• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Vector Midrange

Finally used my Vectors during a real round today, specifically a tournament where I pulled my Drones out and intended to use these in its place. I naturally went into the round knowing they are not AS stable as a Drone, always taking that into consideration when I picked my line, but it is the overstable end of the Buzzz SS - Buzzz - Vector lineup I was using.

I had some great shots with it, but I had some incredibly horrible shots that hits trees rather solidly only ten feet out from me because it did not launch in the direction I intended. Basically, this disc seems to have somewhat of a learning curve. However, I have seen enough promise out of them to not put my Drones back into the bag.

I will say this, when it hits the base of the tree or the basket pipe, it stops dead. The Vector has very little energy left once it hits something.

Every time I see this thread I think it says "MRV Vector Midrange" and I get confused and wonder why we have a 30+ page thread on a discontinued Pro D MRV.

I like the MRV... It's on histories underrated list without a doubt.
I guess Discraft only had room for the Buzzz, because the MRV went OOP the year after the Buzzz came out. It's too bad; the MRV was a really good small-diameter mid.

Anyway...what is this thread about?

I brought one of my Vectors along with me to Blue Ribbon Pines today to play with some friends. Unfortunately, there weren't many holes suited to use it off the tee. However, that didn't stop me from just using it anyways.

It seems to hold the same line all the way through its flight instead of fading hard when it slows down. Reminds me kind of like an extremely stable version of an Fuse. Faster, not as glidey, but the same idea of holding a line with out a pronounced fade. It doesn't really fly like a Buzzz or Wasp at all. A Buzzz or Wasp will fly straight with the fade hooking in at the end.

It definitely has a learning curve that I am going to try to learn over the next few weeks.

I brought one of my Vectors along with me to Blue Ribbon Pines today to play with some friends. Unfortunately, there weren't many holes suited to use it off the tee. However, that didn't stop me from just using it anyways.

It seems to hold the same line all the way through its flight instead of fading hard when it slows down. Reminds me kind of like an extremely stable version of an Fuse. Faster, not as glidey, but the same idea of holding a line with out a pronounced fade. It doesn't really fly like a Buzzz or Wasp at all. A Buzzz or Wasp will fly straight with the fade hooking in at the end.

It definitely has a learning curve that I am going to try to learn over the next few weeks.

Strange...Mine fade pretty hard...It's a forward fade, but still pulling laterally pretty hard as well.

Last edited:
I had mine out at Blue Ribbon Pines as well yesterday for the Mulligan Stew. I have a green and an orange Vector, both 177g. They were definitely not overstable, but had a stronger fade than my Buzzzes. Those were on simple approach shots because I did not have the best results trying to put them on certain lines. A few times i hit trees to early too tell and another time it did not come out of a line I was expecting it, thinking it had more stability than it apparently has.

Again, it showed great promise but needs some time to figure out. I played in the Stew with Matt from here on DGCR and he took a few Vector shots as well. Of his few, his seemed a little straighter, less HSS than mine. I did not catch the weight on his but he was throwing a green one I believe.

I wonder if temperature is affecting how the Vector is flying. Something is going on, because no one (including Climo, and a couple 500' throwers) has been able to flip or flatten my two Vectors (green/orange 177). Thrown flat on shots 300' and less and it starts to hyzer at about the 150' mark. To work it straight I have to pop it with some anny.

It was upper 30s low 40s when I tested mine out. I wish mine flew like these guys are sayin.

I really don't need this disc, and yet I will probably buy one. Oh well, I guess it will be easy trade bait if I don't like it.

@ discspeed: It seems like the Vector has changed your opinion on overstable mids. If so what do you feel is the difference with MVP and Brand-X overstable mids?

In the last 10 years I've been playing I have came to the conclusion again and again that overstable mids are rather pointless. Now, I'm not talking about a disc that can execute flat mid shots in the wind like a new Roc or other flat to fade type disc. I'm referring to Drones, Demons, Gators, etc...Discs that more or less have a + HSS and a blunt edge. I've cycled them in and out of my bag over the years, but never find any use for them that my Banshee/Pred/Firebird/XXX, etc, couldn't do better.

One of the biggest reasons I came to this conclusion was that just about every overstable mid has failed miserably for me in strong wind where the drivers I mentioned above thrive. No matter how overstable a blunt mid is in calm conditions, all of those blunt edges (and large diameter in the case of some) seem to catch wind and make the disc get knocked around. They are more likely to get a quick lift, or slammed to the ground, straighten out, or turnover than a true overstable utility driver. When it is calm, you should be able to throw your stable mid with hyzer to achieve any degree of overstable turn you need.

The only exception I've seen is people with really, really big arms. JohnE McCray has always thrown Demons because he likes to throw really hard even on 300ish holes...but he has 500'+ of power. Even so, as he ages I notice that he is using drivers or stable mids more where he used to throw Demons.

I noticed by reading some of the "rate my bag" threads here that an overstable mid seems to be one of the slots here deemed necessary and I was just wondering what the argument is for this other than it just seems to make sense in theory to carry as many stabilities at each speed as possible.

I got my Vector today, and one of the things I noticed is that just feeling it in my hand, I can tell that the weight is heavily distributed on the outside of the disc (duh). However, after messing around with some Blake T's hammer pound drills, I could really feel the weight shift with this disc. I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but even if I don't like the Vector enough to bag it, it might be a valuable teaching tool.

Latest posts