• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Looking for a mid that flies like a Roc3 but has no bead

I respect your opinion. Granted, your opinion doesn't contribute anything to this thread, but I respect it anyway.

It's hard for people like you who don't mind the feel of beads to understand why people like me don't like the feel of beads. I can't really explain it; beaded discs just don't sit well in my hand, and I don't feel confident with them.

I don't understand why people don't like driving with deep putters, but I accept that they do, and it doesn't bother me when people ask for recommendations on shallow putters. Perhaps you should do the same when people ask for recommendations for non-beaded discs.

As for the OP's question, I would say that a stable Z Buzzz would do the trick. A Buzzz OS would be drastically more overstable than a Roc3. A Shark3 or even a Star Shark would also be a good option to consider.

"Stable Z Buzzz" ain't a Roc. Straight vs not very straight. Seems like the OP wants a Roc but w/o a bead. Hmmm...

I have a Champion Mako3 that flies very similar to a seasoned Roc, not exactly, but pretty close. There are Buzzz's out there of particular style and plastic that may fit the bill too. I've owned 4 Buzzz's and gave up, each disc flew so different from the last. Maybe it was just my luck, but when people talk about inconsistent molds, the first thought in my head is "Buzzz"

For what it's worth, I used to hate beads too. Then I changed my grip a little and after a while I found a beat to death Roc in the woods and threw it for the heck of it and immediately fell in love. All of my mids now have beads except for the Mako3.

Last edited:
I can't help but look down on people that look down on people that don't like beaded discs.

I one day hope to eliminate all beads from my collection.

shark3 would be a touch more overstable than a roc3 to start but break into flying like that somewhat quickly

I can't help but look down on people that look down on people that don't like beaded discs.

I one day hope to eliminate all beads from my collection.

???

Beads are used on mids and putters to make them more stable-overstable. If you don't like or can't throw discs with a bead you're eliminating an awful lot of nice molds. And your options for overstable are almost non-existent.

???

Beads are used on mids and putters to make them more stable-overstable. If you don't like or can't throw discs with a bead you're eliminating an awful lot of nice molds. And your options for overstable are almost non-existent.

Kind of true. Not really MORE overstable though and definitely help retain designed flight longer which DaveD always said the bead is for durability.

DGR:
IV. Rim Stabilizers – Rim Characteristics and Flight
While the overall shape and contour of the rim will determine the disc's overall flight, there are a few design factors that make the disc fly more high speed stable and fade more predictably at the end of their flight. The two most noticeable of these design factors can take the form of a bead (either prominently rounded or a very abrupt slope change) at the bottom of the rim or a notch (flat spot) at the very edge of the wing. Both of these characteristics will aid in the structural rigidity and overall durability of the disc but also affect its flight.

As a general rule of thumb, a bead on the rim will yield a slight increase in high-speed stability and in some cases (mainly those with a prominently rounded bead) it helps delay low speed fade. While it has been debated whether or not a bead does affect disc flight, my experiences with beaded and non-beaded versions of the same model discs as well as factored discs that have had the bead removed have generally yielded these results.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discqualities.shtml#rim

The Verdict has a bead.

not really.

f50zyq.jpg

At least not where its going to impact feel that much at all.

Kind of true. Not really MORE overstable though and definitely help retain designed flight longer which DaveD always said the bead is for durability.

DGR:
IV. Rim Stabilizers – Rim Characteristics and Flight
While the overall shape and contour of the rim will determine the disc's overall flight, there are a few design factors that make the disc fly more high speed stable and fade more predictably at the end of their flight. The two most noticeable of these design factors can take the form of a bead (either prominently rounded or a very abrupt slope change) at the bottom of the rim or a notch (flat spot) at the very edge of the wing. Both of these characteristics will aid in the structural rigidity and overall durability of the disc but also affect its flight.

As a general rule of thumb, a bead on the rim will yield a slight increase in high-speed stability and in some cases (mainly those with a prominently rounded bead) it helps delay low speed fade. While it has been debated whether or not a bead does affect disc flight, my experiences with beaded and non-beaded versions of the same model discs as well as factored discs that have had the bead removed have generally yielded these results.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discqualities.shtml#rim

There are other ways to provide stability or make a disc overstable besides the use of a bead. But how many OS mid molds to date have no bead? Discraft is making a big deal out of the beadless Buzzz OS. Why? Because it's not the norm.

???

You are crazy, as usual. How many mids and putters do you think I need? :lol:

MVP's most OS midrange has a much smaller bead than the vector/roc style beaded discs.

You must be referring to the Tensor. Look at the wing design, the underside is steeply angled.

In general, the bigger the bead, the more stability, resistance to turn, and fade. There are countless examples of this in mids and putters.

which is all I said. You put the word overstable in your first post and that's not the case at all-- so I replied to your statement to address what you are now reiterating.

DSC00771.jpg

OS or US?

Beads are used on mids and putters to make them more overstable.

your options for overstable are almost non-existent.