• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Is there an Aviar-ish putter that feels like a Buzzz?

Sorta by accident my old Banger GT recently ended up in my bag. It was my first putter, given to me by the friend who introduced me to disc golf, but it never worked for me. It seemed to have waaaaay too much fade, which in retrospect was almost certainly due to my total cluelessness about putting form. Now I've started using it for upshots and longer putts, and I really, really like it. It just might take the place of the Pure.

I used the Banger for a couple of years and thought it felt perfect in my hand. Every time I pick one up now I'm like WTF:confused::gross:? Just feels alien now.

MVP's putters seem like they'd fit the requirement of a thinner putter. My Axis feels like a Buzzz to my not-so-discerning paws.
(Not saying the Axis is a putter)

Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy Envy

The atom feels to me like what you are describing wanting.

It's like a lower profile Aviar and has a higher buzzzish shoulder. I love mine.

This was my thought also. I like the Atom and also the ION.

^ Envy...OR Atom....Atom for chalky softer feel, honestly I was looking for a Buzzz-like putter....and the Envy and Atom are them....Pure is decent, but more understable than I wanted for that Puzzer Butt disc

Do any >980 players putt with a Pure, to anyone's knowledge? I love throwing Pures, but for inside the circle putting, they seem too fast to me.

The Atom is what you're looking for. Colt, Stud, Shaman are other solid options; Low profile and in the meat of the stability spectrum. The new Innova Mirage would also fit the bill, but it's not in production yet, and not as stable as the others I mentioned.

I picked up a Roach last weekend and I must say I really like it. It's fast, it has a beadless Aviar type rim, it shows some high speed turn with a nice fade at the end. For me it is a great line shaping thrower off the tee. It does not fit my putting form very well but I use other things for putters. My friends have taken to calling it the Roach-Approach because of how well it flies for upshots from 150 ft. I will be getting one of these in Big Z plastic soon as the Pro-D plastic is just not very durable.

In short, it is an Aviar-ish putter that feels like a Buzzz.

Do any >980 players putt with a Pure, to anyone's knowledge? I love throwing Pures, but for inside the circle putting, they seem too fast to me.

I can only speak for myself, but that doesn't really enter my mind when picking something as personal in the game as a putter.

atom atom atom atom envy atom envy atom atom atom atom atom atom envy atom envy atom atom atom atom atom atom envy atom envy atom atom atom atom atom atom envy atom envy atom atom atom atom atom atom envy atom envy atom atom atom atom atom atom envy atom envy atom atom

Like the OP, I like the flight of the Aviar, but it is too tall. I bag a Recycled Pure, Neutron Envy and a Soft Atom.

The Atom gets most of my putting duties, unless it is a steep uphill shot, then the less stability of the Pure becomes helpful. The Envy gets more upshots and wind putts...or times that I am off balance, the Envy (it may be mental) seems release cleaner than any disc I have ever thrown.

There is NOTHING wrong with putting with a Pro D buzzz. Many...

I agree, there are times that I putt with the Alias for out of the circle putts.

Cam Todd, arguably the best putter ever, will even putt with a driver.

Last edited:
The plot thickens.

So I had this disc with a tourney stamp. It obviously had the Groove Top®, so I just assumed it must be a Banger GT. As recounted above, I putted with it, didn't like it, and forgot about it. By chance it ended up back in my bag, and I was actually diggin' it.

Then something reminded me that they used to make a Buzzz GT. I took a closer look, and yup, that's what I got. No wonder I like it for upshots.

I'm planning to play a round tomorrow, and I'll try the Pure, Aviar, Buzzz GT, and regular Buzzz on every putt, just to see what I think. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them if I get a chance, though I need to lay off the plastic acquisition for the time being.

I've tried lots of low-profile putters... Pure came close... but not quite... Summit is my go-to in rocky areas and for some approaches... but, the Shaman became my go-to putter about 2 years ago and I haven't looked back.