• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

^ thanks for the heads up. From the DNR/Park website:
Disc Golf
This is a new recreational opportunity at Bald Mountain Recreation Area that is fully funded by the Friends of Bald Mountain Recreation Area. In spring 2018, the park will introduce a new, tournament grade 9-hole disc golf course open in the South Unit day-use area. As part of a four-phase project, we plan on having 18 holes open by fall 2018 and 36 holes open by the fall 2019. Two separate courses have been designed as the "Hills" Course and the "Lakes" Course offering different terrain and obstacles, both with amateur and professional tees to cater to all levels.

Heard a rather unpleasant rumor that Leviathan is getting pulled. Can someone confirm or deny this?

Just got back from States and heard nothing to this end.

Conjecture and supposition alert below.

Though, it is on Forestry or school land, I think. There is no drinking in the course and it seems like that was a big point of emphasis at this courses inception. I could see litter and drinking causing issues. They have great club presence out that way, hopefully they can step in and let cooler heads prevail.

All that said, I did get a chance to play Walhalla Woods out that way, a couple times this weekend. What a wonderful course.

Just got back from States and heard nothing to this end.

Conjecture and supposition alert below.

Though, it is on Forestry or school land, I think. There is no drinking in the course and it seems like that was a big point of emphasis at this courses inception. I could see litter and drinking causing issues. They have great club presence out that way, hopefully they can step in and let cooler heads prevail.

All that said, I did get a chance to play Walhalla Woods out that way, a couple times this weekend. What a wonderful course.

I grew up in ludington, and yes, the course is on land that is owned by the school system. I bet there is a constant threat of pulling the course due to drinking and litter. The guys that run stuff up there are responsible adults so I doubt there is anything to worry about.

I grew up in ludington, and yes, the course is on land that is owned by the school system. I bet there is a constant threat of pulling the course due to drinking and litter. The guys that run stuff up there are responsible adults so I doubt there is anything to worry about.

There is a continuing problem of drinking, smoking, and other childish behavior that goes on at Leviathan. It is from a minority of disc golfers and unfortunately can be expected as the short tees are considered the "city/beginner" course in the area. Our local club continues to battle this issue. The rumor of Leviathan shutting down is not a rumor though, it is a distinct possibility in the future for a whole other reason.

With the increased attention to school safety, the Ludington School District is proposing building a new high school. They are exploring a lot of options at this time including using the school forest as the new location. This of course would mean Leviathan would have to go. It's still in the early stages and no set dates or determination of where the new school will be have been decided. The MCDGO and local bike club had talks of overhauling the parking area of the course but I believe this has been put on hold until the school districts final decision on the new school's location.

Glad I got the chance to play Leviathan today. I played the long tees and it was an absolute joy. Total bummer about the possibility of it getting pulled. Unfortunately that is always a risk with courses on private property.

There is a continuing problem of drinking, smoking, and other childish behavior that goes on at Leviathan. It is from a minority of disc golfers and unfortunately can be expected as the short tees are considered the "city/beginner" course in the area. Our local club continues to battle this issue. The rumor of Leviathan shutting down is not a rumor though, it is a distinct possibility in the future for a whole other reason.

With the increased attention to school safety, the Ludington School District is proposing building a new high school. They are exploring a lot of options at this time including using the school forest as the new location. This of course would mean Leviathan would have to go. It's still in the early stages and no set dates or determination of where the new school will be have been decided. The MCDGO and local bike club had talks of overhauling the parking area of the course but I believe this has been put on hold until the school districts final decision on the new school's location.

Destroying the school forest in order to build a new school sounds like just the kind of terrible idea that everyone in that town would love. Getting rid of those terrible disc golfers is probably on the top 10 list of things to do. That sucks, but at least its not the only course in the area... The only way to save it is to somehow convince tad reed that disc golf photography is the next big thing...

New course barely a mile north of Toledo

Mark Kruse has been working on a new 18 hole course in Whiteford Stoneco Community Park.

The tee pads and baskets are all in place, and posts for directional signs were recently installed.

"Probably by the end of next summer, we'll have it all done," said Whiteford Township Supervisor Walter Ruhl. "We're getting really close."

Sounds like it's basically ready to play. Another Toledo area course... in Michigan.

Maybe Ejvogie or ChrisWoj can give us the scoop?

Apparently all the baskets are in at the Emac designed North Bluff DGC in Gladstone and the course is playable. No signs yet, but I got an email this morning to all hole sponsors asking for last minute graphics ASAP before the proofs get sent out. An updated course map and hole information were very briefly posted on FB before they were immediately taken down, probably to discourage play as it is city property and the club doesn't have the authority to stop people from playing the course before it's complete. Apparently there is a new hole 11 and 20 and two holes were removed from the ski hill, not sure which ones. The deleted post went on to say that some fairways are very rough and filled with sticks, with broken glass between 10 and 11 and a lot of stinging nettles off the fairways. Still complete silence from the club except for the one rogue member, and still stifling all comments and debate.

Playable. Watch your discs, tons of unwaded waist high weeds. If you're concerned about losing plastic and don't like inevitably walking through the waist high stuff - unplayable. But the fairways are widening by the month with alternate work service people out there doing community time for the parks. It'll be super playable when the garbage dies back into January and through March. Hopefully all mowing is kept up and it rolls from there as our area's best layout.

It is a par 55 with room to expand to par 60 when the current township parks people retire out in five or so years and we can get some fresh ears open to expansion. Not a spectacular course but it is and even with the par 4s will remain a solid blue level course. The best we've got.

Mark Kruse has been working on a new 18 hole course in Whiteford Stoneco Community Park.

Sounds like it's basically ready to play. Another Toledo area course... in Michigan.

Maybe Ejvogie or ChrisWoj can give us the scoop?

NoooOOooooooo! :eek: :(

The new North Bluff DGC in Gladstone. 23 holes are playable, I'm assuming that the four on the ski hill probably won't go in until spring.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10089
The course is on Udisc now. I created a map of 18 longs on there today, which got approved, and I'll do 18 shorts, 18 short/long and 18long/short this week. The distances on the map should be pretty close but are probably off a little.

McLouth Park in Trenton, MI is in and open for play, https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10082. I haven't played it yet, but plan to on Thursday. Looking at pics it looks flat, mostly open, and looooong. Total length is 8726ft for 18 holes!

This seems to be a bit premature. Per a posting on DGS as of two days ago.......

"Announcement: after some voiced concerns with the safety of pedestrians at a city council meeting we need to ask that the course goes in-played until we get proper safety signage posted throughout the park. This won't take more than a couple days. For now, the course is back "under construction". Stay tuned." :(

Latest posts