• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Most Exhausting Courses....

Horseshoe Canyon in the dead of summer.

Conifer in the dead of winter.

Poli Poli in Maui- 56 holes at 6k elevation. Its pretty much up and down the whole time. But its so beautiful and the weather is so nice its not too bad.

Last edited:
I think if you start at hole 1 at conifer it's brutal, the hike back is no joke after playing around the mountain. Easier if you start at hole 12(?). Bailey can also be very taxing, but with the scenery of either of those 2 it makes for a pleasurable round no matter how wiped you are.

On the other hand:
The one that always wears me out is Turkey Creek, I'm down for a few long holes, but when most are just long to be long and then the walk between basket and tee is long, factor in the wind and it can be a very physically taxing round. I can't imagine throwing back to back rounds there. And the scenery doesn't change, you have Cheyenne mountain in the background but after so many featureless holes, heat and wind it starts feeling less like disc golf and more like the Bataan Death March.

I replayed Old Settlers park yesterday after a nine year break and it was as exhausting as I remembered. Exhausting in the sense that, unlike all the other courses mentioned in this thread, there's really nothing to look forward to to keep any interest going. By the time you make it out to the farthest part of the course on hole 8, and are about two miles from the parking lot, invariably it's like "why the f did i come here". Crush, walk, get blown over by the wind, walk, crush again . . . repeat . . . repeat . . . repeat . . .

I would say Conifer holes 1-3. Straight up at 8,000 feet with no warm up.

^definitely

behind that, from what i played:

winter park, co
water works, mo
sioux passage, st louis
the lodge courses, pawhuska
duncan hillclimber, ok

After giving it some thought, I'm going to agree with Solitude 27 hole layout being the most exhausting course I've played.

Though Diamond X I was pretty exhausted after the first 18, I put off the second 18 until the next day, I bet 36 holes there would be killer. 36 holes at Mont du Lac is pretty exhausting, though I wasn't so tired to not play another round on the mountain course. I remember being exhausted after a round at West lake, like crawling for the last couple holes, I must have been out of shape that day or something. Then there was Hornets Nest, my 7th 18 holer in charlotte that day, don't know if I've ever been so exhausted.

Telemark in Wisconsin was a long, hilly walk (ski resort course). Also, original layout of Blue Valley in Mo. is TOUGH! I would add Highbridge Gold except I rented a golf cart:)

Blue Valley in Kansas City. When the pins are in the long position, it is impossibly long. So many hills, ungodly long, and more times than not its very very windy. Just not a fun course if your having a bad round or cant throw far

Blue Valley in kcmo. Its like 11000 ft

hummel in omaha.......

Both of these. Add Wildcat Bluff and you have my most exhausting unholy trinity. I had the mispleasure of playing all three of these the first time in less than ideal conditions. BV it was heat, Hummel it was cold, and Wildcat it was the cold and the wind. Even Beaver Ranch was a more pleasant experience and its in the mountains.

W.R. Jackson at the IDGC is the most grueling I've played. 9300', parts of which go up and down some significant hills. And, in my particular case, a lot of stumbling around in the woods to reach my errant throws.

Last edited:
*Currently*
Hole 1-Sidehill shot with ~20' uphill change
Hole 2- Huge uphill shot turning to a sidehill green ~60' change
Hole 3-Sidehill shot to an elevated basket, ~15' uphill
Hole 4-Small valley shot off the tee to a flat fairway and green ~20' change
Hole 5- 220' hole with ~120' downhill change haha
Hole 6-342' mid-range hole, ~30' downhill change
Hole 7- ~100' uphill change
Hole 8- ~15' change
Hole 9- opposite of a valley shot, rollaway green with ~20' change
Hole 10- Awesome downhill ace run, ~40' change
Hole 11- 441' downhill bomb, ~100' change
Hole 12-open but tight 400' par 3 with ~50' downhill change
Hole 13-Huge uphill par 5 from longs (~90' change) par 4 from the shorts ~60' uphill
Hole 14- 1000' valley hole first 700' dowhill, the last 300' are a grueiling uphill, sidehill with an overall change of ~200'

I really don't feel like reading 18 pages of responses... I haven't played an exhausting course yet, but I hear that Crystal Mountain is a serious workout. The toughest day I had was the day that I played Terrace Creek five times in a row. Not that burly of a course, but it is if you play it and walk out five times.

No particular order
Napa Skyline
Stafford
DeLa
Ski Sunrise
and a few of the Michigan ski hill courses are killer
Carly's Playground
Boyne
Hanson Hills
It is those hills that kill me. Courses like Idlywild are punishing, but in a more good way.

I really don't feel like reading 18 pages of responses... I haven't played an exhausting course yet, but I hear that Crystal Mountain is a serious workout. The toughest day I had was the day that I played Terrace Creek five times in a row. Not that burly of a course, but it is if you play it and walk out five times.

change your set up. its only 6 pages for me.

Renny, Back Nine at Warner. both brutal in the summer.

Toughest Courses I've played

While I have not ventured far, the three toughest that I have played are:

1. Tyler State Park All C Positions ONLY. Not only is it a serious walk, it's a serious mental grind, every shot.

2. Lake Nockamixon. It is the most "in your face" course I've ever played in my life. You climb across creeks, up huge hills, down huge hills, over rocks, on rocks, etc, while trying to stay in those uber tight, yet fair, fairways.

3. Iron Hill. While it is a longer course than Nockamixon in golds and just as demanding, it is not as "in your face" as Nockamixon, in my opinion. The thorns and going off the fairway isn't as bad. But, the length, and resulting par, more than makes up for that!

Carousel is a grueling course as well, and deserves honorable mention. But, I think if I played that without playing Iron Hill, first, it wouldn't have been as bad. I am hoping to test out this theory as soon as possible, since heavy thunder and lightning cut the experience short for us, on our last attempt.

Latest posts