• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mid range disc advice

Sjames88

I'm rather new to disc golf, so before buying a mid range disc i wanted to know what you guys considered to be the best. im looking for something that is stable in flight, but wont roll 25 feet after it hits the ground 5 feet from the pin.:)

--thanks for your help

Here we go with another Roc vs Buzz thread.

What are you talking about? That never happens. :rolleyes:

OP, depending your skill level, I find that a Coyote is a great noob friendly midrange.

I wish the Hawk was currently available in nicer plastic cause it is a real nice evenly stable mid-range.

midranges are like the best discs, they're all so awesome you have trouble finding one that ISN'T good.

I've got a buzz that I use most of the time but I like Roc's, skeeter, wasp, drone, evolution and comet that I've tried.

They're all going to do what you want, the Comet can get a bit flippy same with (not sure which one) wasp or drone...

\/\/

I forgot to mention! Shark! Everybody is okay with a shark!

I forgot to mention! Shark! Everybody is okay with a shark!

I hate sharks, they sicken me. I'd rather throw a Roc that has been used as a chew toy than a Shark, and I throw Buzzzes.

But yeah, Mids are great. I throw Wasps, Rocs, Buzzzes, Nebulas, Impacts (Noob approved), QMS's, Sentinels, Skeeters (noob approved), the list goes on. Qms's are really underrated mids.

Buzzz, Coyote, Cro, Gator, Nebula...and even the Roc are good choices.

Being new you might not realize how loaded that question is. Your mid is a disc that you should be throwing almost all of your shots with. Seriously! Many players have developed a love for their versitile mid- usually a buzzz or wasp from discraft, or a roc from innova. Now please don't ask which is better.

well, i shoot -9 (course par) today at glacier ridge metro park, so idk if noobish is what to look for.

Well, that course doesn't sound too challenging to me but I say you can't go wrong with a Buzzz, Roc, or Qms. Impacts are cool b/c they have a really driver like feel to them, just get a heavier one if you feel like you have a big arm.

Regarding Glacier ridge metro park, I want to know who decided to call a 220 foot hole a par 4. I mean that is just crazy.

Now on to the mid range question I absolutely love my buzz because it is a touch flippy and I can throw it really straight. If you like things a bit more stable Rocs are a great alternative. Now if you have a huge arm and just want to rip a mid I can't say enough good things about a champion gator, although I generally don't throw hard enough for it and only use it into a headwind.

I hate sharks, they sicken me. I'd rather throw a Roc that has been used as a chew toy than a Shark, and I throw Buzzzes.

But yeah, Mids are great. I throw Wasps, Rocs, Buzzzes, Nebulas, Impacts (Noob approved), QMS's, Sentinels, Skeeters (noob approved), the list goes on. Qms's are really underrated mids.

Very true. I won't take the buzzz side on this one, I always promote them and use them but there are tons of mids out there and it's just about finding the one you like. Good mids include:

Discraft Buzzz <-Go to mid/disc
Discraft Wasp
Innova Roc
Innova Coyote
Innova Spider
Innova Cro <-Great disc, my first ace with this one.
QMS
Lat 64 Core <-Like a buzzz but doesn't feel quite like a brick in your hand, feels smaller like a Cro like feel
Ching Legacy <-flippier but if you have finesse this thing will glide for ever. The most beautiful anny mid I've seen. One of my ace discs.

the wolf is great for new players who don't have big arms/ still always throw hyzer. If you find that's too understable for you a coyote is also a great beginner's mid range. Eventually you will want a buzzz or roc though. Just pick one and stick with it and you'll eventually get into arguments on how awesome it is.

If you're looking for something more stable but still straight I'd go with a rhyno. Yes I know they're technically putters but you can put them out pretty far with crazy accuracy.