• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Maybe more like a jelly doughnut. Ran the disc in a certain plastic, cut the flight plate out, then ran a different plastic in the mold to fill in the flight plate.

From my understanding the Ion is going to be an understable putter correct? From what I read on the original thread it appears that way to me.

(bump)

tigel said:
From my understanding the Ion is going to be an understable putter correct? From what I read on the original thread it appears that way to me.

(bump)

That is correct :)

Frank Delicious said:
So how is the grip on them?

The grip is very similar to that of Z or Champion plastic. It may even be the same plastic.

a9tyxk.jpg

Nice cross-section, I was wondering of the two parts keyed into each other. I'd definitely like to give this disc a toss.

2ih8kg4.jpg

My Ions just came in the mail today. I must say, these feel amazing in the hand. The Rim depth feels like a midrange, which I like a lot (small). The flight plate feels like a gummy champion or opto plastic. These putters are FLAT as can be, very slick design. Grip wise, it's not slick at all :lol: I did a few indoor putts and was able to firmly hold the ions just fine. I'm curious what rain/moisture will do to the plastic.

The outer wing plastic (the red part) feels super soft! I really think it will hold on to chains just fine. I can almost sink in my finger nail on this plastic. It has enough give to feel soft, but by no means don't think it's not durable.

I'm actually out the door here in a bit to go see what these suckers do.

First impressions wise, these discs feel/look great and have huge potential.

Mad Scientist said:
Nice cross-section, I was wondering of the two parts keyed into each other. I'd definitely like to give this disc a toss.

The plastics are fused together. In fact, you can see some of the red bleed into the blue in the cross section.

tigel said:
My Ions just came in the mail today. I must say, these feel amazing in the hand. The Rim depth feels like a midrange, which I like a lot (small). The flight plate feels like a gummy champion or opto plastic. These putters are FLAT as can be, very slick design. Grip wise, it's not slick at all :lol: I did a few indoor putts and was able to firmly hold the ions just fine. I'm curious what rain/moisture will do to the plastic.

The outer wing plastic (the red part) feels super soft! I really think it will hold on to chains just fine. I can almost sink in my finger nail on this plastic. It has enough give to feel soft, but by no means don't think it's not durable.

I'm actually out the door here in a bit to go see what these suckers do.

First impressions wise, these discs feel/look great and have huge potential.

Thank you very much for the review; It's nice to have input from a consumer.

I'm glad you like it :)

Well I was only able to get about 30 solid minutes of putting in. I'd say maybe 50 putt max, plus upshots/putts at a 9 hole course.

Off the tee: The first couple times I threw the Ion off the tee it didn't fly very well. The first two times I tried a 3 finger power grip and from my other discs, I really don't like this grip. The next two times and beyond I used a 4 finger power grip. Which I'm most successful at. The first time I used the 4 finger power grip it was on a 300ft hole going some what downhill, with no clearance on top because of trees, very wide though. At around 200ft the disc just fell. It didn't glide, it didn't turn, it just fell right down.

As I got used to the feel of the disc it got so much better. By hole 4(180ft), I parked both ions and actually almost aced with a bullet. Holes 5-6 were all open and 300+ft. I couldn't quite get the ion to go further than my midranges, but I could tell the ion held whatever line I put it on. I slipped when trying a hyzer flip and the disc just kept a hyzer line turning left. I even tried a couple anhyzer lines and it kept those lines as well.

my furthest distance I got was maybe 300ft with an S curve line. I know you advertise this being an understable disc, and I agree with that. I just don't want people to think its flippy, because it's not. It came back for me 9/10. Even if I threw it like my midranges it came back. If I put 100%, of course it flipped but not nearly as extreme as my aviars did.

Upshot/approach: I only got to experience 3-4 x2(2 discs at each hole) approach throws since this course was so small. I'll just say the Ion kept its line the whole way. I was really impressed by it inside 100ft. I did two jump putts and actually came close to hitting metal. I'm a terrible jump putter so that's good for me!

Putting: After a quick round I stayed at hole 9 and did some 360 drills for a bit. It was getting ready to rain and it was already cold so I kind of hurried. I didn't bring a jacket warm enough for that weather. Anyways, I won't go on to say "omg I made every putt, this putter is amazing!" because I didn't. I'm actually a terrible putter outside 25ft. Inside, I was making 90% or so. The grip of the putter was great, no slips at all. It actually felt so much better than my aviars. One thing that was odd, and since I only got hardly any putts in, take this with a grain of salt. When the wind was to my back, it felt like a normal putt, maybe some added push, but nothing new. When I was putting through a head wind the disc cut through it like scissors. From 30-50 putts I will say this putter did better in a headwind than in a tailwind. Extremely weird to see happening but it did. Again, the sample of data is too small to say for sure this is true, so who knows. All I know is I wasn't worried about what my disc was going to do in a head wind what so ever. It flew perfectly in to basket.

My biggest compliment would be these putters hold on to chain like it's no ones business. I swear it was like glue as soon as it hit chains. I actually noticed the chains popping up and folding into the disc, which I never really noticed with my dx aviars. So that rubbery/soft red plastic on the rim is AMAZING. A+

That's all for now. I hope to see some more reviews from better educated players. I by no means experienced enough to get a proper, well deserved review. haha.

Tigel, please clarify what you mean by the rim depth being like a midrange. I know you throw the Mako and the Core, which one is it more like. If I remember correctly the Mako has a deeper rim than the Core. I really like shallow rim putters so I'm really interested in hearing more.

Are you also saying it doesn't glide well? Or that when it loses speed it just falls flat?

Jeronimo said:
Tigel, please clarify what you mean by the rim depth being like a midrange. I know you throw the Mako and the Core, which one is it more like. If I remember correctly the Mako has a deeper rim than the Core. I really like shallow rim putters so I'm really interested in hearing more.

Are you also saying it doesn't glide well? Or that when it loses speed it just falls flat?

Comparing the core, mako and ion side by side I'd say the Ion is closer to the mako than the core. Either way the difference between the core and mako rim depth is only a milimeter or two max.

Oops! I forgot the clarify after hole 4+ the disc didn't just drop like it did before. It's hard for me to tell what is considered good when it comes to gliding so I'm not one to fully judge. I can say it glided like any other putter/midrange I've thrown once I got the feel for it. I have a feeling the glide isn't all that high though. Again, its really hard for me to measure glide. I didn't want to not say anything that happened just to make the review pure and accurate. For all I know those first couple throws that just dropped down might never happen again.

BCR-9er said:
Mad Scientist said:
Nice cross-section, I was wondering if the two parts keyed into each other. I'd definitely like to give this disc a toss.

The plastics are fused together. In fact, you can see some of the red bleed into the blue in the cross section.

I figured as much, I was just wondering if the edge of the core was smooth, or if there was some sort of channel for the rim plastic to form around.

After a few more days of testing I've come to a few more points.

There isn't much fade that I'm seeing. If I throw a clean release at about 10ft above the ground it will drop by 150-200ft max. If I throw the same with a tail wind and maybe a bit down hill, this sucker will go nearly 300. However, I think I'm liking the ION more for touch-up shots and putting. Off the tee I'm not very successful distance wise.

I'm curious what a max weight Ion would do. Mine is 166 and it's my lightest disc I've ever owned. So I'm still trying to learn how to throw a light disc. I wonder if a 180g would help much for off the tee stuff? (I'm not sure what factors are involved when talking about weight.. so just a thought)

The Ion feels like a slower Mako. It flies STRAIGHT and just glides perfectly. There isn't much LSS I think. It also holds lines well. I've been going for my Ion more than my midranges in the 1-150ft range. Which I think is a good thing. That range this disc is deadly, anything more I'm not too successful and would rather throw my midranges. Which again, isn't a bad thing. I think this is a true putter. If a putter isn't working well between 1-150ft range, somethings wrong.

Like i've said I'm a terrible putter (form wise) but I'm actually doing well with this disc. It feels perfect to the hand, nice and slim. Enough grip to where I don't have to worry about slips. I'm getting better and better at jump putts 40-100ft out. I haven't made one yet, but I've hit chains, and generally gotten close to get excited.

I don't think the ion will be for the players who want a putter to throw off the tee. I was assuming this would be the case before I even recieved these since the'yre understable. However, everything but off the tee, this disc is extremely successful. Just from the three days I've had it, I think it's staying in my bag.