• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mountain Bike Integration

Hagg Lake, about an hour west of Portland, has a mt. bike trail passing through it. And Pier Park often has cyclocrossers practicing there ìn the off-season.

West Ashley in Charleston and their is miles of motocross trails at Carolina Adventure World outside of Winnsboro, SC. I also played a tournament at Tyler State Park several years ago and mountain bikers rode through while we were playing.

Also Waitawa Regional Park in Auckland again has both bikes and golf. Seems the council is quite keen to group the two activities together.

I think there should be clarification about whether you mean mt. biking in the same park or through the disc golf course...and then if you mean down the center of the fairway.

Someone earlier mentioned stub Stewart. I have had encounters with horse back riders on the trails through that course more than mt. bikes...but I know there are a lot of mt. bike trails in the park.

On the flip side, I had to jump out of the way of a mt. biker who literally couldn't stop as he flew down the trail/disc golf fairway at willamette pass. Granted, that is a ski slope and we were the only golfers on the mountain that I saw compared to 100 mt. bikers but...it was a multi-use area and disc golfers were definitely in the minority. So much so that the gondola operators seemed happy to see disc golfers going to the top of the mountain.

There are various degrees of interaction between guests in an area that should be specified imo.

Good point. To make an analogy, a city can have both sidewalks and roads, and if done right, it can be fairly safe. However, that doesn't mean putting a sidewalk at ground level diagonally across an Interstate Highway is safe.

Not even if one can find an example of another city putting a sidewalk at ground level diagonally across an Interstate Highway.

Out near Aberdeen at Richmond Lake State park where disc golf course is with its 2-3 holes that are full in some small woods area and poorly maintained, they have Ski trials that in the summer people bike and in the winter a few fat tire riders do on a specific side or section of that trail. Also some actual tight trails that I have not seen yet. Not sure if I mentioned this course yet.

Here's the background: The local MTB club is very established and was able to convince John Deere to donate a parcel of land to the county to build MTB trails. The county wants the park to be a multi recreational area and has proposed disc golf. The MTB group is leery of the integration between the two and possibly rooting against the installation. The trickiest part of the integration will be access to the largest part of the course. Their are two large areas on top of the bluffs that would make up the large majority of the course, but there is really only one main way up. The MTB group has requested research on the "best practices" of the integration, as well as acreage utilized in other parks with similar setups.

In my limited experience on shared biking/golfing courses one thing I have noticed that should be considered in a design is that fairways and bike trails run perpendicular to each other.

It's one thing to post signs on the course that say watch for bike crossing on the trail. It is another thing if the bike trail runs along side the entire fairway or even is in the middle of the fairway.

That type of design might end up being an issue depending on the amount of use.

Here's the background: The local MTB club is very established and was able to convince John Deere to donate a parcel of land to the county to build MTB trails. The county wants the park to be a multi recreational area and has proposed disc golf. The MTB group is leery of the integration between the two and possibly rooting against the installation. The trickiest part of the integration will be access to the largest part of the course. Their are two large areas on top of the bluffs that would make up the large majority of the course, but there is really only one main way up. The MTB group has requested research on the "best practices" of the integration, as well as acreage utilized in other parks with similar setups.
The solution is clear, let both user groups use the entire property to design the best layouts for each activity, but limit their use to alternate days of the week.

In my limited experience on shared biking/golfing courses one thing I have noticed that should be considered in a design is that fairways and bike trails run perpendicular to each other.

It's one thing to post signs on the course that say watch for bike crossing on the trail. It is another thing if the bike trail runs along side the entire fairway or even is in the middle of the fairway.

That type of design might end up being an issue depending on the amount of use.

Another thing to consider with the bolded part is that mountain bikers, in most cases, can and will go in both directions on the trail. So if you design their trails near, or on, a fairway and think "we'll just throw after they go by", then you step up and throw and some guy comes the opposite direction. He might just eat your "perfect drive".

The solution is clear, let both user groups use the entire property to design the best layouts for each activity, but limit their use to alternate days of the week.

Things haven't progressed very promisingly since my OP. The MTB group spent nearly a half million on design and installation fees and the trails are nearly complete. They scraped the initial design which I had designed the disc golf course around and use way more of the property than anyone had previously envisioned. What's worse, the county seems to be getting cold feet now about disc golf now, after advertising it was coming for the last 2 years.

Things haven't progressed very promisingly since my OP. The MTB group spent nearly a half million on design and installation fees and the trails are nearly complete. They scraped the initial design which I had designed the disc golf course around and use way more of the property than anyone had previously envisioned. What's worse, the county seems to be getting cold feet now about disc golf now, after advertising it was coming for the last 2 years.

:wall: :doh: :thmbdown:

Another thing to consider with the bolded part is that mountain bikers, in most cases, can and will go in both directions on the trail. So if you design their trails near, or on, a fairway and think "we'll just throw after they go by", then you step up and throw and some guy comes the opposite direction. He might just eat your "perfect drive".

Huh? At the mountain bike/disc golf combo near me, the bike trail goes in specific directions depending on the day of the week.

If they "can and will go in both directions on the trail" wouldn't they run into each other????????

There's a multi-use trail system here that uses that technique. MTB use is restricted on Wednesdays and Saturdays. Equestrians and hikers can go every day.

Huh? At the mountain bike/disc golf combo near me, the bike trail goes in specific directions depending on the day of the week.

If they "can and will go in both directions on the trail" wouldn't they run into each other????????

On that same multi-use trail I described above, the direction changes every week. Works out fine.

I think the idea of swapping days to share the land is a good one, but everyone has to be on board with it.

The MTB group were the ones to get the land donated to the county, so they would not be on board with swapping days to share. However, to even use the MTB trails, the weather needs to be nearly perfect and the trails need to be quite dry. This leads MTB trails to really only be open 30% of the year in Iowa. At this point, I would even entertain the idea that disc golf be closed ANY time the trails were open.

Falling Creek Park in Bedford VA has both Mountain Bike trails and Disc Golf and they hold both Mountain Bike events and Disc Golf Tournaments at the same location. For the most part they don't seem to interfere with each other. The only time it's been a problem for me is when they add a temporary circuit on the disc golf course for events like the "Bedford MountainXCross Race Series". Here is a link to the Bedford Co. Parks and Rec page.

https://bedfordtrails.wordpress.com/bedfordmountaincross/