• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can confirm. I play glow with my putting Envy + an Ion, Axis and Volt. Even my 200+ lumen Fenix LEDs can't match a cheap UV light

Back in my day....

...we carried a camera flash. Put that puppy on test mode, call "Fire in the hole" (so everyone can cover their eyes) and hit the button.

Way brighter glow than a flashlight.

Bonus: When you bomb one in the trees and it has lost its glow, just flash (with the camera flash, not by opening your trenchcoat) the woods and it will appear as if by magic.

Just make sure you know how to use the flash. You can get pretty darn good ones that run off 4 AAs for pretty cheap.

I guess I completely forgot to post what I was looking at this thread regarding...

Maybe I am elitist, but one of things that impresses me about MVP is that they DON'T offer non-premium plastic. There is something to be said for a company that only has few products and says, "This is our best effort, this is what you want."

In fact, I actually wish they would figure a blend that has the good properties of Proton and Neutron and just make that. No more guessing, no picking one for X and the other for Y. Just buy the one model and know it is the best Tesla (or whatever). To me, that is a lean company, and one that puts faith in their product.

With no baseline plastic are they losing customers? Maybe a few. But the people I know who throw Dx don't throw it because they can't afford a higher-end line, they just prefer it for particular molds. If a company doesn't give you that option you aren't stuck in the world of wanting a Star Teebird to fly like a Dx Teebird. you just know the discs as they are in premium plastic. If they want a different flight profile, do it with a mold change, not a plastic change. If the grip isn't up to snuff with the current plastic, modify the plastic to be better, don't make a sacrifice and inferior product.

But the business side of me (and my breed of marketing...) says don't even offer it in anything that isn't what you deem to be the best. 2 types of plastic is plenty (I might say 1 too many). I like some discraft products but it drives me nuts to decide on Pro D, X, Z, ESP, FLX, or Ti. Seriously? And now with GSTAR Innova is going down that same line. I'd rather see them release a line, cancel 3 other lines, and say, "We did it. This stuff is better on all fronts." I'd even pay more for it if it really is.

How many threads here are based on the difference between disc X and Disc Y, but disc X in A plastic flies like disc Y in B plastic, which is similar to disc.....you get the point. Take some of the variables out. Make your flight chart true by only offering the disc in the plastic you want it to be thrown in.

So short story long, I applaud MVP for not releasing a baseline plastic, and hope they stick with their model of being a premium discgolf company.

If Lexus released a $20,000 car it would ruin their business model...

meh. they already said they're going to release baseline plastic so it's kind of a moot point.

they'd be more of a premium disc golf company with it, IMO. neutron and proton are hardly different plastic options. neutron is good for dye jobs, proton isn't so much. the days of neutron and proton flying significantly different flights are over. you can find transitional runs of discs, too.

base plastic offers a lot. people just don't see it and that's cool, i guess. MVP does and that's even cooler. i for one am very excited. i don't think it's going to detract from anything. they were professionals with plastic before they started making discs. i think it's odd how people are against having more options. you think the glide in these discs is great now, just want until you have base plastic vectors and tangents. you will be throwing the best lines with the least amount of effort ever.

I'd like to see some mids and drivers in soft, that would be sweet.

There is a reason why many PIAS bins are full of beat up DX and always have been. Not including all the new stock.

I agree with koda

I guess I completely forgot to post what I was looking at this thread regarding...

Maybe I am elitist, but one of things that impresses me about MVP is that they DON'T offer non-premium plastic. There is something to be said for a company that only has few products and says, "This is our best effort, this is what you want."

In fact, I actually wish they would figure a blend that has the good properties of Proton and Neutron and just make that. No more guessing, no picking one for X and the other for Y. Just buy the one model and know it is the best Tesla (or whatever). To me, that is a lean company, and one that puts faith in their product.

With no baseline plastic are they losing customers? Maybe a few. But the people I know who throw Dx don't throw it because they can't afford a higher-end line, they just prefer it for particular molds. If a company doesn't give you that option you aren't stuck in the world of wanting a Star Teebird to fly like a Dx Teebird. you just know the discs as they are in premium plastic. If they want a different flight profile, do it with a mold change, not a plastic change. If the grip isn't up to snuff with the current plastic, modify the plastic to be better, don't make a sacrifice and inferior product.

But the business side of me (and my breed of marketing...) says don't even offer it in anything that isn't what you deem to be the best. 2 types of plastic is plenty (I might say 1 too many). I like some discraft products but it drives me nuts to decide on Pro D, X, Z, ESP, FLX, or Ti. Seriously? And now with GSTAR Innova is going down that same line. I'd rather see them release a line, cancel 3 other lines, and say, "We did it. This stuff is better on all fronts." I'd even pay more for it if it really is.

How many threads here are based on the difference between disc X and Disc Y, but disc X in A plastic flies like disc Y in B plastic, which is similar to disc.....you get the point. Take some of the variables out. Make your flight chart true by only offering the disc in the plastic you want it to be thrown in.

So short story long, I applaud MVP for not releasing a baseline plastic, and hope they stick with their model of being a premium discgolf company.

If Lexus released a $20,000 car it would ruin their business model...

I always imagined MVP base line plastic would only be for putters. Like how westside only has premium plastic except for putters.

I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion.

It's kinda silly to not want a company to make base line putters. The vast majority of top level players use base line putters. But I see your point about keeping everything else premium.

you think the glide in these discs is great now, just want until you have base plastic vectors and tangents. you will be throwing the best lines with the least amount of effort ever.

Exactly my point. If you want more glide, why not make a disc in the premium plastic with more glide?

There is nothing magical about the aerodynamics of a different plastic; it can be reproduced in a high-end line. It just takes some dedicated work. (Call NACA if you must.) If you want the performance of a lower-type/model/series of plastic, design a disc that performs the way you want in the plastic you want to use.

Although if they have said they are making the baseline regardless, concur with you that it is purely academic at this point. You know, unless they cancel the project. But even then I doubt it would be based on an internet forum :)

Also, it isn't like MVP is asking me to be on their executive steering board, so my opinion is like that of everyone else: mine. I just hate to see a company move away from its original formula that I thought was cutting edge for the disc-golf world.

I am loving my Soft Proton Ion. It is going to be my fairway ace disc. This disc just flies so nicely and I've had some great shots with it. I hit the basket today with it on a short approach/long putt and I also sent one right by the basket on another approach which was about 180 feet out. I've also been throwing it on short drives where I can. Great disc!

Exactly my point. If you want more glide, why not make a disc in the premium plastic with more glide? .

so why I have said for ever to thrash the hell all of an MVP disc... people who throw glossy unscratch Neutron plastic are missing out but if they don't want to ruin those discs MVP will have baseline soon enough'

there are lots of MVP in my bag which look like hell but fly great it is what it is. brand new discs are the worst to have in the bag anyways.

Exactly my point. If you want more glide, why not make a disc in the premium plastic with more glide?

I tend to agree with this general philosophy. It makes for far more consistency and dependability as far as the company is concerned. Also, it spares the consumer the arduous task of hitting the "sweet spot" that others with months or years of wear on their discs enjoy and rave about.

Additionally, there's something to be said for having a locked-in set of discs. Granted, every disc wears no matter the plastic, but MVP's lineup thus far is incredibly reliable. The discs I bought first-run are still flying in much the same way. I highly doubt they'll change with another 2-3 years of playing. I understand the point of cycling plastic, but ultimately it produces an ever-changing bag. Even if certain discs stay in the bag, the role they play constantly changes.

All that to simply say, I honestly believe there'll always be people who simply enjoy the process of wearing a disc in. Ain't nothing wrong with that, and for that reason alone I think MVP's "baseline" will be popular.

(I'd be all over baseline Vectors, though. Shamelessly at that.)

Last edited:
I'm with Garret on this one. I feel like rotating plastic is becoming out dated. I know it worked great, but nowadays we have a mold for just about every shot in the book.

As mentioned in IN4D's post, between axiom/MVP there's a lot of overlap. I don't see why someone couldn't use 3 midrange discs with over-laping flight patterns instead rotating 3 like molds in base. To me this means I won't be rotating plastic out of my bag as much.

I still think MVP is great company but taking a different approach to the game. They have said they would come out with base, and if they do great for those who like it. We waited a while for soft neutron, and its finally coming. I feel like MVP takes there time to do it right, that's what I've appreciated about them since I started throwing them. They've also continued to try and pursue customer desires. We got drivers in the 150 class, volts and amps, to my knowledge are still not available in low weights.
Will they get to the really high speed drivers, I'm sure as they continue to fill out there line.

I'm sorry in4d your posts read more like a spurned stalker, who has decided to boil the bunny, than a disgruntled consumer.

Something tells me you've been drinking the kool-aid for too long. Ironic that you randomly start talking to me and then call me the stalker :popcorn:

Anyways, I'm not going to get into a battle of wits with you. I never attack anyone who's unarmed.

I agree with koda

I always imagined MVP base line plastic would only be for putters. Like how westside only has premium plastic except for putters.

I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion.

It's kinda silly to not want a company to make base line putters. The vast majority of top level players use base line putters. But I see your point about keeping everything else premium.

In Finland Westside sells their line-up in BT base plastic. They are only sold in supermarkets. I didn't find Finnish online stores sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.