• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this basket location illegal, stupid or clever?

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
The first one is the only one that isn't just a tough pin placement, I think it's fun when you have to plan your approach if you want to have a good putt. The first one seems a little gimmicky, but I wouldn't have any issue with it if it was the only one like that on the course.

I don't understand what is wrong with them? I have played holes like that before.

If you didn't like those, check out #15 at Tom Triplett in Savannah. You can't see it, but there is a 4 tree, making a complete circle. I like challenges like this, it makes it interesting!

4411a704.jpg

Last edited:
i agree with mash, 2nd two aren't bad at all, see alot of that on wooded courses i been too, first ones neat, legal? i dont know, but its neat
i also agree if there was a few at the course i'd be turned off by it, i'd still play it, but doesn't seem normal :) and i'm all about norml

The first one reminds me of #9 at hornet's web, Charlotte Nc. If it's an established hole (ie not changed up a lot) You can't really say it's against regs etc. I'm used to baskets guarded by a ring of sentinel trees too so, I guess you guys need to step your games up.

The first one reminds me of #9 at hornet's web, Charlotte Nc. If it's an established hole (ie not changed up a lot) You can't really say it's against regs etc. I'm used to baskets guarded by a ring of sentinel trees too so, I guess you guys need to step your games up.

When did I say I never liked these? I just remember some PDGA higher ups saying that for tournament play some kind of perimeter around the basket had to be unimpeded blah blah...I thought that made green design pretty boring.....then I look at these basket locations and I am mystified

The 3rd is from South Vineland in NJ and hosts a PDGA tournament once a yr at least
The 2nd is from Tyler SP in PA which is top 10 on this site and hosts a number of PDGA events a yr
The 1st is from Highbridge in WI which was designed by PDGA rules and course expert (some would say NAZI ..joking Chuck but you know its what some say) Chuck Kennedy

So I was wondering if the PDGA rules are not really rules or have they changed or are they more guidelines?

There was no hate intended in this post for the record...thanks!

When did I say I never liked these? I just remember some PDGA higher ups saying that for tournament play some kind of perimeter around the basket had to be unimpeded blah blah...I thought that made green design pretty boring.....then I look at these basket locations and I am mystified

The 3rd is from South Vineland in NJ and hosts a PDGA tournament once a yr at least
The 2nd is from Tyler SP in PA which is top 10 on this site and hosts a number of PDGA events a yr
The 1st is from Highbridge in WI which was designed by PDGA rules and course expert (some would say NAZI ..joking Chuck but you know its what some say) Chuck Kennedy

So I was wondering if the PDGA rules are not really rules or have they changed or are they more guidelines?

There was no hate intended in this post for the record...thanks!
i didn't say you didn't like these, chill bro. I have no idea about PDGA rules concerning "impeded greens". In NC, at least half of the top notch courses I've played have some pretty guarded baskets.

i didn't say you didn't like these, chill bro. I have no idea about PDGA rules concerning "impeded greens". In NC, at least half of the top notch courses I've played have some pretty guarded baskets.

Same here with the courses I play...I got a bit defensive like those trees/ my bad...I just found it odd that one of Chucks courses would actually have a so called illegal basket location...but I might be wrong.

my guesses?

1. Illegal
2. Stupid or clever, depends on where the tee is
3. Clever

I like all three it makes it more interesting if I was playing a recreational round. If it was tournament play I can see getting really happy or really frustrated at them.

I don't think any of the three are illegal, but IMHO, the first one is just stupid.
Gimmicks can't replace good design.

I wouldn't mind the first one, but the basket doesn't look quite square, I'd be afraid of a leaning basket.

No problems with the other 2.

My assumption, My bad! :)

What PDGA guideline are you referring to? There's nothing illegal nor unfair about the first basket position at Highbridge which has been used in three PDGA Majors and several lower tier events. Players have complete access 360 degrees to the basket from any distance within the 10 meter putting circle. In fact, the access to the basket is even better from some angles because you can play bank shots off the trunks into the chains if you wish. If you don't think bank shots are appropriate in disc golf, check with world champ, Barry Schultz who has been seen practicing them as a general skill to perfect, not just for putting on baskets like these. The triple tree is on a slight slope so even shorter people can get at the basket from the back side. There's a nearby branch if your disc sticks on top of the basket.

The basket was settled into position firm and level nestled against the three tree trunks but it occasionally gets bumped hard or players mess with the position. We didn't want to permanently install the basket because it might interfere with tree growth. However, players are allowed to go and re-level any basket before putting if it gets tipped such as a portable at an event where maybe a shim used to level it on a slope got bumped and it went out of level or fell over.

the basket elevated in the tree looks a bit gimmicky, or lacks a certain aessthetic to me, but would almost certainly be enjoyable a few times (or more: who knows?). the other two simply look like mildly guarded baskets. there's a placement for #18 at my home course that can swing the match by a couple strokes, simply because of the tightness and pachinko nature of the tress that guard the direct approach to the green.

hole18pinBthejail.jpg

we call it "the jail"...i'm sure others do too- we're not that creative. some of the 'gaps' are literally not wide enough to fit a disc flat through. there's a more open approach to the right, out of the piture, that's not much more safe.

Last edited:
I like fun pin placements, as long as they are real placements. Hanging baskets are great! The first pic is not good because it looks to be just leaning. If it was straight up and down, I would say, great!

Latest posts