• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching for an OS compliment to my waves. Leaning heavily towards a photon, but what do we think about the Defy? Photon seems a little more available.

Also contemplating picking up something like a Mayhem for max D. I don't know that I have the arm for it exactly, but it'd be fun to play with I think. Maybe a slightly underpowered Mayhem can serve in my OS slot?

Volt is in the range - more like a Teebird3 by the numbers. If you already have teebirds - and that's what you're looking for, there is currently no replacement from mvp. They discontinued the Clash which was the closest option. Hopefully one of Rhythm / Cypher fills that spot of a 0 turn, +2 fade driver.

Honestly the more I think about it, I have two glow TBs and a MF that can do the Tyrant things just fine, and then leave the Stags for turnovers and hyzerflips.

Just looking for an excuse to spend money lol.

Honestly the more I think about it, I have two glow TBs and a MF that can do the Tyrant things just fine, and then leave the Stags for turnovers and hyzerflips.

No no no. You're doing it wrong. You should hunt down some limited run flippy Teebirds to replace the Stags too and minimize molds. And you should sell the Stags, to prove you are fully committed to the Teebirds. :p

Searching for an OS compliment to my waves. Leaning heavily towards a photon, but what do we think about the Defy? Photon seems a little more available.

Also contemplating picking up something like a Mayhem for max D. I don't know that I have the arm for it exactly, but it'd be fun to play with I think. Maybe a slightly underpowered Mayhem can serve in my OS slot?

I asked the same questions a couple years ago after falling in love with the Wave and wanting a slightly more stable complement. Defy seems to be the answer if you read the MVP/Axiom literature. However, the answers I got here said the Defy and Photon were indistinguishable. I picked up a Defy and couple Photons myself, hoping the DGCR gyroheads were wrong and that I could get a full distance lineup with heavy Photon/light Photon/Defy/Wave. Instead, both Photons and the Defy flew nearly identically and all filled the same slot in the bag. The only minor difference is that the Defy actually dumped a little harder, while the Photons had a bit more of a forward fade.

Fission Photon is pretty decent, I've had a couple but I need em pretty light (155 or less) to throw em right. Personally I settled on a 163ish fission tesla, it's more in my wheelhouse for speed and 165 is typically my max weight for drivers. Haven't thrown the defy, it didn't sound like the numbers from what people said here, messed with some different weights of fission photons.

If you are buying a max D driver that you shouldn't haha the Mayhem is the best choice, it cheats well with some OAT and has a fairly linear turn to fade.. As opposed to something like a catalyst where it's oddly flippy and also stable hooky. Kinda like inertia vs orbital.

I wish they'd run more Excites. I want a backup/see if mine is a fluke.

Have you tried a Millennium JLS? It has a slower, more predictable turn than a Leopard(at least for me) and I believe it has the same top as a Teebird so it really only adds 1/2 a mold to your bag. The Millennium plastic is my preferred plastic, though I haven't really tried the Quantum or Sirius plastics.

Then you grab a Champion Banshee(PFN ideally) for overstable fairway duties.

Have you tried a Millennium JLS? It has a slower, more predictable turn than a Leopard(at least for me) and I believe it has the same top as a Teebird so it really only adds 1/2 a mold to your bag. The Millennium plastic is my preferred plastic, though I haven't really tried the Quantum or Sirius plastics.

Then you grab a Champion Banshee(PFN ideally) for overstable fairway duties.

I actually bagged one several years ago and liked it okay. I'll probably try Teebird/Stag for now but it's a good thought if Stags stay hard to find.

I think the Defy is the better option. The Photons I've thrown have run the range in between.the two - I think they are super inconsistent.

while i swore off buying any moar mvp plaz

i saw this at pias and in an isolated incident i had a moment of weakness

flat and 173g and sparkles with this nice lavaish rim edging

2krW9uz.jpg

2krW9uz.jpg

Very nice but I thought you were one of the light driver dudes, you arent getting any younger bruh.

Very nice but I thought you were one of the light driver dudes, you arent getting any younger bruh.

got my light fizzy volts on lock

i mix and match

if i buy any moar new drivers from a store i would but i havent done that in forever

most of my discs now are either previously bought or lost/found or i traded for it

i do prefer light drivers

Just finished up my first round of the year. Played a short 9holer. Some thoughts:

4 month break from the game does nothing for ones game.

Absolutely thrilled with my newest purchases: 2 insanities and a wrath courtesy of mr. Monocacy. They seen all the tee shots. A 157 neutron Insanity did a fantastic impression of my well worn and beloved 165 proton I had lost late last year. The slightly heavier wrath was exactly what I wanted, and replaces my 156 one that I once bagged for an OS complement to the Insanities.

My matrix needs a few more friends. I throw that disc so nicely.

I have a terrible forehand still. That didn't improve.

The bag going into the season:
163 cosmic neutron wave
164 plaz wave

164 neutron Insanity
157 neutron Insanity

162 neutron wrath

172 neutron volt
175 plaz crave
173 neutron relay
175 neutron resistor

179 plaz axis
175 neutron matrix

169 plaz ion
171 proton ion
165 soft n particle
175 firm E anode
172 tarpit stego

(2x) electron Anodes to putt

Feel like I'll probably drop the volt at some point due to some potential overlap with either the crave or wrath. We shall see. Also might add a Runway at some point, and may replace the Axis with an E matrix.

Just finished up my first round of the year. Played a short 9holer. Some thoughts:

4 month break from the game does nothing for ones game.

Absolutely thrilled with my newest purchases: 2 insanities and a wrath courtesy of mr. Monocacy. They seen all the tee shots. A 157 neutron Insanity did a fantastic impression of my well worn and beloved 165 proton I had lost late last year. The slightly heavier wrath was exactly what I wanted, and replaces my 156 one that I once bagged for an OS complement to the Insanities.

My matrix needs a few more friends. I throw that disc so nicely.

I have a terrible forehand still. That didn't improve.

The bag going into the season:
163 cosmic neutron wave
164 plaz wave

164 neutron Insanity
157 neutron Insanity

162 neutron wrath

172 neutron volt
175 plaz crave
173 neutron relay
175 neutron resistor

179 plaz axis
175 neutron matrix

169 plaz ion
171 proton ion
165 soft n particle
175 firm E anode
172 tarpit stego

(2x) electron Anodes to putt

Feel like I'll probably drop the volt at some point due to some potential overlap with either the crave or wrath. We shall see. Also might add a Runway at some point, and may replace the Axis with an E matrix.

im sorry about your mid set up

im sorry about your mid set up

That's probably the one bit that's gonna change more this year, but probably not in a way you'll appreciate haha. But honestly, with my current ability, I don't feel like I'm missing too many shots. My putters go too far and my fairways power down well, so I only really reach for that axis on 240' tunnel shots that I'm not positive I can reach with an Ion.

Can anyone tell me which of MVP's and Axiom's max distance drivers are regularly available in sub-170 weight ranges?

I've been wanting to try some of their distance drivers for a while but I really prefer those to be in the low-to-mid 160s and I've noticed some of the molds seem to mostly just be available in 170+.

Can anyone tell me which of MVP's and Axiom's max distance drivers are regularly available in sub-170 weight ranges?

I've been wanting to try some of their distance drivers for a while but I really prefer those to be in the low-to-mid 160s and I've noticed some of the molds seem to mostly just be available in 170+.

If you go to mvpdiscsports website, and click on a distance driver on the discs page, it will list the range of weights that the mold is supposedly produced in.

https://mvpdiscsports.com/discs/?discfilter[type]=distance-driver

Based on the weights listed, you probably cannot expect any 14 speed drivers to be under 170g. But, the 13 speeds will get under 170g, and some speed 11 molds are produced under 160g.

In normal (read: non-COVID) times, Photons, Waves, and Vanishes were all readily available in the low-to-mid 160s. Those were my driver molds for varying degrees of time, and I too prefer that weight range. Those are all kind of Speed 11/12 tweeners though. So perhaps not meeting your criteria for max distance.

I only have personal experience with Waves, and I bag 2 of them in the low 160's. One plasma and one cosmic neutron. I know I've seen Photons in light weights. Fission Photons I've seen get down to the 140's.

2krW9uz.jpg

OK, that's pretty sexy.

Status
Not open for further replies.