 250-300ft range you than throw it hard and high and it'll go straight and keep on its line and just float down towards the pin. Thats what separates it from other similarly shaped putters (like a beat in aviar)... it'll float and descend down straight if thrown correctly.

the fun thing I love about the nova is that if you want to go straight at a target, especially on downhill shots in the 250-300ft range you than throw it hard and high and it'll go straight and keep on its line and just float down towards the pin. Thats what separates it from other similarly shaped putters (like a beat in aviar)... it'll float and descend down straight if thrown correctly.

Have you experienced any change in the flight of your Nova's? I don't think mine are any different from day one other than the white rim looking nasty. Although I have really not hit many trees at any speed. Also, is the rim overmold material unique to the nova? It feels more like rubber than plastic and the other discs in XT that I have felt seem to be different.

I agree with the zero turn, but both of mine have just the slightest amount of fade, maybe a .5 or .25 on Innova's scale. I max out at about 250 with it, so maybe that is part of it. I love the disc and agree it is almost completely point and shoot, but I have never owned a disc that had zero turn and zero fade out of the box. I don't think it is possible to make a disc that way, although one can season to that type of flight.

The zero fade is a BIT of an exaggeration. All discs fade a little, but the amount of fade this disc has is incredibly small, and depending on your nose and release angles it can almost not fade at all. I do find that it usually fades less for me on harder throws, but that probably has a lot to do with release angles.

The nova makes you you realize how good Mcbeth throws a disc.

Word. He is a technician with the Nova.

I've had a Nova in the bag now for close to a year. At first I didn't really care for it because I couldn't throw it like I could a Wizard on drives between 250-300. So it collected some dust in the bag. Then one day, I started throwing it for shots 200 and under and started really liking it because that rim plastic seems to just hit and stick. No more skips on slow hyzer approaches. The other thing I like is whatever line you throw it on, it pretty much stays on it.

As for the durability and changing of flight characteristics, mine's seen better days, but still flys like it did on day 1.

I bought one of the original factory second nova's. So it's been through a lot. It has definitely become flippier on driving. But still hyzer flips well. If you really crank on it, it can turn pretty hard or gently anny float.

I've got a Christmas Protostar X-out that I pulled out of my bag when the P1x came out, because the P1x felt a little better with a similar flight. However, just for kicks, I grabbed the old Nova and took it our for a few throws. It's going back in the bag. With solid snap and form it is just an arrow out to 250'+ on just my few throws. Soft turnover all the way to the ground? Check. Sweeping hyzer with loads of glide? Check. Why did I ever stop throwing this thing?

Anybody break one yet? I broke my oldest one three days ago. It broke where the flight plate meets the rim. It made a inch long cut. I hit a tree on a upshot not even very hard.

I was sad. Second disc i ever broke. First was a polecat.

I threw it deep in the pond to let it rest.

Too bad you chucked it. I'm interested to see if you can cut off the compass points and not have it affect the disc. It seems you should be able to. They are injection points, and once the disc cools, they shouldn't be needed any more.

[I am purposely not getting into a discussion of whether the disc would be PDGA legal anymore.]
[I am also purposely not getting into a discussion of whether throwing a broken disc into a pond is pollution.]

I received a used nova last week and it seems to have a soft spot in the rim where the disc flexes easier and bends down with thump pressure. The rest of the rim and core are pretty firm except one spot where it seems like it was hit hard or creased a little.

I received a used nova last week and it seems to have a soft spot in the rim where the disc flexes easier and bends down with thump pressure. The rest of the rim and core are pretty firm except one spot where it seems like it was hit hard or creased a little.

Hmm, I don't remember hitting any trees but I did have it a leagues a few times to mess around with and let people try out. We definitely weren't putting with it. Could just be a defect that I didn't notice or one of my friends may have cranked it into a tree and I just didn't see/don't remember. Have you throw it yet?

Hmm, I don't remember hitting any trees but I did have it a leagues a few times to mess around with and let people try out. We definitely weren't putting with it. Could just be a defect that I didn't notice or one of my friends may have cranked it into a tree and I just didn't see/don't remember. Have you throw it yet?

Just a little bit nothing crazy yet. Seems to fly fine short range just straight.

Could be a spot where someone worked on it before you got it. I do that with my putter to accelerate the softening, and I have spots that are much softer than others.

MyjU0mB.jpg

Just got this in the mail! Obviously took it out to the course (I didn't even have time to put my name on it yet). First throw it was nice and stable (didn't flip on me). After a few throws I got used to it and was hyzer flipping it and it would just fly dead straight. Gonna stay in the bag now. I definitely take back what I said about switching it out for the XT Colt in the Colt thread.

MyjU0mB.jpg

Just got this in the mail! Obviously took it out to the course (I didn't even have time to put my name on it yet). First throw it was nice and stable (didn't flip on me). After a few throws I got used to it and was hyzer flipping it and it would just fly dead straight. Gonna stay in the bag now. I definitely take back what I said about switching it out for the XT Colt in the Colt thread.

Puuurdy!

Hope you never shank it into any bushes. Black discs are so hard to find. I lost a couple and vowed to never buy one again. :)

That's why I bought two! :D

But yeah, I definitely hope I don't shank this anywhere that'll be hard to see. I have a white and red one that I've been using a lot up till now, which I will probably switch in if I'm ever worried I might lose it.

The glow nova is already in existence. Pretty sure it is only for tournament fundraising at this point and not a regular release.