• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lloyd Weema article in Ultiworld Disc Golf

Would you two just get a room already?

I have exactly one single interaction with bgc and one single post in this thread so your post makes zero sense. :confused:

That saying is reserved for people that wont stop arguing and polluting a thread. Kind of like your crying and non stop whining about EDGE funds and pay per view in another thread. Hope you two enjoyed your week long stay in your room.

I have exactly one single interaction with bgc and one single post in this thread so your post makes zero sense. :confused:

That saying is reserved for people that wont stop arguing and polluting a thread. Kind of like your crying and non stop whining about EDGE funds and pay per view in another thread. Hope you two enjoyed your week long stay in your room.

Wow. Eeeeeaaaasy there fella - I was just trying to be funny. :/

Guess I failed. Again. Oh well.

It is astonishing to me how contentious things can get between people who share a passion for a &^%$#! frisbee game.

A clear refutation of the hippie-stoner archetype. We have lawyers and politicians up in this joint, with engineers and salesmen, writers and plumbers and contractors...The list goes on and on and on.

One dude (a hero for the End Times, Lloyd Weema) does something so purely audacious, and look what happens. Brother against brother! Hatfields and McCoys, north and south, red and blue. Some of the finest founders of our DG culture looked and behaved exactly like this guy, saying, "To hell with experts and conventions. I'm gonna have some fun -as only I can define it."

It's sad to read through this mess. I almost wish I hadn't. But the enemy you know, etc.

I am actually an older guy and I really enjoy the company of the younger players. Most are good guys who enjoy socializing. Many of the "old guard" like to turn in their cards and leave. I find the situation to be exactly opposite of what you describe.

Weird, huh?

We also hear that the new generation of human wants everyone to get recognition and everyone gets a trophy and this certainly goes against that notion.

I was born in the late 70s and got participation trophies each year I played little league in the 80s. This talking point has gotten a bit stale. I have to chuckle when one of my contemporaries gets on this particular high horse. I just try to picture the 7 year old version of the speaker turning down a trophy because they didn't "earn" it.:rolleyes:

Not saying you subscribe to this opinion, just that this phenomena isn't limited to the "new generation".

Back on topic:
As far as the Weema rule, I can see how those pros who take themselves a little to seriously might think he was clowning them (intentionally or not). I can also see how those on his card might not want to play a competitive round with someone who is throwing an extra 2-3 times per hole. IMO, none of these are good reasons to exclude players of his caliber.

With where disc golf is right now (and probably will be for quite some time), the opinions that matter are of those who run the events. Even if they are somehow making a profit off of the event, considering the amount of time invested they are still essentially volunteers. If Nate and all the others who put in a ton of time to make big events happen think that things would be better/easier/whatever without sub 900 rated players; I think that should be their decision to make. Remember, if you don't agree with the way things are, you are free to invest 100s of hours of your free time and run events as you see fit.

Bolfconvert is that guy who just started playing and got RREEAALLLLYY into disc golf. He'll course correct after a few years playing and mellow out.

Mellow out? I doubt it. I will still look down at those who put their desires above everyone else's and refuse to give respect where it should be given. Leagues are the lifeline of disc golf and I find it ironic that those here who profess so much love for the game, will on the other hand puke all over an organized league if it causes them the slightest inconvenience.

Mellow out? I doubt it. I will still look down at those who put their desires above everyone else's and refuse to give respect where it should be given. Leagues are the lifeline of disc golf and I find it ironic that those here who profess so much love for the game, will on the other hand puke all over an organized league if it causes them the slightest inconvenience.

I've been apart of leagues for the past 5-6 years and not a single one of them was douchey or entitled enough to expect a public course to be closed for them.

YIf some folks are playing full court basketball at a public park and you want to practice free throws, what do you do? Do you barge on the court and tell them you have the right to shoot when and where you want? Not a recipe for success in my opinion.

Not the same thing. There is no easy method of allowing someone to play through when playing full court.

So your gym is a public park?

The point here is respect. If a league is ongoing you give it respect. The league should give you respect by pointing out where you can play without interfering with the league. You give respect to the league by staying out of their way. It isn't an all or nothing proposition. Your opinion is that you shouldn't give respect to anyone, that only what you want matters. Kind of the same mentality that Weema has.

You have a weird idea of what respect is. How about you respect the fact that a person has absolutely as much right to play the public course when and where they see fit as the league does? No one is "puking all over an organized league" but instead simply pointing out that a league doesn't automatically have a right to puke all over a player or group of players playing at the same time as the league. Take your entitlement bull**** back to ball golf.

Disagree. The lifeline to disc golf are the courses. Without them, both public and private, there are no leagues, no casual play no tournaments. If you are going to be a douche nozzle to other patrons of the parks just because you're running a league how do you think those running the park are going to react to that? If you make life irritating to those that own/run the course (who are usually NOT disc golfers) you put the course closer to being pulled and then everyone looses.

Several times I've had people be idiots when I was running a league and showed some disrespect to what I was trying to do. Know what I said? Not a dang thing. Just not a hill worth dying on. Be like Elza and "Let It Go."

Some golfers think all you have to do is claim (fill in the blank) is slowing the growth of the sport and everyone will come to their side.

It's been said before, no one is watching but other disc golfers.

Your rights end when they impinge on others rights. If a league starts on holes 1-9, then you need to start elsewhere. If you jump in the middle you are a world class jerk, reserved course or not. It really is that simple. If some folks are playing full court basketball at a public park and you want to practice free throws, what do you do? Do you barge on the court and tell them you have the right to shoot when and where you want? Not a recipe for success in my opinion.

No wonder you don't play ball golf any more. You would be ran over by a golf cart in my area with an attitude like that. One always allows faster players to play through. Doesn't matter if it is a private country club or a pubic muni course.

I avoid the league jerks in my area as well. That's where the drama queens all gather at.