• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

John Houck came to Hindman in Little Rock...

Jamie, I don't really have a "side." Just some simple facts about Parc Des Familles.

1. We were a subcontractor for the Engineering Firm, not the GC.

2. The GC bought baskets from us. We charged them $325 per basket, which is the same price they would have gotten from the manufacturer.

And there you have it.

Well apologies for the misdirected reaction are in order. I still 100% disagree with the GC's actions, it's gouging, but I take you at your word. I think it's a shame that Jefferson Parish P&R paid for baskets what they could have paid for nearly an entire course worth of equipment. I should have reached out first privately and asked questions, that's on me 100%.

As an aside, I do hope you'll consider encouraging these firms to avoid doing that with this equipment in the future. Like I said I'm heavily invested in growing the game in LA and that kind of stuff is just bad for business IMO.

By the way, I am genuinely looking forward to playing the Parc des Familles course next month when I visit. I'm glad more courses are going up in that area.

JT this is a bad look man. You are one of the very few with media influence. People trust you to provide them with accurate disc golf news and information. I guess Ultiworld is turning into Fox news

I don't work for Ultiworld, and I've never claimed to be a journalist. I'm a hired gun like I've always been, and I have not used Ultiworld's platform once to push any sort of personal agenda. I'm a filmmaker who accidentally (at first) turned into an influencer. I'm going to sometimes be right, and sometimes I'll make mistakes...and when I do I'll own it.

If you're looking for that milquetoast, mild-mannered dude...I'm sorry but I just don't fit that mold. I'm opinionated and passionate, and I pride myself on being well-informed and well-read on something before I speak. I fell short of that here in a public fashion, and I'm owning it.

Jamie, I appreciate the apology and your pledge to check all your facts in the future.

Regarding costs, no one wants to see money wasted. Here are a few things to consider:

1. As Chuck said, that document appears to be some kind of estimate.

2. The Parish picked a contractor based on the lowest and/or best bid for the entire project, which was somewhere in the neighborhood of $500,000, from what I understand. I don't see how an individual line item even mattered in the awarding of this kind of bid, so I think your accusations against the GC my also be misplaced.

Based on what I've seen, I have no reason to accuse anyone of malfeasance. In fact, I could tell you several very positive things about the contractor's performance. If you do ever find something legit and verifiable, please let us know.

Now to everyone else: thanks so much for all the nice stories you've posted in this thread. Obviously I was reading along, and I wish I had jumped in first with thanks instead of with a defense. I appreciate all the anecdotes and kind words, as well as the posts standing up for truth. Thanks again.