• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you mean exactly when you say different tooling? can you give me a good deep understanding of this? Thanks, because i hear people use this term for other discs and i don't understand what they are saying..

I just thought of something. Maybe the reason they're taking so long coming out with the Axis, Vector, and Volt in Neutron plastic is because they want to make it stiffer than the putter's neutron plastic. Sorry if someone already posted this but it was kind of an epiphany for me.

I hope this is the case. A slightly more stiff driver is what i would want, compared to the putters in neutron which are softer than the medium proton plastics.

well if a "different mold piece" is used, how can you call that the same disc, unless the mold is 100% identical to the other one?

They rarely are identical. That is the reason people even talk about toolings, ya dig? New pdga approval is not necessary for mold repairs, but it is for new discs with new names.

They rarely are identical. That is the reason people even talk about toolings, ya dig? New pdga approval is not necessary for mold repairs, but it is for new discs with new names.
Yep, it's that silly. You can even make a new disc and keep the old name without having to reapprove it, to an extent.

I hope this is the case. A slightly more stiff driver is what i would want, compared to the putters in neutron which are softer than the medium proton plastics.

The proto neutron Volts I threw felt stiffer than the neutron Ions/Anodes.

Couldn't say but I've become a bit obsessed with my pink and yellow testers. Ever since I switched to MVP putters over a year ago I've been using nothing but softs for putts but somehow these neutrons have won me over for a putting putter. They just feel so nice and I feel like no matter what kind of throw I'm doing...fh drive, bh drive or putt...I get such a clean release. Not sure why since neutron doesn't feel a world different than proton but either way I'm getting results.

It's the same mold without the "tooling" aka the textured bottom and the lettering (Maple Valley Plastics).

Having a hard time following your post, I dont think "tooling" means what you are using it for. If there was a textured bottom as described, wouldn't that be the result of the "tooling marks" left behind?

Tools are used to make the molds, the molds are then used to make the discs. If you leave tooling marks behind on the master mold, it will result in a textured or gritty surface on the product (disc) from the tool imperfections.

If you switch up tools, or tooling techniques, then you can clean up the mold. Better, newer tools will have better results when making the mold. So while the mold remains generally the same shape, it can have some minor differences based on improved tooling/machining of the mold. So if they got rid of the tooling marks on the mold surface, they would have a smoother finish on the molded disc.

Basically I think you meant to use "tooling marks", as there are no tools in molds.

Having a hard time following your post, I dont think "tooling" means what you are using it for. If there was a textured bottom as described, wouldn't that be the result of the "tooling marks" left behind?

Tools are used to make the molds, the molds are then used to make the discs. If you leave tooling marks behind on the master mold, it will result in a textured or gritty surface on the product (disc) from the tool imperfections.

If you switch up tools, or tooling techniques, then you can clean up the mold. Better, newer tools will have better results when making the mold. So while the mold remains generally the same shape, it can have some minor differences based on improved tooling/machining of the mold. So if they got rid of the tooling marks on the mold surface, they would have a smoother finish on the molded disc.

Basically I think you meant to use "tooling marks", as there are no tools in molds.
Tooling is made up lingo by disc golfers and for disc golfers. It is used to describe marks, words, or other symbols on the bottom of discs.

Still interested in some data that supports all the textured opaque ions were done during one run. If that was not the case than 3rd runs would also be textured.

I've seen blue opaque ions that were textured. I thought the opaque blues with the current logo were third runs?

Actually, as it pertains to discs (and whether or not it's semantically correct), the term "tooling" describes any form of relief (lettering, and in this case a raised circle) on the bottom of discs. Since the raised words/labels/etc. are "tooled" into the mold, they're described as the "tooling" on the disc.

In the discussion on the 2nd runs, the bottom mold was "tooled" (or inscribed) with a double-level and texturing. In subsequent runs (batches/groups/whatever term was settled upon earlier), that tooling on the bottom mold was changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts