• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tangent

I picked up a red 176 Tangent yesterday and went to play immediately after. I'm super impressed. It reminds me of a faster lid, but not as sensitive to OAT as most lids are. The lines you can throw are very reminiscent of how a SuperHero throws, but with a bit more speed and a bit more fade. I didn't really do any powered down shots with it, but it was impressive when thrown at power. It will be staying in the bag. I am probably gonna have to start picking up back ups. Its a fun disc to throw.

So my initial impression of the tangent is that it flies exactly like a heavy z comet. I've read reviews of people raving about its flight, and how it does things that no other disc can do. I haven't seen that yet. The z comet for me is longer with more glide. I know I'll get blasted here for not sucking the tangent dick, but I just don't get he hype yet. That being said I felt the same about the ion at first. Turns out the ion is the most amazing disc I've ever thrown. I'm gonna give the tangent more time for sure.

Trust me, it doesn't fly like a heavy Z Comet when you get into the details. It doesn't have the excessive glide at low speeds which, despite my reverence for the disc, has always given me problems with ranging. It is much better in the wind and sits down much better as well. I can throw a high line with a Z Comet in calm conditions that gets to 375' without straining too much. I've thrown longer shots with Comets than any other mid. The Tangent is not like this. On a line drive it is slower and shorter than most other standard mids, making it almost a tweener/approach type disc. Though with a little air it can easily glide as far as most standard mids (not near a Comet though).

It is a disc that you put on line like a Comet. So maybe it's like a Comet that trades some of it's super glide for easier ranging and better wind performance. I really think the Tangent is something new in terms of discs, though the Comet is a good starting point for comparison (much better than discs like the Meteor/Fuse that people are wanting to compare it to).

This thing ain't no Comet. The glide is not even close. And that, like Discspeed said, can be a good thing.

I'm really looking forward to my first ever one disc round, and it'll be all Tangent.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have found that these gyro discs do perform really well in the wind. Once I get to throw the tangent in some wind maybe I'll start to see the differences. I guess I expected it to be longer than my comet, since every other MVP I have is longer than their traditional counterparts. I just need to find where this disc excels.

Here is where I am intrigued.

My current mid line-up this side of stability is Meteor - Buzzz SS - Roc3. As far as mid shots, I am set. What I am looking for is the gap between putters and mids in regards to precision approaching. Right now I use an Ion for putter driving and solid approaching. Sometimes I also use my Soft Judge for approaching, but I am worried about its durability. I am not going to a higher end Judge because I do not like how those plastic feels.

So, what I am exactly looking for is a disc that has neutral stability without any fade so it is easy to approach from 75-150. I find it easier to power down a mid than power up a putter, less power means less body movement, and therefore greater accuracy. I need a disc that will land flat and will consistently sit down within 15 feet of the basket. My putting is pitiful at best, so getting an upshot under the basket is paramount.

That is why I also use understable mids for my approaches. I can back-off the power on them. At 75 feet or so, I can almost use my putting routine to place it under the basket. However, when I start pushing back out to 150 feet, I like the HSS of a putter, but I want the ease of powering down a mid. This is where the Meteor gets a little unpredictable. The Buzzz SS is okay in this role.

What I am looking for is to see if the Tangent is capable of removing the Ion, Meteor, and Buzzz SS from the bag. It obviously needs to cover all those mid shots, but it needs to be capable of handling the approaching duties I described above. I have the room in my Carolina bag, but I would like to reduce molds as well. I believe in the balance of letting the disc do the work for me as well as knowing a disc well enough where it will do whatever I want of it.

Yes, the Tangent can handle those approach duties in that intermediate window. Very srraight with little fade under low power. It flies, for me, like an easier to range Mako.

So my initial impression of the tangent is that it flies exactly like a heavy z comet. I've read reviews of people raving about its flight, and how it does things that no other disc can do. I haven't seen that yet. The z comet for me is longer with more glide. I know I'll get blasted here for not sucking the tangent dick, but I just don't get he hype yet. That being said I felt the same about the ion at first. Turns out the ion is the most amazing disc I've ever thrown. I'm gonna give the tangent more time for sure.

:gross::sick:

Played some midrange-only rounds on a cool, breezy day to compare my new Tangent with the ESP Buzzz, and GL Fuse (all around 166-8). Keeping in mind that I throw about half as far as Mike C, :doh: here is my preliminary evaluation of the Tangent.

Pro:

Tangent holds a line really well. Throw it flat, anhyzer, or hyzer and it holds the line for the majority of the flight, with a slight fade or panning at the end of the flight. Very predictable and very intuitive, even my first time with it on the course. Tangent yielded quite a few birdie putts on short, technical holes.

Tangent rolls remarkably well, probably because of the blunt edge and "gyro". I am just learning rollers, but a Tangent roller went about 280' dead straight on flat ground, finishing about 25' short of the pin (Seneca #9A red tee, if you know the course).

Tangent held up pretty well in a 5-10 mph headwind. A flat throw would drift right a bit, but a little hyzer kept the Tangent straight into the wind.

As others have mentioned, Tangent is a pretty good putter so it would be an excellent choice for a one-disc round.

Con:

The Tangent seems to need height, spin, and a fair amount of oomph to go far. It consistently landed short of the Buzzz and Fuse, and I had to throw the Tangent pretty hard to out-distance my Yeti Aviar. It would be interesting to throw the Tangent side by side with my old Zero Pures – I expect they would fly pretty similarly.

Overall:

I like the Tangent. I can see it being very useful for technical holes and upshots outside putter range. It does dead straight very well, and it is much more predictable on an anny compared with trying to put just the right amount of turn on a Fuse.

I wish the Tangent had a bit more glide, but perhaps I will learn to throw it better with more experience. Next time out I will probably carry a Roc, Tangent, and Fuse for midranges, and see how that combination works.

Who wants to start the campaign to make the Tangent the next Eclipse release? I'd love to do a one-disc glow round with this bad boy.

I know you're reading, Chad and Brad. ;)

I think a soft proton Tangent would be a great catch disc. We were throwing my Neutron today but switched to a soft putter because it was easier to catch.

Who wants to start the campaign to make the Tangent the next Eclipse release? I'd love to do a one-disc glow round with this bad boy.

I know you're reading, Chad and Brad. ;)

I can get on board with that. I don't really need a glow Volt, Amp or Shock..I like LEDs on my drivers. Much easier to find. But I love my Eclipse Vector and Axis. Eclipse Tangent! Do it!

I can get on board with that. I don't really need a glow Volt, Amp or Shock..I like LEDs on my drivers. Much easier to find. But I love my Eclipse Vector and Axis. Eclipse Tangent! Do it!

Yeah, but if you had Eclipse drivers, you could stick the LEDs to the underside and be able to see it if it flips over. Which is why I want an Eclipse Tangent. Not for the glow, but for the transparency. Regular proton would be good too.

Yeah, but if you had Eclipse drivers, you could stick the LEDs to the underside and be able to see it if it flips over. Which is why I want an Eclipse Tangent. Not for the glow, but for the transparency. Regular proton would be good too.
I played Friday night with my hot pink Tangent and an LED and it lit up brighter than my Eclipse Axis. :thmbup:

It was due to the fact that the opaque plastic diffused the light from the LED and spread it more around the disc, really making it glow, as opposed to just seeing directly through to the light as you would with the clear plastic. I can definitely recommend night rounds with lighter colored Neutron plastic and a coin battery+LED style setup!

^^^^ i can vouch for this. Played a round friday night with my like tangent lit from the bottom. The flightplate was glowing almost to the rim with the led facing up in the center of the disc