• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marbling agents

S/C is cheap, ($1 a can) easily available, really holds the dye well, is easy to store, allows for different color dyes to be "blended" hence the marbling, and the raspberry ladies s/c smells great, and if you run low you can just run into the bathroom and steal the wife's when she's not looking. I'm not saying that the other things you have listed wouldn't work, but let's look at them
S/C is better than sour cream because it's cheaper and easier to store.
S/C is better than yogurt because the dye has to sit for 24 hours, yogurt would be nasty after that long.
Thick liquid soap is a viable option.
Whipped cream is more expensive and harder to store.
Never thought of drywall mud. Huh. Might have to give that a try sometime.
But don't take my word for it, I'd ask Dan, he's the best marble dyer on the planet (that I know anyway)
Good luck................jb

Remember, all the s/c is there for is to suspend the dye long enough for the disc to absorb it. It's simply the carrier.

.....On this day, 2 years ago,THE CHOSEN ONE spoketh:
Anybody evetry marbling with shaving cream or methocel? Did this one last night but many details need worked out.

marblingDSC_6330.jpg
One day late

bamm did you use anything to protect your foil stamp? i didnt notice any of the dye penetrating it maybe a little on the actual ghost but not on the words. I know it was asked and someone mentioned petroleum jelly aka vasaline. wasnt sure if you tried it or not.

I am planning on trying my first SC marble today! I saw people mention that the SC removes the stamp from the disc, and I was wondering if it would also affect any contact paper that I use for masking? I already wiped the stamp, but I am planning on masking around an image I already dyed onto the disc. Will the SC cause bleeding under the contact paper, or will it be ok to sit without worrying about any penetration of the dye into the image? Thanks for the help!

The s/c that I use has alcohol in it, that may be what is taking the stamp off. I bought a couple cans of s/c that I made sure had no alcohol in it and we will see.

I'm using barbasol, none of that raspberry stuff for me, I want my discs to have the manly scent :D. Looking back through some of the old stuff I saw 3 black discraft stamps and one gold stamp discs that had the stamp left on, none of 'em had a problem with the SC. Black discraft stamps take some work to remove but their gold stamps come off easy enough.

Attachments

• orange nuke DSC_6437.JPG
    orange nuke DSC_6437.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 107
I'm using barbasol, none of that raspberry stuff for me, I want my discs to have the manly scent :D. Looking back through some of the old stuff I saw 3 black discraft stamps and one gold stamp discs that had the stamp left on, none of 'em had a problem with the SC. Black discraft stamps take some work to remove but their gold stamps come off easy enough.

Dan, do you know if the SC will affect a contact paper mask? I'm not worried about the stamp so much as any bleeding beneath my mask while the disc sits. Thanks!

I think with contact paper there's almost always a chance for bleeds. Some people have made it work, I haven't. But I have used vinyl masks with SC dips many, many times. The SC (barbasol, at least) will not cause your mask to lift. Getting a solid mask is not a trivial part of dyeing disc, I spend a lot of time on a mask burnishing edges and I'm not as anal about it as others :D.

I expect Dan Howard to crank out a few more sc beauties being all snowed in with a second major storm about ready to dump another foot of snow! Anyone have a plane? We may have to drop some food and supplies down his chimney

Tried my hand at this for the first time! Thanks to all of the posts (I read the whole darn thread), I was able to have a pretty successful first try! Next time I will try to saturate the bed of SC with a little more dye in order to get better color...

Bob Marley on a Champion Groove:

I tried searching for an hour, but this thread is crazy long; what dye do you use for this method? I just found this glorious technique, but Ive been seeing around the internet that Rit fabric dye no longer works? :( Is it true?

Tried my hand at this for the first time! Thanks to all of the posts (I read the whole darn thread), I was able to have a pretty successful first try! Next time I will try to saturate the bed of SC with a little more dye in order to get better color...

Bob Marley on a Champion Groove:

Nice job! I get the groove thing....Bob had some awesome grooves!:p
Champ plastic takes a lot longer to soak up the SC dye than star type. You can get more vibrant colors by leaving them in the SC bed longer (at least 24 hours) or by concentrating your dye that you mix into the SC.... or both.
here's a couple of 'Bobs' I did a while back....
BobChampLeo.jpg
BobIon.jpg

I tried searching for an hour, but this thread is crazy long; what dye do you use for this method? I just found this glorious technique, but Ive been seeing around the internet that Rit fabric dye no longer works? :( Is it true?

Some of the colors for RIT dye have changed formulas (powder and liquid) and are no longer usable for our purposes. But generally boxes dated 2010 or older (10 as the last two digits in the number on the end of the box) are OK. The liquid has a number stamped on the cap and if it ends in 'ND' it means 'no dye' for us discers.:thmbdown: Some of the newer powder still works but the catch is that you have to be "that guy", like me, who opens all the boxes in the craft store to make sure there is no 'ND' printed on the packet.:p
I'm pretty sure someone posted a list here of which colors are still OK.

Nice job! I get the groove thing....Bob had some awesome grooves!:p
Champ plastic takes a lot longer to soak up the SC dye than star type. You can get more vibrant colors by leaving them in the SC bed longer (at least 24 hours) or by concentrating your dye that you mix into the SC.... or both.

Thanks! I knew from reading this thread that Champ doesn't take dye very well, so I gave it a full 24 hrs. I believe my problem was that the dye/SC combo wasn't concentrated enough. Your dye on the MVP disc was the one that gave me the idea to do my dye!

Just tried marbling last night for the first time. Fun stuff. I use idye poly that is already mixed up for hot dip dyes. I mixed a little dye with some hand sanitizer in small bottles. The dye seems to set very fast like this. I was mixing 3/4 dye 1/4 hand sanitizer. Seems to help a ton, pics coming in a bit.