• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Vulcan approved

Just threw that thing 380' into a field. It was at the end of our game, and my co-workers had to get back to the office, so I just got the one throw in, but it flew EXACTLY like it was rated. I almost thought it was going to turn over for a minute there, but it came back.

I picked up a 162G Vulcan yesterday and got some field practice in with it today. Hit over 350 feet on a couple of throws and turned it over once. It's very easy to throw, felt just like a slightly less stable Katana.

got a 170 white with black star stamp and a 172 red with silver star stamp today...looks strange...almost picked up a star stamped wedge too but wasnt impressed by it.

Well that was one of my farthest throws ever. I'm going to take a Katana and Nuke out with it tomorrow to see how it stacks up, but I have to say, it was the first time a distance driver really made me feel like it added distance to my throw. I haven't touched any high-speed stuff for a while now, though, so I might actually be me instead of the disc. lol

I picked up a Star 167g Star-Stamped Yellow Vulcan today. I was only able to get 10 field throws out of it but I can after those ten shots say that I am by far more immediately impressed by this disc than anything else I have thrown just after purchase. Now, things may change because I have several discs that I initially disliked that I have come around on after some work, most notably the Roc, TeeBird, and River. So there is a chance that this disc may spoil on me.

However, what impressed me the most was that it require almost zero learning curve to achieve awesome results. Of note, during the summer I have 400-420 foot power, that is both open field and on the course, and mainly with a Z Nuke or if conditions are favorable with a Star Katana or Echo Star Wraith. During the winter that is reduced to something more in the neighborhood of 360 with the average closer to 340.

Very first throw with the Star Vulcan I took it cautiously because I was expecting it to be crazy understable. I threw flat across the chest at about 60 percent power, 1 step walk-up. The result was no turn and only a mild fade but easily 300 feet. For the next six throws I went back to my normal X-Step and tried throwing around 75%. Each time I saw a little turn and an equally soft fade, finishing straight on the intended line, easily getting 330+, and never more than six to seven feet off the ground. Even on the shots where I did not get a perfectly timed release, a tad too early or late, the Vulcan did not do anything stupid. Without overexaggerating my throw or going too hard, I was trying to flip it but the disc held true everytime, a slight turn 1/3 of the flight in and fading during the last 1/3.

I swear this discs is not a -4 High Speed Turn, more like a -1.5 or -2, at least when thrown at 75% of my power. I suppose if I were to really open it up I might see some more turn. The last good throw I had of the day got 340' and would have gotten more if it had not struck a snow bank three feet up.

Again, what most impressed me is that it could take my initially cautious throw and show great results. It then produced similar and expected results as I increased my power. It was incredibly predictable, easy to throw, and easy to repeat that throw. I have three Flows, (2 GL and 1 Opto). While I am somewhat comfortable with the Opto, I am having trouble adjusting to the Gold Lines. The Vulcan is making a strong case for me to give up on the GL Flows until the snow is gone (so I do not lose any on my wild throws).

The vulcan is the best and farthest distance driver I have ever thrown. Easily 50' farther than my destroyers. I fh the destroyers about 375', 400' when im lucky. Been working on my bh with tee birds and I havent really tried anything faster, untill today! This just changed part of my game, cause my previous bh average distance was about 300'. I went to a football field and threw from under the goal post and the disc went through the opposite posts! Easily! Only threw it twice cause its -5 outside. All I can say is WOW!

Not Impressed. I tested the Star Vulcan along side my slightly worn X Nuke and the X Nuke consistently out performed the Vulcan for me. The X Nuke began turning at a lower speed but added turn gradually and reliably as you powered onto it. The turn on the Vulcan is almost non existent at low speeds and comes out big as you add power. The Vulcan seems more nose angle sensitive. The X Nuke glides better. Maybe the Vulcan will get better with wear but I really don't want to use it that long.

I was finally able to get out for a second day of throwing with the Vulcan. I can say that I am not as impressed with it today as I was for my first few throws. However, I want to give this disclaimer: today I was wearing my work boots, not my snow boots which makes a world of difference. My work boots have the type of soles that basically have zero traction when walking on ice. A couple of my throws went skyward as I landed on my back and there were a few other times my throws were all snap and no arm because I unconsciously kept my arm near my body to maintain my center of gravity.

What I am finding is that I get great results when I throw flat or with the slightest hyzer. In these cases the Vulcan does not develop more than what I would call a -2 turn. It turns a little but stays relatively flat to the ground and then fades softly at the end, bringing it back into the original line on the target. However, when given even the slightest anhyzer release it could never fight out of it. Not even a high anhyzer flex line like how I would put any other high speed driver on. When given the slightest bit of hyzer and thrown about six to eight feet of the ground it had a beautiful S. When given significant hyzer, it became like any other disc and held it. The difference is that it got very good winter distance. The down side of this kind of throw is that it still had so much speed when it hit the ground that it had some of the hardest skips I have ever seen, and this was in powdery snow. I can only imagine what it would be like on harder ground.

Love this Vulcan

Got interrupted, Anyways, I usually throw A Star Valk, Katana and the occasional beast as my drivers. But its looking like I get more consistency and a little more distance from this Vulcan. But the best part of this disc is the name. I run a ball golf trophy and souvenir shop and have to get famous autographs all the time with certificates. So I rolled the dice and sent 3 Star Vulcans to Leonard Nimoys office in LA. His "People" got back to me yesterday :clap: and asked me what I wanted written on them. I told them to write, " Throw Long and Prosper" and his signature. Cant wait to get them and will post pics when I do. I should of sent 10 down there! :doh: :wall:

Got interrupted, Anyways, I usually throw A Star Valk, Katana and the occasional beast as my drivers. But its looking like I get more consistency and a little more distance from this Vulcan. But the best part of this disc is the name. I run a ball golf trophy and souvenir shop and have to get famous autographs all the time with certificates. So I rolled the dice and sent 3 Star Vulcans to Leonard Nimoys office in LA. His "People" got back to me yesterday :clap: and asked me what I wanted written on them. I told them to write, " Throw Long and Prosper" and his signature. Cant wait to get them and will post pics when I do. I should of sent 10 down there! :doh: :wall:

that, Sir, is quite simply awesome, looking forward to the eventual pics

Awesome!:thmbup:

When the Katana came out I heard all these same types of comments......then I noticed every seasoned pro on my course was carrying one. I can't wait til these discs come out and you are all throwing them.

Hating Noobs is sophomoric....but its funny to watch the pile on thats occurring here.
Can't wait til February when everyone has their Ice Bowl Vulcan and are clamoring to throw it but won't talk about it online because buying new discs is what "noobs" do....LOL

Word.

I thinks thats an awesome idea to get Dr. Spock to autograph some Vulcans. I haven't seen/thrown one yet, and probably won't buy one( I dislike Innova), but I hear they are nice; like a Groove without the Groove. Oh yeah, I always forget that nobody throws a groove like I did.

BTW-Anyone got any ideas of what the picture on a DX model might be?

Last edited:
I thinks thats an awesome idea to get Dr. Spock to autograph some Vulcans. I haven't seen/thrown one yet, and probably won't buy one( I dislike Innova), but I hear they are nice; like a Groove without the Groove. Oh yeah, I always forget that nobody throws a groove like I did.

BTW-Anyone got any ideas of what the picture on a DX model might be?

The DX picture of the Destroyer is not even close to a Star Wars related graphic despite everyone who likes Star Wars purchasing a Star Destroyer when it came out.

Vulcan is a Roman good of volcanoes and lava. Likely the graphic will be close to that.

Awesome to the 10th power! I didn't know something could kick that much ass, but the idea you came up with , certainly did. We done sir.:hfive:

You my friend are a Genius!!

Cheers - Koffee

The Vulcan is is a high speed under stable driver. Wouldn't we all love something faster than a roadrunner/monarch/insert beat up disc here for a roller? Big arms will appreciate the speed at which this thing will hit the ground and take off. Intermediate players will the love how fast this disc will fly off a hyzer flip. Noobs will be noobs forever. Everyone should contribute to disc golf. If you think you're better than someone out on your course, then approach them if you think you can help them on something. If they don't want your help then they'll let you know. Disc golf is mainly a community sport. Only around 10-15 players are making legitimate money at this sport, and until it grows more, we all have to help each other. If you think you're a baller and better than everyone, stop being a douche and give a beginner some tips on how they can improve their game. Maybe tell them some good beginner discs/courses they can try out.