• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Legacy] Legacy Disc's Speed 14 Rampage

lion

I'm feeling frisky.
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
So Legacy Disc should release there speed 14 driver in July. Let me say it is an awesome disc. I threw the proto type and what I liked about it was that it didn't have a shallow space between the rim and the top flight plate. It actually had much more room then the nuke or the boss or ape. It also had a slightly thinner flight plate which made it easier to knuckle down on and launch further. They should be releasing this disc in three plastic, which would be simular to a KC plastic, a champion or Z, and a star type plastic. I will post some pictures of the disc and logo soon. If anyone has questions please ask. I will be selling these discs as soon as there made available and pdga approved. I will also get some video of this disc. I know a few top pros threw it recently and had good things to say. Watching Garrett Gurthie mash it was impressive.

..lion what kind of "d" were you getting and how overstable is the Legacy. Comparisons, technical and flight path?

Currently it is stable, but I believe it will become less stable when they mess with the softness of the plastic. The proto types came out super stiff, kinda like a plate, maybe 5% bend in the disc. You could literally clink them together. It was funny. I was throwing anhyzers around 430, but when they become softer I should be able to get these into the 500 foot range without trying to throw the anhyzer shot. Alot of people told me they didnt like the shallow rim and this thing isnt shallow. Also I think it will fly simular to a destroyer, but with more distance and alot faster. The mold is perfect, just some tweeking with the plastics over the next week and it will be off for approval. This company will next release a putter very simular to a magnet in my opinion. I threw a proto that was 175g and 181g. Of course the 181g wasnt legal but it was in a opto type plastic and the 175g felt like a special blend type plastic that was red. I believe good things will come from these and I would be surprised to see alot of us on here trying these bad boys out. Its a scary design and disc because it has alot of distance potential.

I'm curious what makes this disc a "speed 14". I was under the impression that 2.5cm was maximum rim width, and we already have discs in all kinds of stability ratings, weights, plastic blends, and other specs at that rim width.

Well, the Westside King is speed 14 and its rim thickness is 2.3cm. And a Wraith (2.1cm) and Archon (2.3cm) are both speed 11. So there apparenlty is more to speed ratings than rim width even though most discs do follow the pattern of greater rim width = greater speed.

Well, the Westside King is speed 14 and its rim thickness is 2.3cm. And a Wraith (2.1cm) and Archon (2.3cm) are both speed 11. So there apparenlty is more to speed ratings than rim width even though most discs do follow the pattern of greater rim width = greater speed.

Westside's speed rating is arbitrary. They termed it a 14 just as a marketing ploy. I think lion knows that, and I'm just curious if he is adopting the same philosophy or if there is something about the disc that is legitimately unique.

^ this

It amazes the s#it outta me how many people think that hot stamp foil means more than rim width.

I heard some "expert" in our local store saying this about the King:
"yeah it's a legit speed 14, with a huge fade of 4"

I almost nose yakked my gatorade

Back on point (sorry)

Who is legacy discs?
What is rim width on this "speed 14"

Watching Garrett Gurthie mash it was impressive.

I'm interested in the disc. But the fact that Double G can throw it a long way says about as much as "Usain Bolt runs fast while holding it"! ;)

Gilbert aka Bamba Rico and Steve Rico own Legacy discs. I also watched Steve Rico Bomb it, but with Garrett Gurthie mashing it as far as he did it was impressive. They spent 3 and a half months tweeking the mold and experimenting with it to get it right. Slight tweeks here and there with rim width, rim depth, thickness of flight plates and plastics. I will ask for the dimensions. There was around 15 pros this past weekend at the summertime in Sylmar who mashed the proto type to give there opinion on the mold. There was probably a handful of guys in the top 20 in the world there throwing it.

Private company presses the disc and I am not at liberty to say who does the actual pressing right now. Its not one of the major disc companies as some might think. If they want that info released I'm sure it will come out soon.

Currently it is stable, but I believe it will become less stable when they mess with the softness of the plastic. The proto types came out super stiff, kinda like a plate, maybe 5% bend in the disc. You could literally clink them together. It was funny. I was throwing anhyzers around 430, but when they become softer I should be able to get these into the 500 foot range without trying to throw the anhyzer shot. Alot of people told me they didnt like the shallow rim and this thing isnt shallow. Also I think it will fly simular to a destroyer, but with more distance and alot faster. The mold is perfect, just some tweeking with the plastics over the next week and it will be off for approval. This company will next release a putter very simular to a magnet in my opinion. I threw a proto that was 175g and 181g. Of course the 181g wasnt legal but it was in a opto type plastic and the 175g felt like a special blend type plastic that was red. I believe good things will come from these and I would be surprised to see alot of us on here trying these bad boys out. Its a scary design and disc because it has alot of distance potential.

like a magnet? HA! nothing will ever beat the magnet...

I admit defeat... I want one. :(

like a magnet? HA! nothing will ever beat the magnet...

I admit defeat... I want one. :(

It makes sense they're making a magnet-esque putter with Steve Rico's deep love for the disc. I have high hopes for their discs with the involvement of some great members of the Disc Golf community.

thanks for the info...i don't see the Ricos putting their name on anything bad.
Looking fwd to trying one

Latest posts