• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question about fission and the flight plates.

I've heard that there are two different flight plates for something around 160g and above and 159g and below. Is that true?

I want to try a lighter weight Wave in fission and interested in getting in the mid 150s just to see. I'm afraid it will just become a roller but people keep saying that it wont.

For reference Im throwing a max weight Thrasher 330-350, 162g wraith similar, 165g Vanish that is a throller with anything but a tail wind, but can bomb in the open without wind.

I also really want to try a plasma Trace. For the same reasons, try out a Wraith replacement and give MVP my money. For both the light weight Wave and the Trace I saw an MVP video not long ago where the media guy was talking about how both are bombers for us normal 40+ year olds.
I heard the same, but that might have been early on. In a newsletter it sounds like it's just 1 plate for all the fission weights.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Question about fission and the flight plates.

I've heard that there are two different flight plates for something around 160g and above and 159g and below. Is that true?

I want to try a lighter weight Wave in fission and interested in getting in the mid 150s just to see. I'm afraid it will just become a roller but people keep saying that it wont.

For reference Im throwing a max weight Thrasher 330-350, 162g wraith similar, 165g Vanish that is a throller with anything but a tail wind, but can bomb in the open without wind.

I also really want to try a plasma Trace. For the same reasons, try out a Wraith replacement and give MVP my money. For both the light weight Wave and the Trace I saw an MVP video not long ago where the media guy was talking about how both are bombers for us normal 40+ year olds.

If I remember right it's one flight plate for less than and up to 167g ish and one flight plate for heavier. That said I don't know there's a 3rd fourth 145's.

How old is the vanish run? I hear new ones are beefier.

I'd go for a 165fission or a 155-165 neutron wave. The neutron is beefier. Kinda depends if you are throllering it then you need weight. If it's not fading enough sometimes the light ones fade more but they are trickier on the HSS. You should maybe try a 170g + wave in fission.

Typically old guys throw smoother butare losing armspeed.

If it's any help:
My go to driver is a 164 fission wave. I get it 350'-370 on golf lines. It doesn't really turn and burn unless I really crank it over. I threw a 166 plasma previously and that one turned easier. That one never really burned either, but would end up wayyyy right sometimes.

I have a 149 fission wave sitting here that will hopefully see airtime next weekend. I'm curious how that's gonna fly.

If I remember right it's one flight plate for less than and up to 167g ish and one flight plate for heavier. That said I don't know there's a 3rd fourth 145's.

How old is the vanish run? I hear new ones are beefier.

I'd go for a 165fission or a 155-165 neutron wave. The neutron is beefier. Kinda depends if you are throllering it then you need weight. If it's not fading enough sometimes the light ones fade more but they are trickier on the HSS. You should maybe try a 170g + wave in fission.

Typically old guys throw smoother but are losing armspeed.

OK I will try low 160s for fission wave and see. Any difference between SE or not with the new ones?

The vanish I got in the used bin but it looked pretty new when I got it. Not sure the run. I throw it on a big hyzer usually unless its tail wind and there is a lot of room to the right.

I want to try out the fission technology and it seems like a good chance to also get some distance, or maybe I wont have to go 'full send' and can still get out to 300+ with ease, that would be nice.

I just started playing disc golf a couple years ago but I throw pretty smooth. Actually looking at my throw on video it seems like it should go a lot farther! :doh::doh:

If it's any help:
My go to driver is a 164 fission wave. I get it 350'-370 on golf lines. It doesn't really turn and burn unless I really crank it over. I threw a 166 plasma previously and that one turned easier. That one never really burned either, but would end up wayyyy right sometimes.

I have a 149 fission wave sitting here that will hopefully see airtime next weekend. I'm curious how that's gonna fly.

Sweet I will order a couple in the low 160s and see what happens! Maybe a 160 and a 165 or something. I am eager to try a 155 though, just to see what a 150s disc flies like if it doesnt turn and burn.

One problem not addressed - I play near Lake Michigan and its WINDY, like blow your hat off.

So I have another set of discs for that - less beat in 170g wraith and Wraths get thrown a lot in the wind.

I had a tournament last year with 35 mph winds and actually had to throw up a hill, headwind caught the disc at the lip and it actually ended up behind me. I've gotten a lot better since then, but man.

Best description I read of a Wave is that it rides a knife-edge of stability, kind of like a Leopard. Once the Wave turns over it ain't coming back, but if you start out with a little hyzer the Wave can hold a hyzer-flip-to-slight-turn-to-baby-fade line as far as I can throw.

Caveat: I throw a little shorter than you do. FWIW I find a 157 Fission Wave a bit less understable than a similar weight Neutron. YMMV, but Wave/Thrasher should not be throwlers absent a roaring headwind.

Last edited:
Best description I read of a Wave is that it rides a knife-edge of stability, kind of like a Leopard. Once the Wave turns over it ain't coming back, but if you start out with a little hyzer the Wave can hold a hyzer-flip-to-slight-turn-to-baby-fade line as far as I can throw.

Well, this is weird. I went out this morning and tossed some Orbitals, Waves and Vanishes in the field.

The Waves do go a long way, but they are very finicky. I threw a 153 Fission and two 163 Fissions. I sort of liked them, but felt I couldn't trust them. The feel strange and dome-y in my hands.

The Orbitals are just weird. Great when you get them right, but so easy to turn over.

Vanishes ... loved them. My new Neutron ones were trustworthy and straight to overstable. I had one I picked up used and it's very flippy but a nice roller and downwind disc. I also have a new Proton and that's a little bit magical. Need to work some more with it, but it could be "the one".

As usual I'm a 56YO player with 3 years experience. I throw about 300-350.

I took the waves out for exactly those reasons, it always felt like the were on a knife's edge. After listening to MVP Steve's interview with Trevor I decided to order two fission photons, one at 156g and the other at 170g. I'm excited to go try those out.

so finally lost my final Mantis (hit the river, and I never learned to swim so f**k that noise. If/when Darwinism claims me, it wont be while trying to get a damn frisbee.)

seeing as how they're too hard to find and replace, what's the gyro equal to a true workhorse fairway driver that drifts right, and finishes with a gentle fade left when released flat, but can also hold hyzer/anny when put on those lines?

I've been trying out 2 proton Insanities, and I like them, but its just not the same. they have too much of that 'knifes edge' of stability I've been reading y'all post about, so I'm not too confident about wooded shots with them, although on more open shots they're straight deadly, I live in Ohio, so wooded courses are my ****, and I'm dying without a mantis to rely on out here.

so finally lost my final Mantis (hit the river, and I never learned to swim so f**k that noise. If/when Darwinism claims me, it wont be while trying to get a damn frisbee.)

seeing as how they're too hard to find and replace, what's the gyro equal to a true workhorse fairway driver that drifts right, and finishes with a gentle fade left when released flat, but can also hold hyzer/anny when put on those lines?

I've been trying out 2 proton Insanities, and I like them, but its just not the same. they have too much of that 'knifes edge' of stability I've been reading y'all post about, so I'm not too confident about wooded shots with them, although on more open shots they're straight deadly, I live in Ohio, so wooded courses are my ****, and I'm dying without a mantis to rely on out here.

The new craves seem to fit that description. Decent wiggle with still a fade at the end. Maybe a relay depending on your power level. Those will turn easier and probably not fade as much. Definitely not a turn and burn flippy driver though.

Well if you're getting the insanity to work out in the open, the inertia is a touch beefier. They are very similar discs. Crave was a good suggestion too.

I think if you are finding the insanity a little touchy relay isn't what you want.

I haven't thrown a mantis

Since the new resistor does not appear to be as beefy as it once was, and since I thought I wanted something faster anyway... Is a cosmic neutron volt with almost a pop top going to be beefy? The latest shipment at the local shop is surprisingly domey...

Crave/Servo over 170 is a good, slower option. Trickier at 9. I think the Inertia's probably the one, although a cosmic neutron Insanity might stiffen up just enough. Not gyro, but the Streamline Lift is a really comfortable disc to throw as well.

Since the new resistor does not appear to be as beefy as it once was, and since I thought I wanted something faster anyway... Is a cosmic neutron volt with almost a pop top going to be beefy? The latest shipment at the local shop is surprisingly domey...

Domey Volts seem to be the beefy ones in any plastic. I prefer Plasma as they all seem to come out with a bit taller shoulder but a flat top. They start with expected beef but break in nicely a little quicker than the Neutron or Proton variants and have a decent glide. My domey cosmic neutron and Protons are insanely overstable.

Ordered a couple Wraths to audition as Thunderbird backups (since I keep losing my good thunderbirds and replacements are hard to find)

Ordered a couple Wraths to audition as Thunderbird backups (since I keep losing my good thunderbirds and replacements are hard to find)

Oh man I think you're really gonna like them if you are coming to them based on the thunderbird. You'll have to report back, I only recently switched to them but they are everything I wanted my thunderbird to be

Took everyone's advice and went shopping for some Craves.

Ended up buying a Neutron Wave to complement my Fission and a Fission Photon to complement my C Neutron.

Caveat: I throw a little shorter than you do. FWIW I find a 157 Fission Wave a bit less understable than a similar weight Neutron. YMMV, but Wave/Thrasher should not be throwlers absent a roaring headwind.

I beefed up to a Proton Wave to eliminate the "knifes edge" flight. I was carrying 165 Neutrons and as my spin slowed, the disc would turn out instead of fade. I always felt like there was a fine line between a good and bad shot. I actually disced down to Inertia thinking it was me- but nah - it's the disc. I never feel like the Proton is gonna turn over - I get a nice straight flight right out to my max distance (roughly 400'). At this point, if it ain't proton, I ain't buying it. I do not bond with MVPs other plastics.

Status
Not open for further replies.