• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

This seems to be a bit premature. Per a posting on DGS as of two days ago.......

"Announcement: after some voiced concerns with the safety of pedestrians at a city council meeting we need to ask that the course goes in-played until we get proper safety signage posted throughout the park. This won't take more than a couple days. For now, the course is back "under construction". Stay tuned." :(

When I posted the course was opened. When I teed off on Thursday at 4PM it was open as well. Sometime during that round the parks put up the closed for construction sign.

A few signs informing the public to "Watch for Flying Discs" at key points where park traffic is likely to intersect with the course would be great.
I wish a more local courses (namely Cass Benton, Fire Fighters, Spindler, Wyandotte) had them.

Pretty sure the Gulch is the only course in the area that has signs to that effect. It's not much of a problem at any of the Metroparks, Indy lakes, Rolling Hills, or Addison Oaks because those courses are pretty well segregated from other park activities. But it's a real issue on courses laid out with shared land use.

Going to be up in Traverse City starting Tuesday and there until Thursday. Hoping to hit a few courses in the area and am a little bummed that it doesn't appear that Hickory Hills is completed yet - of course there's always Myles Kimmerly. HMU if you want to play a round.

So I played Myles Kimmerly today and was impressed. Well worth the drive out there. However, here are some notable stops I had today that I hope will enlighten others that venture out that way:

- Deuces Wild is a waste of time unless you insist on bagging courses.
- Silver Creek Township...WTF...I was going to make a new listing here but whats the point? Between the home made baskets and lack of essential items like, oh I don't know, SIGNS and TEE PADS I thought the better of wasting any more time there. Don't bother. Even if you see it listed on UDisc.
- Almira Township is also listed on UDisc and DGCR....I have no idea why people list courses before they're done. Looks like things are progressing nicely but without a map or signs to go by I am not sure anyone would be able to find their way around.

With 2019 USADGC running Jun 7-9, and DGPT Great Lakes Open slated for Jul 5-7...

Toboggan should be available for casual play for about 3.5 weeks. This really is an epic course, with a bunch of holes that could be signature holes. If you've never played this epic course, here's your chance.

With the recent expansion for Black Locust, you'll be able to play 54 distinct holes without leaving Kensington Metropark, while Toboggan's still in the ground.

With 2019 USADGC running Jun 7-9, and DGPT Great Lakes Open slated for Jul 5-7...

Toboggan should be available for casual play for about 3.5 weeks. This really is an epic course, with a bunch of holes that could be signature holes. If you've never played this epic course, here's your chance.

With the recent expansion for Black Locust, you'll be able to play 54 distinct holes without leaving Kensington Metropark, while Toboggan's still in the ground.

Good reason to invest in the Metropark pass.

Good reason to invest in the Metropark pass.

Not to dismiss the 48 holes at Hudson Mills, the 24 at Willow or the 36 now at Stony Creek. Without a doubt making a MetroPark pass a great value. These are all great facilities with benches, garbage cans, top notch dual tee pads, upgraded new baskets, superb maintenance, bathrooms, shelters and a ton of additional, non golf, park activities.

... and a ton of additional, non golf, park activities.

There's life beyond disc golf??? :confused:

Kidding aside, if you enjoy canoing/kayaking, the Huron River is a great waterway for that, and runs through about 8 or so of the Metro Parks.

Been hitting parks all up and down the river with my kayak this year. 105 miles of the Huron's 130 miles easily accessible to the public (most of the access north of Commerce Lake/Benstein road is "private access). I've explored 81 of them... basically just the lower 24 miles left to go. The annual Metropark pass has always been a bargain, but this year, I'm really getting my money's worth. :D

Not to dismiss the 48 holes at Hudson Mills, the 24 at Willow or the 36 now at Stony Creek. Without a doubt making a MetroPark pass a great value. These are all great facilities with benches, garbage cans, top notch dual tee pads, upgraded new baskets, superb maintenance, bathrooms, shelters and a ton of additional, non golf, park activities.

To add to this. Bump the cost to $60 and you get a combined MetroParks and Oakland County Park pass which adds Addison Oaks to the mix.

By the way, If you can get up to the Keweenaw in the next week or so the colors are absolutely popping. Calumet Township Park DGC is freaking awesome. 27 holes of upper Michigan plastic tossing bliss. I just got back from visiting one of my prodgeney at Michigan Tech and wish I could have stayed a day or two longer to play some more...

By the way, If you can get up to the Keweenaw in the next week or so the colors are absolutely popping. Calumet Township Park DGC is freaking awesome. 27 holes of upper Michigan plastic tossing bliss. I just got back from visiting one of my prodgeney at Michigan Tech and wish I could have stayed a day or two longer to play some more...

I second this. Gonna be playing Calumet tomorrow once the SNOW stops. Btw Lake Linden's teepads suck but otherwise it's a solid bomber open course.

I originally came to this thread today to inquire about Michigan Tech's course - I have played their 9-er, but I stopped by to check it out today, and there is a new map with 14 holes listed and things seem to be moved around. Didn't have time to play it today, but I would like to give it a shot here soon as I'm in town for a few days.

Someone at the Keweenaw Open a few weeks ago told me they changed it and screwed it up really bad (not that the original 9 was great to begin with), but at first glance, the new hole 1 looked like a lot of fun - 380 feet bending right, over an open field with a line of spread apart little 15 foot trees, with the basket in the mouth of the woods, by where the old hole 9 basket was. I guess I'll just have to play the rest to find out. Either way, there is technically a "new" course in Houghton - the old 9 holer at MTU is now gone. If I play it I'll update the course page.

I second this. Gonna be playing Calumet tomorrow once the SNOW stops. Btw Lake Linden's teepads suck but otherwise it's a solid bomber open course.

I originally came to this thread today to inquire about Michigan Tech's course - I have played their 9-er, but I stopped by to check it out today, and there is a new map with 14 holes listed and things seem to be moved around. Didn't have time to play it today, but I would like to give it a shot here soon as I'm in town for a few days.

Someone at the Keweenaw Open a few weeks ago told me they changed it and screwed it up really bad (not that the original 9 was great to begin with), but at first glance, the new hole 1 looked like a lot of fun - 380 feet bending right, over an open field with a line of spread apart little 15 foot trees, with the basket in the mouth of the woods, by where the old hole 9 basket was. I guess I'll just have to play the rest to find out. Either way, there is technically a "new" course in Houghton - the old 9 holer at MTU is now gone. If I play it I'll update the course page.

Never took the time to play the MTU course. Played it once a few years ago and that was enough for me. I didn't find out they had 14 now until right before I was scheduled to leave. There are some maps in the MTU bookstore and between that and my vague recolection I think the new layout looked like an improvement but there's no way to know for sure until you get out there and play it.

Never took the time to play the MTU course. Played it once a few years ago and that was enough for me. I didn't find out they had 14 now until right before I was scheduled to leave. There are some maps in the MTU bookstore and between that and my vague recolection I think the new layout looked like an improvement but there's no way to know for sure until you get out there and play it.

Whelp it was definitely NOT an improvement... I'll give details in my review once the page is updated.

It'll be a shame having them take out the course page and replace it with a course that's worse.

Whelp it was definitely NOT an improvement... I'll give details in my review once the page is updated.

It'll be a shame having them take out the course page and replace it with a course that's worse.

How could it be worse? I mean, you'd have to work really hard to do that.

Yeah...I'm real interested in seeing your reveiw...

-Dave

How could it be worse? I mean, you'd have to work really hard to do that.

Yeah...I'm real interested in seeing your reveiw...

-Dave

Basically the original, while nothing special, was playable and had fair lines. The new design, aside from holes 1 and 2, are just spray and pray.

They cut out maybe half the trees needed to create a tight, but fair wooded course. The skeleton of good fairways ARE there, but where there should be one tree splitting the fairway, there's like five.

Hole 3 has a corner to get around about 40 feet off the tee, then goes straight for about 150 feet. No disc can hit a corner that sharp and then go dead straight. Hole 4 has a pair of giant bushes 10 feet directly in front of the tee, with a 250 foot narrow fairway afterwards, with a 3 foot window to get through the bushes.

The upside is, this all CAN be improved - if the right people listen. Move the rubber pad for hole 3 so that it is a realistic angle, cut out the bushes on 4, and cut out the middle of the fairway trees so that you can actually have the birdie chance on the holes.

I just got sent an article that Montcalm Community College (between Stanton and Greenville) has put in a course. Looking at the satellite view it seems like there might be the possibility for a serviceable course there. Hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out over Thanksgiving.

Bandemer Park in Ann Arbor just replaced the very old baskets (hand me downs from Brown Park?) with some new Chainstars. Just went in on Monday and they did a little course trimming as well. Wish they would have gone with Chainstar Pro baskets but will take what we can get as those old ones were getting pretty bad.