• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] MVP/Axiom Fairway Driver Delineation and Descrimination Thread

I've tried them all. Bagged pretty much all of them at one point besides the Relay / Signal, which were a little flippier than I like (I did bag a Switch for a bit when I was playing lefty, it flew nice for me that way).

Right now my fairway drivers are, from OS to US:

Fireball (Seasoned SE)
Wrath (Seasoned FR)
New Crave (Neutron)
Beat Crave (Neutron, FR)
Insanity (Neutron)

This covers my medium to long distance range very well for me.

The Crave is the best fairway driver I've tried. It has amazing glide, a very nice flight path that gets more versatile as it ages, and a very comfortable wing shape. I use mine a lot for medium power flicks that I want to fly lower and further than my mids, while not having much more fade or skip. Deadly accurate.

The Volt was my fairway staple for years, but over time I found the Crave / Wrath combo works better for me. Craves offer less fade and more control when pinpoint accuracy counts, while Wraths handle wind and power better while having a similar flight path.

The Resistor was a cornerstone of my bag for years. I really liked how well they powered down, and how similar the rim is to the Crave. I feel Fireballs are a little more versatile though. They can go a little further and skip better, while still powering down well. Especially now that the slow, OS slots are more fleshed out in MVP's line-up, I felt it made sense to replace it with the faster mold.

For a new player I'd go with the Crave + Switch. They're slower than the Wrath class I bag so easier to control, and most players are able to get useful turn out of the Switch, which may not be true for the Inspire.

Servo is a disc I really enjoyed throwing when they came out, but for me the Crave overshadowed it. If you were trying to build a minimalist bag, the Servo could be a great option.

Inspire is one that doesn't get much love that I've bagged many times. It flies a lot like my beat Crave, so if I knew I was playing a water heavy course, I'd often carry one to throw instead of risking the Crave.

The Clash has a really nice straight to fade style flight path for me, flew great, but the rim is pretty sharp. Not a big fan of it for that reason. If it fits you grip, they fly great.

Relay is a very versatile mold, probably the best choice for a new player that wants a single driver to work with. For a beginner, Relay, Tangent and an Anode or Proxy or Atom would be a great 3 disc combo IMO.

2 cents here from an old coot who needed more distance: the Relay is a miracle-worker for me in getting controlled distance right, left, or straight.
So smooth. If you don't throw 300', and want more distance, borrow one and give the Relay a try.

2 cents here from an old coot who needed more distance: the Relay is a miracle-worker for me in getting controlled distance right, left, or straight.
So smooth. If you don't throw 300', and want more distance, borrow one and give the Relay a try.

Also, if you throw more than 300', borrow one and give the Relay a try.

It gets understable slowly. It doesn't have that hard speed break between flying stable to suddenly being flippy.

I'm still a bit puzzled with my flight numbers Proton Volt. ...

The only Volt I've not had be really finicky is a Fission Volt. The others I've tried have all flown a bit wonky from the ratings and then been highly variable on different lines. The fission Volt has been true to rating and hasn't surprised me on any of the lines I've used it on.

After today I really want to explore the Relay/Volt combo some more.

My fairway lineup seems to have stabilized with the Volt, Relay, and Signal (so solid in tailwinds). There are headwinds that occasionally have me wanting something a bit beefier, though usually those three get the job done.

Latest posts