• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Music on the course

Music, even if I like it otherwise, almost always comes off as obnoxious. Not meaning it hurts my game, but that I don't go to the park to have constant noise. Everyone else can barely hear it anyway. I've never understood why some folks need to have background noise.
My buddy brings a small single Bluetooth speaker frequently, and even though I like his taste in tunes, I'd rather not have it.
Why do the loudest people always seem to be advertising how bad their musical taste is?

I always play with music, but I use earbuds. It helps me tune out distractions, and focus on what I need to focus on which is the throw. During casual rounds with people I like I won't use them, but in any competitive situation I usually turn them on. I also have the music turned off 80% of the time... that way I can socialize, talk, tell/get scores, but when I step up to the teepad or go to take my putt I turn it on. After not having my Shuffle charged for a tournament last weekend and losing numerous strokes due to inconsiderate people, I won't ever forget to charge it before a tournament again.

I've also noticed that it's slightly helpful to card-mates too. They don't have to worry about distracting me when I'm throwing. I've taken a putt or throw a bunch of times only to have people apologize about talking, sneezing, or making noise while I threw... I simply told them I didn't even notice and it didn't bother me at all.

I think music during a casual round if it is agreed upon is great! My friend has a bluetooth speaker that we listen to quite regularly, however if were backed up on a hole and people are teeing off he will turn it off out of respect. And if were playing a course casually that is having an event of any sort, we leave it in the car. Depends on the situation really.

I always play with music, but I use earbuds. It helps me tune out distractions, and focus on what I need to focus on which is the throw.
How do you tune out distractions with another distraction? This sounds really stupid.

Not a fan, but it's your course as much as it is mine.

music's great on the chairlift, not so much on the course

How do you tune out distractions with another distraction? This sounds really stupid.

Hmmmm listening to music I like while playing a round (competitive or casual) vs. the verbal diarrhea of an idiot card mate. Yeah I'll take the distraction I enjoy.

Last night an amateur in my group at our weekly had some screaming death metal stuff playing in his bag which was sitting next to the tee pad. I asked him if I was going to have to listen to that all night and he said he would turn it off it it bothered me. I said it did and he turned it off. It was a casual conversation and we both agreed. I explained that I never listen to music in a tournament and didn't want something to shift my focus. There wasn't any hostility although he probably thought I was being a prick. His gf gave a little chuckle. She had ear buds in and was listening to R&B and would occasionally start singing in her sweet voice. She was pretty and reminded me of the beautiful girl in the stream at the beginning of last week's Game of Thrones. I was distracted all night and finished in second place. Music is evil

Last night an amateur in my group at our weekly had some screaming death metal stuff playing in his bag which was sitting next to the tee pad. I asked him if I was going to have to listen to that all night and he said he would turn it off it it bothered me. I said it did and he turned it off. It was a casual conversation and we both agreed. I explained that I never listen to music in a tournament and didn't want something to shift my focus. There wasn't any hostility although he probably thought I was being a prick. His gf gave a little chuckle. She had ear buds in and was listening to R&B and would occasionally start singing in her sweet voice. She was pretty and reminded me of the beautiful girl in the stream at the beginning of last week's Game of Thrones. I was distracted all night and finished in second place. Music is evil

Were you as creepy as grey worm?

I don't care if music is played or not... That(music) has never been the issue when I screw up. I do find it refreshing if the music player ask if anyone cares, most don't. I don't care if you talk when I throw, walk,talk or wiggle when I putt. I understand those who do... Be aware of the others with you, and if someones crosses a line speak to them nicely, yelling pisses everyone off.

Sometimes I put a pandora channel on my phone, but only loud enough for me to hear it when I'm carrying my bag or if you're very close. Never during a tournament of league round would I do this, however. Keep it casual when its supposed to be casual. If you want to listen to tunes in league or tournament play get some headphones. Make sure to keep others in your group and groups close by in mind, so that you're not disturbing anyone :thmbup:

I'm on the side of no music. It is distracting to me. I enjoy the sounds of nature. To me, that is one of the pros of disc golf. To detach from technology for a time, from the constant hum of music, television or city, and get out in the parks and just throw, quietly contemplate a shot, curse at the tree for daring to run into your disc.

I usually throw some really mellow stuff in my headphones if I end up not doing well part way through a round. It usually helps me regain some focus and confidence through the rest of the game.