• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

(insert pro disc golfer's name) leaving (insert established disc golf company name)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more and more intrigued that more and more pros are leaving . . . supposedly for the same company. If they take on a bunch of the top players in the game and are a young company, I wonder how sustainable is their business model. Are they going to be a non-profit and act somewhat like a players union? Or are they doing this to make money and partner with the young pros to help them accomplish the same thing for themselves?

I am not being a doubting thomas or a negative nancy . . . but I am by my nature inquisitive. Obviously I am basing my own comments on speculation . . . and will reserve the right to adjust my comments and observations based on fact when it is announced what the grand plan is.

I can't wait to hear the supposed news on January 1st . . . or whenever it happens.

I am skeptical myself, but I feel like I am allowed to be that way until they give me something to test. That is part of the reason I dis like the way they are going about the big announcement on Jan 1. I think I will sooner throw DD than I will Prodigy. At least with DD I was getting information sooner than some of their sponsored players.

I am skeptical myself, but I feel like I am allowed to be that way until they give me something to test. That is part of the reason I dis like the way they are going about the big announcement on Jan 1. I think I will sooner throw DD than I will Prodigy. At least with DD I was getting information sooner than some of their sponsored players.

I agree wholeheartedly . . . I personally am not a fan of one by one systematically announcing "I am moving sponsors" without actually saying anything specific. Their announcements while truthful . . . make them look like they overvalue themselves . . .they should have announced it all together with the manufacturer. They are building hype by doing it this way which in the end could make them all look bad (IN MY OPINION). I would have rather heard from "Prodigy Disc Golf" that they are going to be sponsoring X, Y, Z, AA, BB, and CC players since it is truthfully their announcement to make.

I might offend a pro or two here . . . but they are not bigger than the sponsor they have. Let the sponsor make the announcement and then acknowledge what the sponsor said as opposed to saying you have moved sponsors and diminishing the announcement that the new sponsor actually has to say.

AGAIN I REALIZE THIS IS ALL MY OPINION AND I HOPE YOU ALL REALIZE I WISH NO ILL WILL ON ANYONE. I HOPE THE PROS DO WELL WITH THIS MOVE . . .JUST AS I HOPE THE NEW SPONSOR CAN MAKE A TIDAL WAVE IN THE GAME FROM A MANUFACTURING STANDPOINT.

However . . . the pros are not bigger than the game . . . they are not the only essential piece to the puzzle, they need amateurs as much as we need them. The manufacturers need the pros to show their products are quality and worthy of being played exclusively by the pros. . . but they also need the ams to buy said products to make the company money.

It is a give and take and I hope the new deal these pros have made helps themselves as well as the company . . . and I hope the company is looking at the sustainability of their business model.

Either way change is good. . . even if it isn't the most successful venture it was an attempt at change. People will learn from it and move on and become better because of it.

I can't wait until the drama is over and we can get back to just moving our sport forward . . . I am doing it my own way and with what information and knowledge I have. Some may not agree with my ways . . .but it is the best information I have to move the sport forward in my way . . . and I am not second guessing the pros . . . this new venture might be the best information they have to move the sport forward in their way. Hopefully it all works out for everyone and we all benefited.

Let's keep up the momentum, there are plenty of good people out there. Let's make sure to capitalize on everyone's strengths and we will all be better off.

Mike Harrington
The Disc Golf Experience (www.thediscgolfexperience.com)

Sounds like so many pros times X amount of shares = not much individual revenue. I suppose they'll have signature discs though too.

2012 has been less than an amazing disc golf year. However, I did reach a 900+ rating thanks to Innova, Discraft, Gateway and Lat 64. I cannot express how grateful I am to these manufacturers of such fine, if not inconsistent, discs. I Love You Man! So now it is with regret that I announce I no longer will be throwing any of these discs in 2013 because I too have found a new amazing disc golf sponsor. Kids... are you ready for the Big Announcement??? ekiN Disc Golf is putting out a new line of plastic. Because me and so many other top 900+ players will be huking these new discs, I am sure you too will dumb down and rush out to buy as many discs as possible to make us all feel better about ourselves. "They love me Martha, they really do love me"!!!!

Jeremy Koling just jumped on the ship too.
From his facebook page.

hehe!!!!!!! i just have to laugh at that

i am proud to be a non ship jumper and not waiting til the beg announcement:thmbup:

discraft all damn day!!!!!

Funny. All you people in this thread sayin "i dont care who goes where, Ill throw what I want, i dont throw discs based on what this or that pro throws"

Only to see later in the thread people saying "i doubt i'll throw their stuff because they didnt tell me their secrets" or "ill throw this companies stuff before that company because their plans were more clear"

Lol gimme a break

hehe!!!!!!! i just have to laugh at that

i am proud to be a non ship jumper and not waiting til the beg announcement:thmbup:

discraft all damn day!!!!!

Just when you think you can't be a bigger MJ fan... MJ for President?

I think MJ is jockeying for the "People's Champ" title. Will Schwebbie go down without a fight?

I think MJ is jockeying for the "People's Champ" title. Will Schwebbie go down without a fight?

i think it'll be tough to knock him off the hill, he's bigger than i am! :)

I'll gladly take co-peoples Champ! Schwebby's too much fun!

I'll go with that. He is a big dude but you're right he's too laid back to fight over something like that.

I say we start the "People's Team":
Schwebbie
MJ
Barsby
???

I'll go with that. He is a big dude but you're right he's too laid back to fight over something like that.

Schwebbie
MJ
Barsby
???

thats a good start to some fun right there!

This thread just confirms why MJ is my favorite pro. Dude could throw paper plates and hula hoops and I'd still cheer for him (and he could probably still wipe the floor with me)

Schwebbie
MJ
Barsby
???

I second this motion. Can DGCR members kick in sponsorship $$ to make our own "People's Team"? Get some seet apparel and such. That would be fun.

wait I forgot one: McBeast!! sorry Paul
so the team is:
Schwebbie
MJ
Barsby
McBeast

actually we now have a doubles pair representing NC and Cali. Now we just need to fill in some spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.