• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah stop that will ya?! I got almost as many Marm-O envy's shelved as I do throwers.

(Well ok 20% of my stock is Marm-O's outta 25, 28, ok maybe 30 haha,, then those electrons hmmm.. 34....)

Well 100% of my neutrons are Marm-O-Set's :D
Wait except for the Halloween Widow haha..

Over-inflated sales to appease the collectors. :\

When we gonna see this plague. :gross:

Over-inflated sales to appease the collectors. :\

When we gonna see this plague. :gross:

Haha, more like it just kinda happens, a few proton here a few eclipse there before you know it ya got 30 of the things. I think, I gave/sold a couple plasmas. But yeah I got a problem.

If it makes you feel better my Marm-O's are Throw-O's it's just a couple don't know it yet.

For me it's kinda like Comets, I don't NEED another one but it's not like it goes to waste or bad on the shelf, I'd probably just buy something else I wouldn't throw because I didn't like it after a week.

Last edited:
Or it's fun to take a trip to my cellar of finery. Select the perfect vintage and flexyness...

Hmmm yes a neon yellow rim at dusk, mmmhmm that would pair well with an eclipse and a Z glow.... Fine choice sir! PFN with a man in the moon. Lovely!!! :D

Ok, I'm really into this gyro thing but I need something between a photon and a wave & I hoped you guys might have some suggestions.

I was waiting to step up to faster discs until I could throw the speed 9 stuff 340+, which I finally managed to do this season. The wave and the photon were my first higher speed discs.

My photons are still beefcakes though, I'm wondering if it's because they are so flat?

I'm considering trying an octane, or a mayhem, possibly both.

Ok, I'm really into this gyro thing but I need something between a photon and a wave & I hoped you guys might have some suggestions.

I was waiting to step up to faster discs until I could throw the speed 9 stuff 340+, which I finally managed to do this season. The wave and the photon were my first higher speed discs.

My photons are still beefcakes though, I'm wondering if it's because they are so flat?

Trace, not Gyro but it's in between.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mayhem is really the Gyro that's in between. But my beat in Fission Photon is starting to get less beefy.

How far are you getting a wave, and which plastic? I've found that the Cosmic Neutron Wave is far less flippy than the plasma I also bag. To me, that was the stability step I needed.

I agree tho, that seems to be a common hole in the gyro line. One that many of us seem to be trying to fill.

What distance should I be getting out of volts? I've been playing since June, and only started throwing RHBH in August or September (before then I only threw flicks). I also was throwing drivers that were too fast for me until my buddy talked me into discing down for a little bit. So, I'm currently not throwing anything faster than 9 speed. The Volt has become one of my favorite drivers. I started with a Proton, then got a Fission, and just got a Plasma a couple of days ago, so I'm sitting at three of them, ha. I used the Fission more, only busting out the Proton for headwinds, but I think the Plasma is going to be come my new main one.

Anyway, I threw my Fission Volt (157g) today on a hole at my neighborhood course that plays as an island and anything outside the island is OB. If you land OB you go to a drop zone at the near tip of the island that is ~250' from the teepad. I threw maybe the best tee off I've ever thrown and landed right on the drop zone. This was the first time I have ever made it onto the island off the tee successfully, so it feels like a big accomplishment and a milestone in my game. Udisc clocked my throw at 243'. I've made longer drives with faster discs, but getting much further than 200' at all has been rare up to this point. I've been meticulously practicing my driving form though and am making noticeable improvements.

So, I'm wondering, when should I disc up? I first disc'd down about two weeks ago and was going to push it for at least a full month while I hone in my form before bringing back in my faster drivers. I figure my Volt distance is a pretty good metric. So when I pure my shot I can get my Fission ~240-250'. When am I getting everything out of the Volt? 300'? 350'? I doubt I'll be pushing 400' any time soon. Just trying to figure out when to bring some of my faster drivers back into the mix.

If the photon is absolutely board flat and is cosmic neutron then it likely is one of the weird run that is oddly overstable. If so, I'll take it/them and trade you one (or more) of my less overstable photons. :D

A fission photon is a good in between, and I've found fission waves to be fairly stable out to 425-450.

So, I'm wondering, when should I disc up? I first disc'd down about two weeks ago and was going to push it for at least a full month while I hone in my form before bringing back in my faster drivers. I figure my Volt distance is a pretty good metric. So when I pure my shot I can get my Fission ~240-250'. When am I getting everything out of the Volt? 300'? 350'? I doubt I'll be pushing 400' any time soon. Just trying to figure out when to bring some of my faster drivers back into the mix.

Hey glad you are digging the Volt! It's a great mold, and with three to practice with that's awesome! I was just throwing a couple in my yard yesterday actually trying to decide which one to give to a young guy in our league...

I'd keep throwing those Volts for awhile, you have immediately noticed the advantage of a "slower" disc. It doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't fly as far, the speed rating is relative to your armspeed more than the distance it could conceivably get.

I.E. if you look at the Tesla I think it's got similar ratings to the Volt but a higher speed which means it flies like a Volt for someone that throws harder, but if you pick one up it would be a much more stable disc and likely would not remind you of a volt at all.

I can't tell you when to disc up, but you are just getting your Volt up to speed at 220'. My personal "Discing Down Adventure" was an Ion and a Comet for 4+ months, I only took a driver for Sunday Doubles and it was an XL. I can also throw a Comet 250' and my putters 175'... but I'm getting broken/old so my drives are 300' on flat and the fastest I can manage is a speed 11 Wave 164g max, and I can just get my 172 first run volt up to speed.

As far as the missing link between the Wave etc it goes from understable on...

Plasma Wave, Cosmic Wave, Fission Photon, Proton Photon (I hear), then Plasma and Neutron.
If you throw a 165 Wave.. Drop 5-7g and step up, Get a 157-160 fission photon.

Last edited:
What distance should I be getting out of volts? I've been playing since June, and only started throwing RHBH in August or September (before then I only threw flicks). I also was throwing drivers that were too fast for me until my buddy talked me into discing down for a little bit. So, I'm currently not throwing anything faster than 9 speed. The Volt has become one of my favorite drivers. I started with a Proton, then got a Fission, and just got a Plasma a couple of days ago, so I'm sitting at three of them, ha. I used the Fission more, only busting out the Proton for headwinds, but I think the Plasma is going to be come my new main one.

Anyway, I threw my Fission Volt (157g) today on a hole at my neighborhood course that plays as an island and anything outside the island is OB. If you land OB you go to a drop zone at the near tip of the island that is ~250' from the teepad. I threw maybe the best tee off I've ever thrown and landed right on the drop zone. This was the first time I have ever made it onto the island off the tee successfully, so it feels like a big accomplishment and a milestone in my game. Udisc clocked my throw at 243'. I've made longer drives with faster discs, but getting much further than 200' at all has been rare up to this point. I've been meticulously practicing my driving form though and am making noticeable improvements.

The Volt is a workhorse disc and with the variations in plastics and runs you can get a truly broad range of shots. As for what distance, I think that is all relative to the individual and circumstances. I can get Volts out to 350 but consistently and accurately I range them in the 275-300 range. While I still have a bunch of Volts I have switched to the Tesla because it is similar and prefer the feel in my hand. While the Volt has a touch more glide than the Tesla, I feel I can control the Tesla a bit more. Personally I carry a couple of Fission Teslas in the 160s, one in the 140s for turnovers, and a max weight FX FAF Proton. I can get the full spectrum from US to OS shots. The other reason I switched is that the Volt tends to have a bit of a higher shoulder and I prefer the feel of the Tesla as the point of release. That being said, the Volt has a special place in my collection and I still have quite a few. I really like my FRs, they are a magical disc that is hard to replicate. The closest in the Volt lineup is the Electron Volts that have that same magical turn as the FRs but like most baseline discs, lose that fairly quickly. If find that the Fission Volts are a bit more on the OS side when fresh (not as beefy as the newer Cosmic Volts which can be beefcakes) but beat into a great disc.

What distance should I be getting out of volts?

So, I'm wondering, when should I disc up? ...So when I pure my shot I can get my Fission ~240-250'. When am I getting everything out of the Volt? 300'? 350'? I doubt I'll be pushing 400' any time soon. Just trying to figure out when to bring some of my faster drivers back into the mix.

When I disc'd down after only throwing tomahawks and forehands and, thus, injuring my shoulder I went to a wizard and a buzz for several months. I wanted to get the putters close to 250, mids close to 300, and a driver like the teebird over 300. The main reason people say to disc down is because it encourages good form that applies as you throw faster discs. It's not to say you can't accomplish the same thing with Volts being your max. And also, not knowing your age it's hard to say what the 'ideal' solution would be.

I always recommend discing down because i think it is the quickest way to help you in the long run but it also can be frustrating because those speed 11+ discs are tempting. I would say just do whatever feels right and brings you the most enjoyment. For me--holes in the 240-250 range are going to be a putter or midrange so long as they are relatively flat. Volts are only for 320+ for me. I disc'd down for the first time in the fall of 2010. This year I bought my first ever disc over speed 9. That isn't to say I couldn't have done it sooner, I definitely had some years where I didn't play much at all. But most of the courses I played I was able to drive to teh basket on 14-16 of the 18 holes with speed 9 or less.

Oh man so sort of gyro and discing down related, a kid with a developing arm went through my stash on Sunday, left with my gold line 167 Bolt (that I used to love), my second FR force that was partially broken in, and a fresh fr glow nuke with a dubs stamp as well as an esp surge. Kid pretty much lifted my old bag stable backups. I was feeling bad cuz he was looking for a straight to fade driver....

I was going to give him my beefy 166 proton crave, anyhow he calls me up today and wants the other glow nuke (3rd backup) and another Surge, it's his favourite disc ever and longest flying.. I don't know if I will give up my shaky z 2008 surge since I was holding it as tradebait. I think the kid should work some fairways.

Should I give him my beefy 175+ fr volt or the 166 proton Crave? Any Nuke/ Surge comparisons there?

What's the least stable Trace? I have a Plasma and was told its moderately stable for a Trace.

Haha, more like it just kinda happens, a few proton here a few eclipse there before you know it ya got 30 of the things. I think, I gave/sold a couple plasmas. But yeah I got a problem.

If it makes you feel better my Marm-O's are Throw-O's it's just a couple don't know it yet.

For me it's kinda like Comets, I don't NEED another one but it's not like it goes to waste or bad on the shelf, I'd probably just buy something else I wouldn't throw because I didn't like it after a week.

I've got a few Z Wildcats that are from the mid-2000s. I don't throw them so they've been sitting around. They've gotten all cloudy and gross to the touch. I think the plastic does degrade - or at least, Z plastic did.

People don't like hearing it - but the Volt is too fast for you. Not due to it's speed requirement, but due to larger form issues in your drive. You're not properly transfering your weight and correctly whipping the disc. I'm sure you've got nose angle issues.

You need to "actually" disc down. I rarely ever throw a driver. Midrange / Putter. That's my primary game. My mids are good for 300-350'. My Putters up to 250-300' depending on conditions. You need to work on your form with a good stable-ish putter and mid. I like the Atom and Matrix. Proxy and Reactor would be good. Ohm. Avoid the Envy cause it will hide for flaws.

I've got a buddy who's just learning and he keeps reaching for a Leopard3. I keep telling him Midrange / Putter - but he keeps pulling that ---- Leopard3. Nearly 2 years in, still can't touch my putter distance.

This is so dull. No new discs. No stock of old discs. Can't buy and try anything. :(

I hear ya there, I pulled out my Volts again, I'm just enjoying them even at full weight. Yeah I haven't done much disc shopping lately but stock is still decent for some things at some of my Canadian retailers and I grabbed most of what I've wanted lately. My impulse buying selection is limited. Next ones probably a Drift.

Throwing the heck out of those fission waves.. Got a massive FH drive with my 162 fission wave tonight. About 8' short of an ace on a flex and fade line.

Status
Not open for further replies.