• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can put an axis out 320 on a rope, I have seen them ripped up to 450, with enough height any disc can go far. I think associating distance with a disc is very subjective, it's in how you use it on the course. I prefer not to throw as hard as I can and have smooth controlled release. While I can put the axis out that far, I prefer to use a fairway if I can on the course, and use the axis under 300.

I've hit the basket on #8 at my home course with an eclipse axis. 380' or so hole. (shorter position)

I have a beat eclipse axis in my bag that is really fun to throw, zero fade on shots in the 200-300' range and holds a beautiful anny.

I can put an axis out 320 on a rope, I have seen them ripped up to 450, with enough height any disc can go far. I think associating distance with a disc is very subjective, it's in how you use it on the course. I prefer not to throw as hard as I can and have smooth controlled release. While I can put the axis out that far, I prefer to use a fairway if I can on the course, and use the axis under 300.

I'm the opposite. If I'm not 90%+ my accuracy isn't as good. If I club up I usually still throw it on the same line I would with a lesser disc, and it fades out way too early and left.

PS. Can't wait till I can make it back down to Madtown Glass!

Yeah if you give the axis air it booms. The neutrons have a great late fade. I was throwing long turnovers out to 400 in calm conditions. It would hold a long turnover then fade back out the last 50ft. It held flat shots out to 375 pretty much any time I needed it. And then did the same on hyzers. To me the axis has the forward carry of a roc with the out of the box control of the QMS. That makes its very special midrange, in rarified air

I liked the Axis a lot, but would need to see it in the mid-160s before I would buy one.

I played an Ice Bowl this weekend. A high percentage of entrants were old guys like me, and many were throwing 150 drivers. It is really difficult to have a consistent throw if your midrange weighs 25 - 30 grams more than your drivers.

I understand that there may be manufacturing issues in expanding the weight range, but I'll say it again - MVP is missing a big part of the market by not producing lighter discs.

/broken record

I understand that there may be manufacturing issues in expanding the weight range, but I'll say it again - MVP is missing a big part of the market by not producing lighter discs.

It's the consistency that's the problem. I'd be willing to bet that MVP has run light midranges, and drivers. But, they didn't mold up to the consistency that Brad, and Chad want.

After nearly two years since the Vector was released, I'm starting to think that light discs from MVP just aren't going to happen.

Haha don't let Plex make you think those tactics work :)

Not sure what you mean? hehe :popcorn:

I know that EVERY core in the mid-range class are the exact same core, and the fairway cores, putter cores.. etc all the same cores in each class

Meaning, they all weigh the exact same (Give or take a gram)

What this means, is that the weight difference comes from the overmold.

A lighter MVP disc will have less weight in the overmold, which means less gyro, which is why lighter Volts fade more in the end, because the gyro isnt fighting the fade as hard :)

And obviously, a heavy MVP disc will have more weight in the gyro tech over-mold and it will resist turn/fade more.

Lets see if someone flames me now :cool:

Every core is the same? You're certain of this fact? They haven't run some lighter cores, and some heavier cores to be used for the Axes, and Vectors?

I'm not saying you're wrong, I really want to know if this is a fact, or your're just assuming that MVP runs the same weight cores, and just changes the weight of the overmolds.

I would think...and I could be totally wrong...that a lighter core with the same weight consistency in the overmold would make for an even more gryoscopic disc.

Maybe Chad, or Brad can weigh in.

Maybe Chad, or Brad can weigh in.

Brad told me that ALL cores are supposed to be the exact same weight, that is their goal for consistency. They make a bunch of cores at a time that are the same weight then add the over-mold for the type of disc they want to produce.

Give or take a gram the cores are the same.

Putter cores are same
Midrange cores are same
Fairway cores are same

Over-mold is what decides final weight.

From my communication with Brad this is fact.

The cores of putters might be a different weight than cores for fairways, but any 2 fairway cores should weigh the same.. if that makes sense?

Brad told me that ALL cores are supposed to be the exact same weight, that is their goal for consistency. They make a bunch of cores at a time that are the same weight then add the over-mold for the type of disc they want to produce.

Give or take a gram the cores are the same.

Putter cores are same
Midrange cores are same
Fairway cores are same

Over-mold is what decides final weight.

From my communication with Brad this is fact.

Thank you for sharing this little tid-bit of MVP manufacturing. I figured the cores were different weights and the overmold was constant. But, it's the other way around.

Now, here's the question. Have they run a light core?

For example:

Would an utra-light core on a Vector with a normal weight overmold produce a disc that flies anything like a Vector should? Perhaps not. What if, by way of making an ultra-light core, they essentially produce a new disc?

Maybe we could see 150 class mids and drivers, with known flight differences, BUT with the same consistency MVP is known for, in their respective weight classes.

Or maybe...they've already thought of all this and it's on the drawing board?

One can only dream.

Someday MVP could come up with jr version of Axis etc (i.e. smaller diameter) to achieve lighter discs in 150 to 165 range having similar flight characteristic. Similar to Lat64 with their Diamond.

Thank you for sharing this little tid-bit of MVP manufacturing. I figured the cores were different weights and the overmold was constant. But, it's the other way around.

Now, here's the question. Have they run a light core?

For example:

Would an utra-light core on a Vector with a normal weight overmold produce a disc that flies anything like a Vector should? Perhaps not. What if, by way of making an ultra-light core, they essentially produce a new disc?

Maybe we could see 150 class mids and drivers, with known flight differences, BUT with the same consistency MVP is known for, in their respective weight classes.

Or maybe...they've already thought of all this and it's on the drawing board?

One can only dream.

From what I remember reading the core plastic has no weighting agent in it. So to make a lighter core they would need to use different plastic or add bubbles(blizzard) to get the weight lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.