• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Michigan New Course Updates

I don't think that is correct, Tim. A vote was taken last month and I believe the berths will be left as is, pending a new vote. With more and more clubs and feature events, berths are becoming harder to get and most clubs and events are getting less.

There has been a pretty big push to move berths away from clubs and to events only. I have not really heard or understood the motivation for this, I don't perceive the current process as broken.

What did I say that is incorrect? Berths for 2020 have all been accounted for....

Looks like a small, 5-hole course has been installed in the Hawk Woods Nature Center in Auburn Hills. I haven't played yet, but I work a short drive away and one of my co-workers told me he saw some baskets there. This might be a place I could go throw on a lunch hour. Does anyone know if there are plans to add more holes, or is this it?

I hit Hawk Woods on my way to Bald Mtn, and actually talked to someone from the parks dept while I was there. It's a bunch of upshots, no plans to expand the course. It's mostly a place to take a walk in the woods, maybe rent building out for something. Other than bagging a course, and maybe an Ace, don't expect much.

On the other hand, the 13 holes at Bald Mountain are a really good play... and they do have plans for expandsion. I'll be happy when they get to 18 holes, but they ultimately have plans for two 18 hole courses.

Last edited:
To say this is frustrating is a bit of an understatement. Why in the world are they still using Yahoo groups for this? Facebook, Twitter...heck set up a sub forum here on DGCR would be a thousand times better than Yahoo Groups to disseminate this sort of information. Mmmkay I am done ranting...

Oh well. Awaiting approval to join this Yahoo Group.

Yeah. I could not agree more. It was bad enough when it was a Yahoo group, but now it is a Yahoo email thread. Hard to use, hard to read. I don't do facebook or twitter, but there are lots of options, including their own website, which has an unused forum.

Hey, look at the bright side. At least you all have a process, and an amazing final event that helps to make the berths attractive at an event level. AM only now? Interrrresting..

You also have decent coordination on event schedules, trying not to overlap weekends, etc. This is good, despite the arcane Yahoo group.

Attendance at the in-person meetings at Todd's house (or have those moved) were the most important part when requesting berths and schedule coordination.

Ontario is so large and spread-out that there isn't really anything comparable from what I can tell.

Hello,

Your request to join the MDGO_Organizers group was not approved.
Your membership was automatically rejected because the moderator didn't
approve it within 14 days. We do this to provide a high quality
of service for our users.

If you want, you may attempt to join this group again.

You may find other groups to join by searching or browsing the
Groups directory:
http://groups.yahoo.com

If you would like to create your own group, please visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/start

Thank you for choosing Yahoo Groups.

Regards,

Yahoo Groups Customer Care

lol good times. Oh well...guess its not meant to be. Not gonna loose sleep over it.

Yahoo groups are sh!t in my opinion. I tried to join a couple and has similar problems. I wonder if anyone uses those anymore???

Hey y'all. Just a heads up about a facebook raffle for Ann Arbor Disc (A3). We are starting up our tournament and league membership drive. We have some cool raffle packages to give away for likes and shares.... Check it out and maybe grab some cool swag.

https://www.facebook.com/A3Disc/

Hey y'all. Just a heads up about a facebook raffle for Ann Arbor Disc (A3). We are starting up our tournament and league membership drive. We have some cool raffle packages to give away for likes and shares.... Check it out and maybe grab some cool swag.

https://www.facebook.com/A3Disc/

giphy.gif

Truly the darkest timeline when ru4por posts book of faces link. :(

Post by BogeyNoMore. It was so good, it needed to visit another thread. Thanks for the info, Bogey.

For anyone considering a trip to play the epic Kensington Toboggan course:
From the USADGC Website:
Quote:
WE ANTICIPATE THE COURSE TO BE READY FOR PLAY ON TUESDAY, June 2, 2020!
This is based on installing the course AFTER Memorial Day and weather permitting.
Course will be closed to casual play for the following events. They're the reason the course exists, and the two events basically bookend its availability. Baskets are pulled following DGLO.
Fri-Sun, June 5-7, 2020: USADGC
Fri-Sun, July 24-26, 2020: DGPT - Discraft Great Lakes Open (MPO & FPO)

By my count, that leaves about 49 days available for casual play. The Thursday prior to each event is typically reserved for registered players to practice. My experience has been that you can play those two days, but will be asked to leave if you become a nuisance or interfere with registered players trying to practice.

Park Entry fee for Kensington: $10 per vehicle per day ; Annual Window Sticker = $40

Other area courses I'd recommend:
Same park:
Kensington Black Locust - Blue
Kensington Black Locust - Green
Both Black Locust courses will be open during USADGC ; closed Juy25-26 for DGLO (Ams and age protected divisions).

Nearby
The Lyon's Den 6 miles ; donation recommended
Cass Benton Hills; 17 miles ; absolutely free

Hudson Mills Metro Park; approx 27 miles away ; uses same park pass as Kensington
Hudson Mills Metropark - Original
Hudson Mills Metropark - Monster

Stony Creek Metro Park; approx 60 miles away ; uses same park pass as Kensington
Stony Creek - Buckhorn North
Stony Creek - Buckhorn South

Washtenaw County Parks (different park pass than Metro Parks):
$10 per car per day ; can use same day pass for Indy Lake + Rolling Hills.
Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk Original 20 miles
Independence Lake County Park - Red Hawk X
Rolling Hills County Park - Main 40 Miles

Except for Lyon's Den and Cass Benton, all the courses have a $3/day DG Greens fee (on top of the per car entry fee).
Distances are approx. mileage from Kensington.

Suggest you check DG Scene for events at any courses you plan to hit.

Anybody know anything about the course at Hawthorne Park in Pontiac? DGS shows it as removed years ago, drove by the park Saturday and saw baskets and a number of people playing. Based on my drive-by the baskets appear to be a mish-mash of type and maybe layed out temporarily (if so, not a great idea in that area). What's the skinny? Temp course? Making a comeback? Worth playing?

Anybody know anything about the course at Hawthorne Park in Pontiac? DGS shows it as removed years ago, drove by the park Saturday and saw baskets and a number of people playing. Based on my drive-by the baskets appear to be a mish-mash of type and maybe layed out temporarily (if so, not a great idea in that area). What's the skinny? Temp course? Making a comeback? Worth playing?

Might be a good question for DonnyV here, looks like he posted a comment on DGS about "making a comeback" but no further details. It is showing closed/removed on DGS as well right now but maybe Donny is helping bring it back?

They had a temp course set up for a tournament on Saturday. I don't know if there are any plans to bring it back permanently

I just played a tournament there on Saturday. Cool event. First round was an urban Pontiac 21 hole course. Played around the Phoenix Center, up and down the Center stairs and through a bunch of alleys and streets. The alleys had a bunch of sculpture, murals, art, and gardens to play though....very neat.

The second round was a temp Hawthorne. The event was for baskets for the course. I did talk to a couple of the TD and club members about plans. Sounds like they have a solid working relationship with the city and the green light to start installation. The park is fantastic, big rolling hills, tons of mature trees and a lot of space. They had the course set up too close to other park activities, but I am guessing they will change some of that. There were several sites where construction companies had used the park as a dump. Seems to be a problem that will need solving, and I am guessing the city is not going to be the one to do it. It also sounded like they had secured some grant funding to help the park. I got the impression they were looking into getting the restroom (currently closed), back into working order and opened. A great move, IMO. It would benefit a lot of other park users and foster some goodwill. They are going to be starting work soon, with talk of the course opening by fall. The temp set up was great, not gold level, but a solid intermediate type course.

Driftwood Creek Disc Golf was the club behind the tournament. They do have a facebook page, if into that sort of thing.

I just played a tournament there on Saturday. Cool event. First round was an urban Pontiac 21 hole course. Played around the Phoenix Center, up and down the Center stairs and through a bunch of alleys and streets. The alleys had a bunch of sculpture, murals, art, and gardens to play though....very neat.

The second round was a temp Hawthorne. The event was for baskets for the course. I did talk to a couple of the TD and club members about plans. Sounds like they have a solid working relationship with the city and the green light to start installation. The park is fantastic, big rolling hills, tons of mature trees and a lot of space. They had the course set up too close to other park activities, but I am guessing they will change some of that. There were several sites where construction companies had used the park as a dump. Seems to be a problem that will need solving, and I am guessing the city is not going to be the one to do it. It also sounded like they had secured some grant funding to help the park. I got the impression they were looking into getting the restroom (currently closed), back into working order and opened. A great move, IMO. It would benefit a lot of other park users and foster some goodwill. They are going to be starting work soon, with talk of the course opening by fall. The temp set up was great, not gold level, but a solid intermediate type course.

Driftwood Creek Disc Golf was the club behind the tournament. They do have a facebook page, if into that sort of thing.

Excellent, thanks for the insight. Another course in the area would definitely be welcome, and I always wondered if that park would be a good fit...

Michigan "Shelter in Place" Executive Order

This order takes effect on March 24, 2020 at 12:01 am, and continues through April 13, 2020 at 11:59 pm.

Link to Executive Order 2020-21 (COVID-19)

Relevant portions are sections 2, 3 and 7:
Section 2. Subject to the exceptions in section 7, all individuals currently living within the State of Michigan are ordered to stay at home or at their place of residence. Subject to the same exceptions, all public and private gatherings of any number of people occurring among persons not part of a single household are prohibited.

Section 3. All individuals who leave their home or place of residence must adhere to social distancing measures recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, including remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual's household to the extent feasible under the circumstances.

Section 7. Exceptions:
a. Individuals may leave their home or place of residence, and travel as necessary:
1. To engage in outdoor activity, including walking, hiking, running, cycling, or any other recreational activity consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual's household.

FYI - Both courses located at Ponds of Lakeshore Apts are closed (per Apt Management) until April 14th, in accordance with the Governor's "Shelter in Place" Executive Order.

Keep in mind that while the courses have always been open to the general public, this is PRIVATE PROPERTY, and they have every right to lock it down. They have residents to think of and want to eliminate unnecessary traffic. Anyone caught playing during the time covered by the Exec Order will be banned from the premises, and if it becomes a problem, Apt Management could decide to shut the courses down for good. Find somewhere else to play while the order's in effect.

If you know of any course closures due to corona virus or the Executive Order, please update Course Conditions and post them here!

Last edited:
City of Ann Arbor has closed the courses at Bandemer and Mary Beth Doyle until Apr 13th.
Form the city's website
the following park amenities are closed until April 13: playgrounds/play structures, game courts (basketball, tennis, pickleball), groomed and ungroomed athletic fields, golf courses, the Skatepark, disc golf courses, dog parks, BMX course, and pavilions/shelters.

Seems the Metroparks are still open.

Looks like Rolling Hills and Indy Lake are still open...
From Wastenaw County's site Washtenaw County's page
All county parks and preserves remain open for access to the trails. See our news article"'Stay Home. Stay Safe.' Outdoor Guidelines" on our website for information regarding what "Stay Home, Stay Safe" recreation looks like for Washtenaw County Parks. Please stay tuned and we will share any new updates as we receive them.

If you have questions or concerns, please communicate with us through email at [email protected] or on social media. Both of these platforms will be monitored, but we may be slow to respond.

It specifically says "for access to the trails." They call out any specific outdoor activities/facilities that say are closed.

Latest posts