• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Internet wisdom?

Good luck learning to better your technique with your (insert high speed driver).

3354034848a6809394389ml.jpg

^^LOL

I disc down for practice and play when Im working on a form issue. Not going to do any better in competition with faster discs while throwing like crap.

My rounds vary at most 3 strokes when Im using just my mids and putters.

Top pros support dd'n, they just dont support a snide version.
Both carry fairway drivers and learned from slower drivers. Ask them how far they throw tb's.

Dd'n isnt just for cleaning oat . If wholeheartly followed, one should have learned good course management, versitility of their discs, and how height effects distance. Anytime you are working on changing your form, the results will be observed much easier for most with a slower disc they can consistantly get a full flight from.

DD is a tool for those that arent satisfied with their game. In competitive play, a smart golfer should usually play their percentages.
Slowroll, i feel that you are always trying to disprove dd :|

They do this because yes, they NEED reliability and consistency to win tournaments (and make money).

But, they CAN bomb their putters out 300' and their mids 350', and that ability is what allows them to bomb drivers 500, 600' +.

Discing down is a form of practice and technique building, no one has ever suggested that it should be used for tournament play.

This. Discing down is a technique used to get yourself familiar with the mechanics, once you are familiar (by familiar, I mean at the level you want to improve to, because once you disc up, improvement rates drop off a lot) with them, throw whatever gets you closest most often. The "rules" change then.

The big problem is everyone thinks discing down should be done for a lifetime. It's a training technique, like athletes wearing weighted vests underneath their uniforms during practice season to build speed. They don't keep wearing them once it's time for the regular season. The same applies to discing down.

another thing: they say that they disc up for consistency because faster and more stable discs fly more consistently once you have a consistent throw. They're less affected by wind. The thing about discing down is, once again, actually building a consistent throw.

Last edited:
Slower discs teach mistakes better than faster discs.

I'd add that faster discs can encourage bad form, especially in new players.

Dude nailed it.

Think of it this way. If you can throw a putter 300' and you step up to a 300' hole with whatever layout, you have the option of using every disc in your bag to get there. If you throw your putter 200' you'll be limited to your distance drivers. Who do you think will encounter more 300' holes they can deuce comfortably? It isn't always about powering down, either. Many times just throwing a hyzer with a faster disc instead of a straight shot with a slower disc will be more reliable, but they both require the same power.

I'd add that neutral fairway drivers, mids, and putters are far easier to control than high speed drivers. Fast drivers are subject to radical skips they're difficult to land flat. It's much easier to throw a pure line with a slower disc.

Of course they don't throw their putters on 300'+ drives.. they don't have an Anode in their bag.

- good course management
- versitility of their discs
- how height effects distance.

These are neither lessons where discing down is required, nor are they inherent benefits of discing down. Sorry, that's just propaganda.

If you want to learn course management, take your whole bag to a course when its empty and throw as many lines as you can find on lots of different holes until you lock in the high % line.

If you want to learn about a single mold's versatility, take that mold to a field and throw it 100 times...that's not discing down, that's just practicing.

Same thing for height affecting distance, just take ANY disc and practice different release angles and nose angles until you've mastered it.

I look at discing down similarly to learning a musical instrument. You're not going to pick up a guitar today and learn to play Pantera on your first day. No you're going to start with the basics. I think discing down is like going back to the basics. It's much easier to get a slower more neutral disc to turn over.

Yes you could take your fastest most stable driver to a field and throw it 100 times and learn the disc. But if your form sucks you're only going to learn that you can throw that disc on a short hyzer. Unless you always throw that disc with an anhyzer release. Then you'll get some distance out of that disc but you may sacrifice your form and control with other discs by doing this.

Maybe not everyone needs to disc down. But it's probably beneficial to periodically check your form by driving your putters/neutral mids in a field or on an empty course.

As others have stated. It's practice. You're training with the slower neutral discs so that you can develop consistent form with a clean release.

Same thing for height affecting distance, just take ANY disc and practice different release angles and nose angles until you've mastered it.
Except it's much more difficult to do with faster discs. It's much easier to learn to throw slower discs high and nose down than it is faster discs.

maybe Feldberg and Climo were trying to promote their signature discs? (Boss, wraith, firebird, etc)
Climo has the Roc, Aviar and Teebird, too.

Current conventional internet wisdom is that we should disc down to improve our game in the long run. Working towards learning how to throw our putters 250'-300', our Mids 300'-350', and our fairway drivers 350' - 380'. The numbers vary depending upon who is telling people this, but you get the general idea. This sounds like a great idea because thrown properly a Wizard can fly 300'. A Roc can fly well over 300', and of course a Teebird can fly over 400' as well.

But did you know that the very best discgolfers in the world think this is nonsense? A good friend of mine recently had seperate 1 on 1 private lessons from Ken Climo in FL and David Feldberg while he was here in TN. He spent almost 3 hours with each of them and both of them said the same thing. If the shot is anywhere close to over 200' away they throw their mids not their putters. They also switch to fairway drivers at distances substantially less than what the conventional internet wisdom suggests. In other words; for better control and reliability they disc up, where we all are being told to disc down. For Dave especially, it was all about reliability. These men make their living playing this game and do everything they can to improve their odds of winning. They take what they do very seriously, so when I heard this my ears perked up a little. I just thought that we might ought to take a moment to discuss this.

Your thoughts?

Original post quoted for reference.

Top pros support dd'n, they just dont support a snide version.
Both carry fairway drivers and learned from slower drivers. Ask them how far they throw tb's.

Dd'n isnt just for cleaning oat . If wholeheartly followed, one should have learned good course management, versitility of their discs, and how height effects distance. Anytime you are working on changing your form, the results will be observed much easier for most with a slower disc they can consistantly get a full flight from.

DD is a tool for those that arent satisfied with their game. In competitive play, a smart golfer should usually play their percentages.
Slowroll, i feel that you are always trying to disprove dd :|

Good morning craftsman. I did not offer my opinion in the original post because I didn't want to lead people towards one opinion or the other. I instead shared something interesting and asked all of you what you thought of the comments made by Ken and Dave. I found their comments to be very interesting and thought some of you may as well. Ken has all of the knowledge from his years of high level play but sometimes has trouble with the communication aspect of teaching. Dave on the other hand has a great handle on how to communicate the concepts of discgolf but is sometimes viewed as arrogant and dislikable. Both men however know what they are talking about and we would be wise to listen to them.

My own opinion(since you seem to have called me out on the carpet) is that discing down is a tool to teach people that they can throw discs that do not need as much room to maneuver. The putters and mids do not wash out as much so you get a straighter flight and on some holes that is a real benefit. Discing down is also a good tool to teach players that the big speed numbers on their discs don't mean much unless you can actually get them up to that speed. My Valkyrie and beat in Surge have all been able to go as far for me as any Boss, Katana, or Nuke I've tried. That has been my experience.

I throw my Wizards about 200', Drone 250', and Buzzz 270' and for me, that is enough. I hear what you all are saying but I don't see enough of a reason to hamstring myself by attempting to play entire rounds with just these slow discs. Honestly I'm not really sure who you people are that have infinite time to play all these practice rounds with just mids and putters in addition to playing competitive rounds with your full bag. I'm at a point in my life where I am lucky if I get to play twice a week. I'm certainly not going to spend those few rounds being miserable because I only brought 1/3rd of my bag with me.

But I am no pro. Anyone that has played with me on here can verify that I am what I say I am. An amatuer that can shoot near even par on courses he's never seen before. I'm no prize winner, but I'm no dummy either. Discgolf for me is a way to decompress. Life is hard, work is hard, discgolf is supposed to be for fun and that's all I want it to be anymore.

God bless.

Last edited:
I don't see enough of a reason to hamstring myself by attempting to play entire rounds with just these slow discs. Honestly I'm not really sure who you people are that have infinite time to play all these practice rounds with just mids and putters in addition to playing competitive rounds with your full bag.

How much time you have to play will obviously dictate what you want to do. I wouldn't worry about my technique or disc'n down too much if I was lucky to get in a round or two a week.

I play enough that half the time my buddies and I end up concocting mini-games that involve a limited number of discs or unnecessarily difficult mandos/tee positions when we're at our home courses. Disc'n down doesn't have to be as boring as going out to a field and torturing yourself with comets and putters for weeks on end. I do it on occasion to keep the game fresh and entertaining.

How many rounds have the pros played with beginners and rec players this year? How many completely packed parks of chuckers have they waded through to get a round in? How many guys throwing an Ape 50ft forward and 70ft left have they waited on as they took 6 throws to play an open 250ft hole?

We're on the front lines of newbness and the pros are out of touch with reality if they or anyone else thinks that the fastest way to learn disc golf is to pack your bag up with 30 discs and go hit the course. I don't care how good they are, being great at something doesn't mean you know the best way for others to learn or that you can teach them any better than a guy who sucks.

How many professional players in other sports go on to be great coaches and teachers of the game?

When I started I was throwing a Wraith at 200ft holes and it wasn't until I came on this site and heard of discing down that I realized what I was doing was counterproductive. When I hit 350' and couldn't go any further I again disced down and went back to TLs to get more distance and work on my form. Now I don't even have anything faster than a speed 9 disc in my bag because where I live, 450' is quite enough.

Last edited:
How many rounds have the pros played with beginners and rec players this year? How many completely packed parks of chuckers have they waded through to get a round in? How many guys throwing an Ape 50ft forward and 70ft left have they waited on as they took 6 throws to play an open 250ft hole?

We're on the front lines of newbness and the pros are out of touch with reality if they or anyone else thinks that the fastest way to learn disc golf is to pack your bag up with 30 discs and go hit the course. I don't care how good they are, being great at something doesn't mean you know the best way for others to learn or that you can teach them any better than a guy who sucks.

How many professional players in other sports go on to be great coaches and teachers of the game?

very insightful. a little early in the morning for that isnt it?

Except it's much more difficult to do with faster discs. It's much easier to learn to throw slower discs high and nose down than it is faster discs.

From personal experience, learning to throw a midrange high and nose down isn't going to teach you how to throw a speed 13 the same way.

Also, even if I grant you that point, it still doesn't disprove what I said. Craftsmans post stated nothing inherent or unique to discing down. Even if it IS more difficult, it's far from impossible.

Uh, we're talking about Climo and Feldberg who are great teachers of this game...

Also, like any sane person, I'd trust them more over an internet forum of amateurs (150% including myself in the latter grouping).

This. Discing down is a technique used to get yourself familiar with the mechanics, once you are familiar (by familiar, I mean at the level you want to improve to, because once you disc up, improvement rates drop off a lot) with them, throw whatever gets you closest most often. The "rules" change then.

The big problem is everyone thinks discing down should be done for a lifetime. It's a training technique, like athletes wearing weighted vests underneath their uniforms during practice season to build speed. They don't keep wearing them once it's time for the regular season. The same applies to discing down.

another thing: they say that they disc up for consistency because faster and more stable discs fly more consistently once you have a consistent throw. They're less affected by wind. The thing about discing down is, once again, actually building a consistent throw.

Just gonna bold out this point so everyone notices.

From personal experience, learning to throw a midrange high and nose down isn't going to teach you how to throw a speed 13 the same way.

Also, even if I grant you that point, it still doesn't disprove what I said. Craftsmans post stated nothing inherent or unique to discing down. Even if it IS more difficult, it's far from impossible.
So what's the argument? You're just saying that there's a slight possibility that someone might be able to learn to throw high and nose down without the use of slower discs even though a vast majority will never learn it that way? Being "technically right" is next to useless in situations like this where you're giving general advice. Technically you don't need any advice from anyone to learn to throw 500', but that's an awful reason to not try to help anyone learn.

So what's the argument? You're just saying that there's a slight possibility that someone might be able to learn to throw high and nose down without the use of slower discs even though a vast majority will never learn it that way? Being "technically right" is next to useless in situations like this where you're giving general advice. Technically you don't need any advice from anyone to learn to throw 500', but that's an awful reason to not try to help anyone learn.

are you trying to make sense to this guy??