Michigan New Course Updates

It is possible Kzoo has some bench left for volunteers - I may have spoken out of turn there. I just know Larry has been busy enough that he triages a bit. Battle Creek is definitely stretched. Volunteers show up, but we could use two-three times attendance rates. Lots of guys say they will help, but they get awfully busy when the work dates come out. That's life, but it sure slowed us down!

Your experience over in BC may differ. The last few times we had stuff going on people showed up in droves. New pads at Robert Morris, and ice storm damage at Oshtemo come to mind. In both cases "many hands make the workload lighter" or however you say it were true. Larry has gone over and beyond for decades to grow the sport. I don't know anybody else personally who has done nearly as much. He even played on lead card with Climo in worlds, twice!

Your experience over in BC may differ. The last few times we had stuff going on people showed up in droves. New pads at Robert Morris, and ice storm damage at Oshtemo come to mind. In both cases "many hands make the workload lighter" or however you say it were true. Larry has gone over and beyond for decades to grow the sport. I don't know anybody else personally who has done nearly as much. He even played on lead card with Climo in worlds, twice!
He is definitely an amazing guy! The area is sooo much better for having him. I really appreciate how he has been a constant over the years - helps like crazy to establish things.

Sorensen Park in Holly is a fun, well-wooded course with moderate elevation.

Layout's a bit disjointed because they originally installed a nine hole loop (#'s 1-3, plus 13-18), then later added another nine hole loop (#'s 4-12) a bit deeper into the park. So there's a fairly a long walk between #3 and #4, with with the same walk (in the opposite direction) from 12 to 13. Dual concrete tees on most holes, playing to a single (fixed) basket.

Played it in 2022 while it was still plenty rough. But I just played it again last week, and it's quite playable with decent signage now.

Torzewski Park, in Lapeer is a brand new course that will appeal to those who like to air it out over hilly terrain, and with just a few wooded holes to to help break in your new plastic. Dual concrete tees playing to a single basket position that can be rotated between A & B placements.

Last edited:
Sorensen Park in Holly is a fun, well-wooded course with moderate elevation.

Layout's a bit disjointed because they originally installed a nine hole loop (#'s 1-3, plus 13-18), then later added another nine hole loop (#'s 4-12) a bit deeper into the park. So there's a fairly a long walk between #3 and #4, with with the same walk (in the opposite direction) from 12 to 13. Dual concrete tees on most holes, playing to a single (fixed) basket.

Played it in 2022 while it was still plenty rough. But I just played it again last week, and it's quite playable with decent signage now.

Torzewski Park, in Lapeer is a brand new course that will appeal to those who like to air it out over hilly terrain, and with just a few wooded holes to to help break in your new plastic. Dual concrete tees playing to a single basket position that can be rotated between A & B placements.
Really glad to see you giving updates from the course and not the hospital.

Does anybody know what's up with all the brush clearing at Hudson Mills? Somebody's been aggressive with the brush hog and has changed a number of the holes significantly (for the worse in my opinion).

Does anybody know what's up with all the brush clearing at Hudson Mills? Somebody's been aggressive with the brush hog and has changed a number of the holes significantly (for the worse in my opinion).
I did have a chance to talk to the park manager. They are primarily clearing invasive Russian Olive. They do it every handful of years and the first year always seems VERY dramatic. It will grow back in quickly this summer. They have done the same thing at Hudson Mills, Stony Creek and Kensington....including Toboggan a few years ago. The only downside is, a few of the cleared spots are likely to grow back heavily with black raspberry and rose bushes. 😒 The park also made an effort to clean up some of the long tees. They had become pretty overgrown and the risk/reward askew.

The clearing on hole 1, 2, 3 of Monster is due to storm damage last spring and winter.

Unfortunately, the entire MetroPark system sees these parks as ecologic areas. They will maintain and grow them in the directions that their arborists see fit. The park activities are always a second consideration in their stewardship.

A new course is almost open at Ridgepoint church in Holland. 12 of 18 teepads have been poured. Tee signs are being printed, it can get a bit wet but this is going to be a nice recreational course. It is playable but not quite official yet.

We're also a few weeks away from serious volunteer activity at Littlejohn Lake County Park in Allegan, you've probably heard about this one for a while but we have official approval and are just working on final approval of the layout. Targeting August for a grand opening. This is a heavily wooded parcel of property and will take a lot of volunteer effort to bring to fruition. We'd love to have your help, please reach out or watch for opportunities on "Allegan County Disc Golfers" on Facebook!

Holland is one of the nicest little towns in the whole lower peninsula, one of my favorite places to visit. I always made the trek over to Saugatuck to play, nice to know there is a second course even closer to the area.

A new course is almost open at Ridgepoint church in Holland. 12 of 18 teepads have been poured. Tee signs are being printed, it can get a bit wet but this is going to be a nice recreational course. It is playable but not quite official yet.

We're also a few weeks away from serious volunteer activity at Littlejohn Lake County Park in Allegan, you've probably heard about this one for a while but we have official approval and are just working on final approval of the layout. Targeting August for a grand opening. This is a heavily wooded parcel of property and will take a lot of volunteer effort to bring to fruition. We'd love to have your help, please reach out or watch for opportunities on "Allegan County Disc Golfers" on Facebook!

I played Riddgepoint this fall and it's a solid design in the space. It's not quite Breaker's level, but I'm excited to play it with pads this spring.

Holland is one of the nicest little towns in the whole lower peninsula, one of my favorite places to visit. I always made the trek over to Saugatuck to play, nice to know there is a second course even closer to the area.

I live in Holland and genuinely believe I'm in one of the best places in the country for disc golf. On a daily basis, Breakers is an awesome course. Within 30 minutes you have Brewer, Paw Paw, and Shore Acres. An hour away and you have Lake Arvesta, Flip City, and Beauty/Beast. 90 minutes away and you get Burchfield (Renegade's Trail and River's Edge) and the other courses around Lansing... West Michigan is lucky.