• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Marking the Basket

dude take a pill...if you read my other post, i was merely saying i am against it...i wouldn't ram a sharpie up your ass, but i would like to...i would (in the nicest way possible) explain to you that it is wrong...i seriously don't understand what part of "it is not yours, dont mess with it" you and a few others can't get thru your thick noggins?..i was taught at 5 to respect others and their stuff..this is beating a dead horse...some people just don't get it and never will, but i am glad i don't run into disrespectful morons too often

Its not a matter of having a thick noggin... my stance has changed since reading this thread and i will not sign a basket now. that is accepting rather than thick headed. Nor is it a matter of me not respecting others property. I thought it was tradition to sign the basket upon hitting an ace. The point I'm trying to make is that speaking to people as equals will more likely yield the results you want rather than this Sheriff mentality stuff...

Its not a matter of having a thick noggin... my stance has changed since reading this thread and i will not sign a basket now. that is accepting rather than thick headed. Nor is it a matter of me not respecting others property. I thought it was tradition to sign the basket upon hitting an ace. The point I'm trying to make is that speaking to people as equals will more likely yield the results you want rather than this Sheriff mentality stuff...

That's an issue I definitely wanted to address out here by posting this...it's apparent that many of us on DGCR are respectful and responsible players, and it's unfortunate that vandalism was viewed as a disc golf tradition (which, as I mentioned earlier, is the impression I was under until I was given further insight into course courtesy, which comes with becoming a more serious player who is interested in promoting our sport). Trust me, I'm not confronting anyone with the "Sheriff mentality," and will politely approach anyone I see about to mark a basket and inform them that it's simply not acceptable. I'm elated that your simply reading this thread, Mike, has deterred you from doing such, and I can only hope we impact a few more golfers with our discussion.

As long as there isn't a billboard infront of the chains I could care less. I feel people carving their name in tree's is worse. And it's called paint. Kid spray paints a wall...paint over it. But hey, the day I miss a putt because I couldn't take my eyes of of "Jimmy's ace in 1999" ill feel your pain. You should be happy it's not gang tags or "Billy loves Jess" written all over it.

That's an issue I definitely wanted to address out here by posting this...it's apparent that many of us on DGCR are respectful and responsible players, and it's unfortunate that vandalism was viewed as a disc golf tradition (which, as I mentioned earlier, is the impression I was under until I was given further insight into course courtesy, which comes with becoming a more serious player who is interested in promoting our sport). Trust me, I'm not confronting anyone with the "Sheriff mentality," and will politely approach anyone I see about to mark a basket and inform them that it's simply not acceptable. I'm elated that your simply reading this thread, Mike, has deterred you from doing such, and I can only hope we impact a few more golfers with our discussion.

Much respect. I hope that it becomes common courtesy to politely inform DGers that there are possible consequences involved with marking baskets. I guess its easy to see a signed basket and hope to one day get one myself, never considering that it would have any negative impact at all. It was never mentioned to me and I never thought of it myself. I think most people who would mark a basket are not punk kids, but respectable people who think that signing the basket is protocol ace celebration... like how people light fireworks in the street, marking the pavement because its just what people do to celebrate the 4th. Whenever anyone is on the DG course, I imagine they just want to have a good time, so I hope the veterans will not feel entitled to speak forcefully to basket markers, but let them know it isn't cool in an inviting way that will keep more of a family atmosphere going. I was pretty thrown off by the negativity, but understand where you're coming from. Maybe the problem isn't baskets being signed as much as the idea that once a basket has any markings, it can then be associated with any trash or other vandalsim in the area. I've been lucky enough to see mostly clean courses with few signatures, so they've all looked good to my eye due to anticipation for my own ace.

I almost skip aced 3 at whistler's bend 2 days ago and I'm now glad I didn't because I would've marked up the #3 rated course...

NOTHING IS SACRED. If the grounds keep wants his basket in mint condition he should not take it out of the box. I never wrote on a basket and don't plan to but be lets be serious with ourselfs. Just be thankful there is a basket there vandalised or not. I heard that someone tried ripping the whole basket out of the ground and they had to make a new cement base for the basket. Now thats the time to rant and wine. I walked up and the grounds keep was PISSED.

I've gotta agree with our new friend here. It doesn't bother really bother me at all. I won't do it because I don't see the point of signing a basket, I rather dye and sign the disc and put it on a wall anyways. But still, I got a lot bigger things to get upset over than having to see somebody's name.
Different perspectives I suppose.

I just saw this for the first time the other day in portland at pier park. It doesnt seem like 'vandalism' to me. I mean, do you really adore the color of your local park's baskets so much you cant stand seeing sharpy on them?

If I get an Ace, I'm definately marking it on the basket. Yeah, I'm an extreme noob and prob wont ever get one, but if I do....

No harm, no foul. You should actually start giving a sh&% people have aced those holes. and make yourself determined to do the same so you can put your name up there. Its a good motivator for me to see it up there and it brings you too think about it. The guy put the name of his disc on it too so I had a good idea what disc worked well for that hole. It his case it was a leopard, by chance was already my fav fairway driver which made me feel better about it being my favorite driver...

Last edited:
If I get an Ace, I'm definately marking it on the basket. Yeah, I'm an extreme noob and prob wont ever get one, but if I do....

No harm, no foul. You should actually start giving a sh&% people have aced those holes. and make yourself determined to do the same so you can put your name up there. Its a good motivator for me to see it up there and it brings you too think about it. The guy put the name of his disc on it too so I had a good idea what disc worked well for that hole. It his case it was a leopard, by chance was already my fav fairway driver which made me feel better about it being my favorite driver...

That's just the thing...why WOULD a stranger give a s**t that you aced the hole? It's your own personal accomplishment, so why not just write it on your disc (hey, then you don't need to specify what disc it was with!) and take it home and show it to people you know that might actually care, or post your achievement out here where strangers WILL congratulate you.

I swear, training DGers on course courtesy is like raising a child, especially with this issue...you give them just a little freedom ("Okay, you can have a snack now, even though dinner is in just a little bit"), and pretty soon they're taking advantage of that and pushing their boundaries every chance they get ("Well, daddy let me have a snack before dinner that one time, so I'm just gonna help myself to this box of cookies, eat the whole damn thing, leave crumbs everywhere, puke on the carpet, let the dog eat my puke, and then wonder why daddy's upset").

I still have a few of those bumper stickers somewhere.
I guess they worked because I see skate parks everywhere now. I think we should make "Disc Golf is not a crime" stickers and see where that takes the sport.

let me just clarify a little im not suggesting signing your name on the outside of the yellow band more like the inside of it or maybe the pole on non-innova baskets.

the way i look at it it adds to the history of the course , and im sure you folks who say id never think its cool or alright to do would be giddy like a schoolgirl at a N.K.O.T.B. concert if they knew climo or feldburg signed their names on the basket.

let me just clarify a little im not suggesting signing your name on the outside of the yellow band more like the inside of it or maybe the pole on non-innova baskets.

the way i look at it it adds to the history of the course , and im sure you folks who say id never think its cool or alright to do would be giddy like a schoolgirl at a N.K.O.T.B. concert if they knew climo or feldburg signed their names on the basket.
I think it's a very slippery slope. First the poles, then the benches, then the trees, etc.

Kids are drinking underage, smoking pot, dealing in the parking lot...and I will throw in illegal gambling as well.
good point how many of you that are talking about the legal aspect of signing drink on the alcohol free courses, smoke pot , play in illegal weekly doubles , or bet on rounds . If you havnt done any of those say I.:)

Think of it this way, if you're a person who wants the course pulled or some sort of authority figure looking for unsavory activity, which course are you going to focus your efforts on, the one with the clean baskets, tee signs and benches or the one with drug references and idiots names written all over everything? Tagging encourages the pulling of courses. That is a fact and there is no way around it or to justify it. There is not an argument for tagging that isn't moronic.
probally the ones that have no-alcohol policies but have overflowing trashcans full of 90% beercans and bottles.

good point how many of you that are talking about the legal aspect of signing drink on the alcohol free courses, smoke pot , play in illegal weekly doubles , or bet on rounds . If you havnt done any of those say I.:)

Point taken, but you're going in a different direction there--all those things relate to YOUR body/money/property/potential rap sheet, whereas marking the basket is defacing property that isn't yours.