• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Most Versatile Mid in the Game

Which mid range is most versatile?

• Roc

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • Buzzz

Votes: 42 25.8%
  • Mako

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Gator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Condor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shark

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Other

Votes: 60 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoffmoney

Recently have been focusing even more on shaping my bag to my play style. Drivers I have gotten down but mids I am still working on. Right now I have a dx shark but it is beginning to beat in fast considering that is my go to for about every mid range shot. It's a solid disc but I am looking for something different now that I can use for a wide variety of shots. Current options include a variety of the buzzz, the roc, and the mako, and I am even thinking about getting something like a glo gator or a condor. I just want something versatile. Opinions?

Btw, I am a power thrower when it comes to driving but for midrange shots I usually like to take off most of my power just because I feel a cleaner release that way

Stay tuned, a Million and one answers coming your way and a few fan-boy wars too!

:popcorn:

MVP tangent. Its like a easier to throw comet that holds up to power yet slower than a buzzz which might as well be a fairway driver. If the buzzz and classic roc came together as one mold the tangent is definition of versatile. Bead helps it hold up to headwinds with a hyzer release.

Mako isn't stable enough to be super versitile. Gator is too overstable to do anything but fade. You might break one in to get some glide but that's about it.

Haven't thrown a regular dx shark in ages, but the new shark3s are awesome. Very similar flight to a roc with a different hand feel. HSS without a ton of fade. Great disc

Roc/buzz is whatever you prefer. I've been throwing rocs since 2006, so that's where I stand on that. Nothing wrong with a buzz tho

The Mako has a beveled edge and one can get pretty creative hyzer dip and Anny pulling over shoulder height to produce a wide variety of lines on a fairly calm day. If You like the feel of the rim and can range it, run with it. In field practice push it on 'odd ball' lines and releases. Throw it like it is the only disc you got and it may well surprise you. Mako hits and sticks pretty good, so it has that going for it.

Last edited:
And the condor is more of a gimmick then anything . Fun to throw for the novelty, but realistically not a good disc choice

I picked "other"

Have to go with the mid that has been in my bag the longest, the Suspect.

It does everything well except go dead straight. It doesn't encroach on my fairways and is very predictable.

The best midrange is based on the thrower.
Speed,form,comfort are all factors.
The best midrange is the one you can use for most all shots within reason, before grabbing something more OS or US. There is no one best as it's up to the thrower.
Personally it's the MVP Axis. It goes wherever you throw it good or bad, hyzer or anny. Control it and you can work most lines up to 300ft with ease.

My friends a buzzz lover and he can equally make it work for him on any line he likes. But the Buzzz Ti Flx is best in his opinion.

Voted Buzzz for my game, but my buddy can make his Comets do almost ANYthing he needs them to.

Are you set on just one mid, because the standard recommendation is 3 (OS, S, US) . (just asking)

1 disc would be preferred because it would take much less time to master shot shaping one than three different molds. After I find a mold I like best I'll probably just buy more of that same mold with different wears.

Stay tuned, a Million and one answers coming your way and a few fan-boy wars too!

:popcorn:

'nuff said :D

As usual the MVP Trilogy Innova Prodigy etc. fanboys will come out.

My 2 cents? Shark. I cut my teeth on that disc, and it is a good one.

a line up of cycled rocs is probably the most versatile mid range. Cycling isn't hard too, you just start with one new one use it for a month, then add one, use the 1st one until it becomes understable, and then start using the 2nd one, after a month add a new roc. Move them up the line.

You can cycle as few as two or three rocs and as many as infinity (seriously though people might bag 3-6 rocs in varying degrees of stability).

the other way to do it is to bag three different molds in premium plastic (that will probably last maybe over a season or longer).

for example:

understable: Z comet
stable: premium plastic suspect
moderately overstable: champion roc3

bagging only one mid that's "super versatile" sounds good in theory, but in actual practice its awesome to cycle one mold, have different molds to cover different stabilities in premium plastics, or a mixture of the two above just using one versatile midrange disc for everything.

Last edited:
The Roc.

Fresh KC Roc for OS/Stable.

Flat top KC Roc for fast stable straight flights.

DX Roc. Throw it at a wall for a couple minutes. Boom, flippy Roc.

If I had to stick with one it would be the Alias. It's very HSS without a lot of LSS. Holds lines very well. You can carry lighter and heavier to cover your bases for stability.

Tangent is pretty close, but more understable than the Alias.