• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Minnesota/Wisconsin or Michigan/Indiana in September?

blazerico

Eagle Member
This kinda became a silly question after I listed the courses I intend to play in each area. It clearly seems that MN/WI beats MI/IN, but I figured I'd throw it out there in hope of getting opinions from those that have played in both states. So, which trip would you recommend for me to take this fall? Anything missing from either list?

MN/WI courses:
Highbridge
Mont du Lac
Blue Ribbon Pines
Bryant Lake
Justin Trails
Rollin Ridge
Winter Park

MI/IN courses:
Lemon Lake
Rodgers-lakewood
Flip City
Leviathan
Hickory hills
Shore Acres
Oshtemo

I don't think it's quite as lop-sided as you said.... but I would vote MN/WI too. Looks like all the hits.

Add Silver Creek in with the RR/Winter Park bundle....and I hope you're dedicating at LEAST a full day to Highbridge.

You'll want Sandy Point and Standing Rocks in there, as well.

I could probably devote a whole vacation to Highbridge, but will probably play 2 layouts then move on...

^more like 3 days.

Yeah, if I could just camp at Highbridge for the week, I'd just do that. I could play Granite/Blueberry/Gold/Woodland nonstop for a week with no problem, especially if you're bunked up at the Honka. You could always make a day trip or two from there...one to MN, one down to Sandy Point.

Actually what I would consider is heading to Ludington, MI to catch Flip and Leviathan. Then take the car ferry across Lake Michigan from Ludington to Manitowoc, WI and hit Silver Creek and Rollin' (Winter Park optional). Head north to Highbridge (Sandy Point optional on the way). Swing over to Mont du Lac down to BRP. Then, head southeast thru the Twin Cities and pick one or two among Kaposia, The Valley, Oakwood or CP Adams on your way south on US 61 heading down the Mississippi toward Justin Trails. Lemon Lake and Rogers are on your route home after passing through Chicago if you have time to stop on the way.

The car ferry ain't cheap, though.

Also, this is totally personal preference...but I'd play Winter Park before Silver Creek, if you can spare the extra hour or so of drive time.

I should have stated in OP that this trip will only be about 4-5 days, looking like a Wed-Sun. I thought about taking the ferry, but it is a little costly...basically like another plane ticket but you don't go as far.

Just my $0.02, but I'd play Kaposia over Bryant Lake every single time.

depends on the player. You could take a lot of people to KP who would hate it and want to quit DG for the day while Bryant is a little easier on the average player and multiple round days.

I don't really disagree with you for some "good" disc golf but the actual condition of the course vs Bryant is not even comparable so a lot of people like that "nice" factor over the actually superior DG play.

Rather than spend so much time driving versus playing on a 4-5 day trip, consider flying to the Twin Cities (Priceline for flight, car, motel) and spend your time playing dawn to dusk. More worthwhile 18+ hole courses within an hour than you could play in 4 days.

Rather than spend so much time driving versus playing on a 4-5 day trip, consider flying to the Twin Cities (Priceline for flight, car, motel) and spend your time playing dawn to dusk. More worthwhile 18+ hole courses within an hour than you could play in 4 days.

Indeed. And that is a nice time to be here.

depends on the player. You could take a lot of people to KP who would hate it and want to quit DG for the day while Bryant is a little easier on the average player and multiple round days.

I don't really disagree with you for some "good" disc golf but the actual condition of the course vs Bryant is not even comparable so a lot of people like that "nice" factor over the actually superior DG play.

Fair point for sure, and why I said it was just my two cents.
I like Bryant, but wood chips and bag holders don't make the golf any better. He's got a pretty serious list of good golf courses, and I think kaposia fits better.
But, you're right, I should not have made that assumption.

yeah for sure! add all the three rivers glitter and pretty bows to KP and its a top 5 course in the world lol.

I'll be flying into Chicago(Midway), Minneapolis or Milwaukee. Minn has the highest prices right now so most likely one of the others. I'll be trolling the booking sites to find a reasonable price and tailoring the trip accordingly. Is there another city/airport that I should be looking at for lowest price? (from Newark btw) I typically don't drive more than 3-4 hours between destinations during this type of trip, so I can get in at least two rounds a day. I don't mind driving at all, it's rest time in between rounds and something to do at night instead of sitting in a hotel.

I'll look into Kaposia. I don't mind low amenities as long as the course rocks and can be followed with signs or a map.

I'll be flying into Chicago(Midway), Minneapolis or Milwaukee. Minn has the highest prices right now so most likely one of the others. I'll be trolling the booking sites to find a reasonable price and tailoring the trip accordingly. Is there another city/airport that I should be looking at for lowest price? (from Newark btw) I typically don't drive more than 3-4 hours between destinations during this type of trip, so I can get in at least two rounds a day. I don't mind driving at all, it's rest time in between rounds and something to do at night instead of sitting in a hotel.

I'll look into Kaposia. I don't mind low amenities as long as the course rocks and can be followed with signs or a map.

You can try Appleton or Green Bay. I think you can find decent prices into Appleton lately. Appleton puts you right smack into disc golf country.

This.

I loves me my Wisconsin courses, but the Twin Cities area has an awesome concentration of killer courses all within a half hour or so of each other.

When I worked in St Paul, I was lucky enough to have Kaposia Park as my home course. It will always be one of my all time favorites.

MyFavorite state for dg is Wisconsin, truly incredible golf around here - granted there's a couple states I haven't thoroughly explored, doesn't get much better. Stop by and visit my place if it fits your schedule, free lodging and zip lines and some fun dg if you can swing it.