• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is it cool to cut down saplings?

I've got permission from the staff at Lakeshore Technical College to remove and trim as I see fit; however, I was out there the other day actively scouting new locations for an additional 9, and there would be some little guys that need to be taken down to accommodate the new holes. Fortunately, while I was scouting these new wooded holes, I noticed that numerous dead/dead-ish trees had a bright-orange spraypaint stroke across their trunks, to me indicating future removal, which made me ecstatic since I could envision the new holes sans spraypainted trees.

As far as cutting stuff down yourself during a casual round, without permission from the Park/Rec Dept or the landowner?....despicable. Heck, I bitch at my friends in recreational play when they even move a branch in front of them to get a more favorable lie.

Don't even carry a saw and cut s**t down unless you're responsible (solely or partly) for the course upkeep, and only if something has become a safety hazard or is restricting the way a hole was intended to be played.

Think about it this way: your friend made a permanent destructive change to a place in the park that's only going to be used for disc golf for a single day. How many years will it take to grow those trees back after your temporary hole is barely even a memory? This was a destructive act, not a legitimate change to a disc golf hole. If this was a public park, your friend probably could have been fined for cutting down the trees. I know when my local club clears brush for a new fairway, we have to be very careful to get clear and specific approval to cut any trees and branches that are anything more than underbrush, and we've never been allowed to cut anything thicker than 4".

What if your disc is under a dead, fallen tree, and you can't really stand behind it. Can you shift the tree over or what?

I believe its acceptable. It has been a while since I played a sanctioned tournament, and I certainly haven't had a chance to see the newest rule book. But, it was explained to me when I started that it was acceptable to move any sticks, branches, or other material as long as the lie itself is not moved.

Dead wrong. whoever told you that was trying to get you dq'ed, or just generally farking with you.

what, is this tree on the edge of a cliff? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nah, it was directly in front of another tree. It fell (lightning?) beside this other tree and my disc lands under the fallen tree and in front of the standing tree. You have to do some advanced yoga to get a foot in there behind the lie b/c the disc was under the part of the tree where the main limbs were branching off the trunk. Hard to explain.

ahhh my head hurts :wall:

want simple rules e.g. don't do nothing to nothing just throw idiot...:)

yea! keep the trees that was pretty stupid but it takes a fool to do something stupid...

trees make oxygen + sequester carbon = a keeper :doh:<I knew that one>

Wait, that 100 year old tree is in my way, let me pull out my swiss army 5 foot chainsaw attachment....

I'll read guys the riot act if I see them snap a branch, but a saw? Only 6 saplings? Anybody who does that is a douche. Anybody who watches somebody do that and says nothing is also a douche.

Can't believe someone had to ask this question...throw the tomahawk and leave the saw at home.

If it's not your course you don't mess with it. I love wooded holes, but Sweden in Brockport is too much foiliage for my taste, that does not give me the right to remove pesky branches or saplings to suit my tastes

GOOD GOD! I asked the question because I felt bad about what I saw, I did not agree with it, condone it, or support it. People generally ask questions to learn. Therefore, my goal was to poll the disc golf community as to whether it was cool or un-cool. If this is the wrong approach please tell me and I will continue to be ignorant. As for mr. smoooth, being a douche for witnessing this act? Are you serious? Should I file a police report? Call parks and rec. and have him permanently banned? Do you want proof so that I can have my "douche" status removed? I think you need to refrain from replying to posts, since you only having insulting remarks to make.

Read the post man! NOT ME. I witnessed it.

also it says you (mrjohnahawley) are allowed to cut down trees for the advancement of the course. so it's kind of like your course.
so, bring an axe and cut what ever helps your course, including the arms of anyone who carrys a saw in their bag.

I hear ya! Trust me after the tongue lashing I have received on here about this topic, I am most definitely passing it on to my idiot friend that slaughtered the saplings. I appreciate everyones views and opinions on this subject. Although, I must admit being called a douche for seeing this happen is taking things a bit too far. If we are all such eco friendly, tree hugging hippies, then there shouldnt be any negative vibes should there?

It should be obvious that tree-cutting is way beyond "uncool". You might have told your friends they shouldn't. I wouldn't expect you to go so far as to fight them, call the police, or report it to the park. That's up to you. As is getting new friends.

I've had this argument with players around here, contemplating doing some unauthorized grooming. If your friends cut down some trees to make the course "better" in their judgement, then I come and do the same, then the next guy, pretty soon you're playing in a desert. Trust me---the opinions on what trees need to go, or not, varies wildly. That's why a course needs one person, or a handful, to make those decisions....and everyone else to just play.

It should be obvious that tree-cutting is way beyond "uncool". You might have told your friends they shouldn't. I wouldn't expect you to go so far as to fight them, call the police, or report it to the park. That's up to you. As is getting new friends.

"Officer, I am at at a park right now and a guy is breaking tree branches"
"sir why are you whispering"
"He's gonna hear me...oh He just stepped on a sapling"
"sir Is a crime being committed"
"Hurry, I am hiding behind a tree, but I left my bag on the tee...wait, Dude, just stole all my weed"
*Click
:doh:

Read the post man! NOT ME. I witnessed it.

way to own up to what you and your GROUP did on the course. I know technically you didnt do anything, but you were playing with guy that did. Who the hell brings a bow saw to DG course anyway? prob was trying to kill you n put your body in the woods

Latest posts