• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, was wondering if you could suggest the best putter from Axiom/MVP that fits the following criteria?

- Flat or puddle top

- Thin or thinner overall depth profile (I HATE frisbee feeling discs that are tall with huge wing lips like the Aviar, P2 or Pa-1)

- Is straight for most of the flight, but definitely hooks up left to fade near the last 1/4-1/3 of the flight (also can fly pretty well in most wind)

- Flies longer than your avg throwing putter (my Ion and Proxy go almost as far as my mids! They absolutely bomb if I need them too, and it's so easy to get that distance)

I currently have a Neutron Ion (stable with a baby finish) and Neutron Proxy (dead straight with no finish, or if thrown harder, a little bit understable) as my throwing putters as well as a stunningly beautiful Seppo Paju Pa-1. And the Pa-1 does a few things good, but misses out on a few other important ones. So I'm looking for another Axiom/MVP to go along with the Ion and Proxy to complete the set, haha.

I just LOVE how these gyro discs work for throwing putters. Not sure what it is, but as the disc speed increases, I don't really notice any difference between MVP brand discs and others. It's either just a great, avg or bad disc comparatively speaking. But once you go down to the mids and putters, the gyro technology really seems to outshine all other putters by quite a big margin! I literally can't throw a bad shot with my Ion or Proxy and now want to add the final piece of the puzzle for my throwing putters to my bag.

So I was right off the bat thinking Envy? Just not sure if it's flat top, flies far, and is thin enough for me? But would love to hear what you guys have to say? Thanks

Also, I know all the companies are struggling to get product out, but is there any aprox ETA on Envy or other Axiom disc restocks? There are slim pickings out there, and can't find any in a color, plastic or weight I want? Thanks

Hey everyone, was wondering if you could suggest the best putter from Axiom/MVP that fits the following criteria?

- Flat or puddle top

- Thin or thinner overall depth profile (I HATE frisbee feeling discs that are tall with huge wing lips like the Aviar, P2 or Pa-1)

- Is straight for most of the flight, but definitely hooks up left to fade near the last 1/4-1/3 of the flight (also can fly pretty well in most wind)

- Flies longer than your avg throwing putter (my Ion and Proxy go almost as far as my mids! They absolutely bomb if I need them too, and it's so easy to get that distance)

I currently have a Neutron Ion (stable with a baby finish) and Neutron Proxy (dead straight with no finish, or if thrown harder, a little bit understable) as my throwing putters as well as a stunningly beautiful Seppo Paju Pa-1. And the Pa-1 does a few things good, but misses out on a few other important ones. So I'm looking for another Axiom/MVP to go along with the Ion and Proxy to complete the set, haha.

I just LOVE how these gyro discs work for throwing putters. Not sure what it is, but as the disc speed increases, I don't really notice any difference between MVP brand discs and others. It's either just a great, avg or bad disc comparatively speaking. But once you go down to the mids and putters, the gyro technology really seems to outshine all other putters by quite a big margin! I literally can't throw a bad shot with my Ion or Proxy and now want to add the final piece of the puzzle for my throwing putters to my bag.

So I was right off the bat thinking Envy? Just not sure if it's flat top, flies far, and is thin enough for me? But would love to hear what you guys have to say? Thanks

Envy is a good bet, Atom is a little straighter (a slightly more OS Proxy with similar feel), or the Pilot which is a little deeper than the Envy but still much more shallow than an Aviar or Ion.

You may know this, but you can look up disc dimensions on the PDGA Approved Disc Golf Discs page (clicky)

Strictly in terms of dimensions:

Disc . . . Rim Depth . . . Height (cm)

Envy . . . 1.4 . . . 1.8
Atom . . . 1.4 . . . 1.9
Particle . . . 1.4 . . . 2.0
Entropy . . . 1.4 . . . 2.0
Anode . . . 1.4 . . . 2.1
Ohm . . . 1.5 . . . 1.9
Ion . . . 1.6 . . . 1.9

I also prefer shallow, flat-topped to puddle-topped putters and found the Envy quite comfortable. Flies great, too. Good luck!

You may know this, but you can look up disc dimensions on the PDGA Approved Disc Golf Discs page (clicky)

Strictly in terms of dimensions:

Disc . . . Rim Depth . . . Height (cm)

Envy . . . 1.4 . . . 1.8
Atom . . . 1.4 . . . 1.9
Particle . . . 1.4 . . . 2.0
Entropy . . . 1.4 . . . 2.0
Anode . . . 1.4 . . . 2.1
Ohm . . . 1.5 . . . 1.9
Ion . . . 1.6 . . . 1.9

I also prefer shallow, flat-topped to puddle-topped putters and found the Envy quite comfortable. Flies great, too. Good luck!

I'm asking, because those measurements aren't always correct. I've looked up discs on Infinite and then compare two discs I have, and sometimes they are WAY off base. For ex. I have a 750 plastic Prodigy F5, says it's 1.9mm tall with a 1.2mm depth rim. And I have LOTS of Discmania FD's. And they say they are 1.8mm tall with a 1.1mm depth rim. Yet why is my Prodigy F5 WAY thinner depth and a thinner lip than the FD's?

If I had to guess, my F5 is about 1.4-1.6mm deep and a lip of 1.1. And the FD's I have are 1.9-2mm deep with a lip of about 1.2 or so. MUCH more dome and height on the FD's (all of them) than the F5, yet Infinite SAYS the FD is thinner. But it's not. I've even put them on a table and looked and the F5 is noticeably thinner depth overall than the FD's.

So I don't trust Infinite's #'s they have. I'm sure it's not their fault though. Probably just whatever info the manufacturer gives them. And it's wrong a lot of the times. So that is why I'm asking people here, since they will have the actual discs and be able to tell me if it's thin, medium or deep :thmbup:

I'm asking, because those measurements aren't always correct.

Sure, understood. How a particular run of plastic comes out of the mold can vary from the approved specs, no doubt. And ultimately it matters how the disc feels in your hand, and how it flies for you.

But I have found the PDGA specs useful as a starting point when I am researching new putters or mids.

- Flat or puddle top

The Particle is OOP but Infinite has a good chunk of Neutron Soft Particles on the site. I think a lot of people would say that the Particle is close enough to the Envy that they are mostly interchangeable. If you didn't want to wait for Envies to come back in stock the Particle could be a good choice. Then when you need another one they feel basically the exact same as an Envy so you could just get an Envy next time. Or if you like it just stock up on Particles while Infinite has the inventory.

- Flat or puddle top

I've somehow never fondled an Envy yet.....

But I throw a Particle, and that fits the bill exactly for what your describing. Might wanna check on it's production status though.....I know my soft N was ooped, just can't remember if the whole mold was. Might have been.

Envy is likely your best bet. Especially for something decently available.

Particle indeed is OOP! Just wait for the Envy to restock (should be end of the month), should be exactly what you're looking for (for a throwing putter I would suggest Plasma or Eclipse 2.0 plastic)!

Any idea if the Hex is going to get made in Plasma too, or at least in Proton? The latter does get slippery when wet, but Neutron is just a bar of soap for me even when dry :gross:

I could use a replacement for my pair of Plasma Axis'. I hate throwing OOP discs because I notice I get too conservative with my shots due to that little voice in the back of my head going "just don't shank it into the lake you muppet, you can't replace this". :doh:
I do have my 2 old Eclipse/Proton Axis as backups/sacrificial lambs for my 2 Plasmas, which I use for the sketchier situations since they're less important to me after I got the plasmas, but something that's in production would certainly be nice.

I know people have recommended Matrix / Reactor as a replacement to the Axis, but neither is available in Plasma and while I could grab Matrix in Proton, it looks to have a bit too much fade for my taste based on reviews. :\

I could use a replacement for my pair of Plasma Axis'. I hate throwing OOP discs because I notice I get too conservative with my shots due to that little voice in the back of my head going "just don't shank it into the lake you muppet, you can't replace this". :doh:
I do have my 2 old Eclipse/Proton Axis as backups/sacrificial lambs for my 2 Plasmas, which I use for the sketchier situations since they're less important to me after I got the plasmas, but something that's in production would certainly be nice.

I know people have recommended Matrix / Reactor as a replacement to the Axis, but neither is available in Plasma and while I could grab Matrix in Proton, it looks to have a bit too much fade for my taste based on reviews. :\

Same boat here. Throw the heck outta a plaz Axis and I have no backups. My tentative plan is to replace it with an Electron Matrix (I already bag a proton). Thought process being the baseline should be less stable, and will wear into even less so.

Hex looks intriguing though too.

Seriously dude there's no decent replacement yet for axis.. It's a good disc, kinda like a beefy fast comet.. Or the nicest buzzz you ever laid your hands on with insane glide. I loved those things but went tangent for the control. Took the 20-30' distance drop happily.

A 165 ish relay is the closest disc I can think of.. Compared to a 176 axis. I haven't tried a matrix though, it's shape is wrong though! :D flight numbers look rightish.

Something about the axis rim shape just says business. I always found them fairly wind resistant too. I feel like the first few molds they tried were "aerodynamically superior" . Like they looked at something scientific and said yeah optimum shape! Ion, axis, volt...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.