• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So nobody has a recommendation on a slightly US max d bomber? Basically need something longer than the octane/mayhem that I can pair with my Dimensions.

Plasma Wave. If you want more stable, then a DD Trespass.

For now, I have given up on trying to find the perfect super wide-rimmed understable driver. The margin for error is just too thin (for me anyway) with discs any wider than the ones I mentioned. On a perfect throw, my longest disc is a Ballista. But if I don't give it quite enough hyzer it turns and burns, and if I give it too much it will hyzer out. That's the problem with flippy/fast stuff. And it's why, despite the *potential* for an extra 30' of distance I haven't bagged my Ballista since last summer.

I think there's a reason why a lot of Destroyer-throwing Innova players disc down in speed to a Wraith for less stable lines, rather than to a Tern or Shryke. Similar thought process.

For me (300-ish thrower, 157 gram weights) the difference was noticeable but not enough to keep both in the bag.

But I carry a fairly minimal bag with only 2 distance drivers.

do you know where the proton wave fits in?

I'd say a Tenacity for slightly US. The Wave is great, but it flips quite a bit. I found the Tenacity more controlable for the understable slot (since it's the same speed as an Octane).

I have lots of stuff that could fit but I looking gyro specific, I'd honestly throw a crank or hades in the slot otherwise.

Tesla is rated at 9/5-1/2. From what I hear, they are much more overstable than these numbers. Is this right? Are any of the plastics flying like these flight numbers?

Are there any other molds that fly similar to these numbers? Volt? I want to either keep the same speed or slightly drop the speed; I don't want to increase the speed. I like the CD2 flight but would love to find an MVP/Axiom/Streamline equivalent.

Thanks in advance guys

Tesla is rated at 9/5-1/2. From what I hear, they are much more overstable than these numbers. Is this right? Are any of the plastics flying like these flight numbers?

Are there any other molds that fly similar to these numbers? Volt? I want to either keep the same speed or slightly drop the speed; I don't want to increase the speed. I like the CD2 flight but would love to find an MVP/Axiom/Streamline equivalent.

Thanks in advance guys

Those are Fission Tesla numbers. Neutron has more hss and Plasma flies more like a 10 speed.

Plasma Volt 8.5, 5, -.5, 1.5... and I feel the greatest control driver ever as wind affects it so little.. I feel this may be what you are looking for.

TLDR; Run down of the other Volt plastics:

• Electon Volt also flys those numbers but will get blunted noses on hard tree hits. I carried them as water discs until all are at the bottom of a river/pond....guess I should restock.
  • Fission Volts have a little less glide and a little more fade.
  • Neutron, Proton Volts are more HSS and slightly less glide; a better Thunderbird.
  • Eclipse Volts I have seen lots of variation in both Dome and PLH but all overstable.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance guys

Teslas have taken my whole control driver slot in my bag. I normally bag 4 or 5 depending on the round, course, and conditions. As for the above flight numbers, the only thing that will give that to you off the shelf will be Fission Teslas. I don't find much high speed turn with newer Teslas.

Neutron Teslas -- for the most part they are pretty flat. Some of the PFN 150-class Neutron Teslas had a huge heartbeat dome, but they were an oddity. They like an 9/3.5/0/2. As they beat in, they start to gain some glide but not crazy amounts of glide. I have not thrown any FN Neutron Teslas so I am not sure about the current runs of soft gummy Neutron. These might have some more glide off the shelf. These remind me of a Thunderbird with a touch less glide but more control and forward finish rather than just a dump.

Proton Teslas -- these are also FAF for the most part. I have rarely seen one with a high shoulder but there are a few. They fly pretty similar to Neutron but tend to beat in a tick faster and gain that extra glide sooner. Max weight flies very similar to a beat in Firebird. Lighter weights and you can get closer to that -1 HSS off the shelf but still have good bite at the end. I bag a 172g FX Proton Teslas when they were adding some Plasma additive to Proton runs. A bit gummier and tackier than normal Proton. If you like them softer then look for slightly milky or plasma added to the Proton mix.

Plasma Teslas -- All the ones I have seen have been super board flat. I mean like super super flat. These actually might be a 3 glide. They are dumpy, have no turn, and are very Firebird like. They are almost like a Motion. In fact, I have a Plasma Teslas that is more OS than my beat in Motions. I will carry one if there is lots of headwind or if I know I need a quick flaring skip shot or if I loose my Resistor and need a utility disc.

Fission Tesla -- where to start. There is lots of variables with this plastic. PFN Teslas were either FAF or with a slight shoulder. The FAF ones are 0 HSS of the shelf but quickly gain that -1. They keep that for a long time. The domier and ones with a higher shoulder had that HSS right off the bat but never develop into flip machines. To me, they are like my OG Inertias -- a good -1 to -1.5 turn with a good +1 to +1.5 fade--great for shaping shots. Add to this difference in weights. 160g-170g+ tend to be the most stable and hold to the numbers above. Start going into the 150 class and below (lowest I have is a 136g) and you have to finesse your release angles and power. These are easier to flip but if you dial them in right you can get crazy wild flights from them that seem to bend around trees in the woods. FN Teslas all have a higher shoulder and fly a tick more stable and don't seem to get that -1 very quickly. The texture of the Fission is also gummer, slicker, and tackier. I like the PFN Fission for its matte finish and chalkier feel. I find the magic to be in the Fission Teslas. They can be harder to find and take a little to get to know them, but they are a solid disc that you can easily cycle or have differences within the mold to get different paths. I don't bag Inertias, Impulses, or Motions any longer since I can get all the same flights and more from the Teslas. Currently bag 3 Fissions Teslas PFN (156g, 163g, 169g), Proton FX Tesla 172g, and sometimes a 172g Neutron Teslas when I need some extra beef or just a backup.

Thanks in advance guys

Have you thrown one yet?

Well FWIW I got a 162 fission Tesla and I really fell in love with the mold, it fits my FH shot really well and gives me a stable BH disc as well. It is my longest FH disc, mild dome, sexy. Workable turn, fly it in a tight straight S often with reliable fade. I will even throw it out there that it's the "Envy of drivers" haha..

I got it because my buddy (72 yesterday!). Got a 145g fission Photon and went from being too "old" to throw the long holes to a distance monster.. It added 50' plus to his game and he's a Leopard/ Polecat kinda dude, style to spare. His Tesla is definitely different from mine but 17g will do that.

I got some 155 plasma Tesla and they are FAF and beefy enough for Moose, I'm having trouble slotting them into my bag for anything other than OH. Too much disc for me in a regular play..

That being said I think I'm going to grab a few more fission, one for my buddy Jim at 145g as a belated birthday present and probably a 155-160 for myself, see what a 5g drop does for me.

Last edited:
Upon further consideration and the time out to edit... if you haven't thrown a Volt, get a Volt. It is one of the best drivers they've ever made, like others have said the wind resistance is remarkable, in a very understated way. It's kind of one of the must buy and try MVP molds. Then again if you want one mold, multiple plastics that make it a different disc the Tesla has more options, especially lightweight Proton etc, the only Volt less than 170g is the fission.

Upon further consideration and the time out to edit... if you haven't thrown a Volt, get a Volt. It is one of the best drivers they've ever made, like others have said the wind resistance is remarkable, in a very understated way. It's kind of one of the must buy and try MVP molds. Then again if you want one mold, multiple plastics that make it a different disc the Tesla has more options, especially lightweight Proton etc, the only Volt less than 170g is the fission.

Plasma Volts went down to about 167... I have been throwing a 168 Plasma for years and El graciously sold me a back up, same color at 169.

I have had several Electon Stormtrooper Volts(water discs) @ 164, I think I saw a few 150 class Electron Volts as well, but currently, the lowest weights I am seeing are 165.

I have one Stormtrooper Electron Volt(167) left. I have been using it to learn how to use sharpies to do disc art. These are just doodles, but white Electron makes a wonder canvas.

I sanded the disc, before I started using the sharpies, to get rid of the stamp imprint after the acetone wipe. I learned that those micro scratches show up more after sharpie application. If one sands the disc, one needs to go down to a finishing wet sandpaper, about 2000 grit, to buff it out.

Live and learn

Attachments

• 1591458099571608982936.jpg
    1591458099571608982936.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
...Plasma Volt 8.5, 5, -.5, 1.5... and I feel the greatest control driver ever...
Thanks. I have a few Volts and I'm going to run with them for now instead of the Tesla. I'll get a few Teslas later this summer and audition the mold.

Teslas have taken my whole control driver slot ...
that's cool, this is exactly the type of info I was hoping to find. Thanks a million for the detailed post about Teslas! I'll use this info to get a batch of Teslas later this summer.

Have you thrown one yet?
No, I'm in the research phase :)

...if you haven't thrown a Volt, get a Volt.
I have a beat E Volt and some Proton Volts. Cosmic Volts should show up on Monday, maybe a couple other plastics too; I don't know what's in the box. This is payment for my Golddigger II stamp and I trusted Don to throw a bunch of stuff into the box that he knows I would like. He's always given me awesome stuff in the past so I'm stoked to see what he gives me this time!

TL;DR
Thanks for the feedback everybody, I'm going to run Volts as my primary driver this weekend. They will be bookended by Servo and Trace. I'll audition several Teslas in different plastics later this summer.

Yeah, the Ohm as pretty much changed my putter setup. It is unlike any other MVP disc for glide, even the Pilot. It has such good angle control. Have you tried the Electron Entropy yet?

No. I think I'm going to hold off on new plastic for a bit while I figure out the new stuff I have.

Well, local tourney here.. Yeah yeah, locals only I played with 3 people and 4.. It was the 40yr anniversary about a couple weeks late instead of 200+ golfers jut us. 40 people I think, flexible starts anyhow don't go off it was cool...

I haven't played the public course in 2 months it was a little rough.. Grabbed the one that looked like my yard envy that wasnt. I ran with Evil Dead Ash and the Plague Doctor in the end, ditched 4 discs after 18.. Had to dump the Comet for lack of familiarity and my Spin.

Final bag: 2 x Envy, Ohm. Fission tesla and two Relays. Shot lots better the second round.. Surprisingly nice setup... could have used the Crave..
All gyro bag,,,

Had trouble with the Ohm going too far, had to rely on it since I've thrown it a lot in last month.. Ran a bunch of aces, got one on the shortest hole.

Good round did some sweet stuff with the ohm.. Fresh 152 Relay was also a star.. Really enjoyed the 1-2 punch with the plasma Ash and soft N Plaguey.. Switched to the P Dr. For the tonals..

Oh and I ordered up a 174 SE Ohm and a 155 fission Tesla for me, and a 145 tesla for my buddy Jim as a late birthday present.. Backup his 147 for him.. Roll my $30 in ace money into $75 disc bill.. Haha I got to play with him today 72 yesterday, I forgot he got an electron Atom to putt with, gotta support his gyro. He also builds benches out here and cleans the outhouse, I think he also won stats and the "gold jacket". This year for the first time. Couldn't happen to a nicer dude, he also has perfect attendance for Sunday Church.. (dubs) The Rev. Jim we call him.

Last edited:
All this Tesla talk...:gross:

Tesla, Defy, and Virus = the Gyro Hall of Shame :p

Got an Ohm, Reacfor, Soft Electron Proxy and a Cell V2 in the mail :thmbup:

If I can fix my desktop this week I'll even shoot a video with the lot! Been a while.

Haha, I was wondering where you where.. So I stopped into your page this morning while toilet surfing and last post was 2019 haha. I have awakened Mike C!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts