• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My first 36 holes - a revelation

Grinder12000

Birdie Member
I want to thank all here for helping, guiding.

Background - I'm 59 and picked up my 1st disc three weeks ago thinking it must be like a Frisbee which I basically slept with 30 years ago.

WELL - after a number of hours watching youtube and throwing at trees and hurting my back trying to get distance, I went out today to actually golf my first real 18 holes (keeping score and so forth).

I played Crystal Lake Park in Beaver Dam. Rated 3.23 so it's a friendly course.

Started easy and I was doing decent, (meaning I was not hurting myself) until I got to the 12th hole. I tee'd off with the normal cross over (I was doing that before I knew I was suppose to do that) and it was that throw when everything changed.

The feeling as the disc left my hand was like a thunderclap. It all came together. THAT, is how it's suppose to feel!! Of course on the next throw the disc was wet and want 50 feet (another lesson learned).

All of a sudden I was controlling the disc, it was no longer controlling me.

I was so pumped after 18 I played another 18. I was driving with my Buzzz and Shark but I was favoring the Shark more and more. I shaved 9 strokes off my original score and settled with a 57 with pretty poor putting.

Now I have to research fairway drivers!

What I found odd were other players. I was surprised how many players flip forehand (and normally poorly). I can see this at times but as a normal throw???

I really have to work on my putting though. a good putter will shave many strokes of a score.

It is like posting the first time you tried a beer and thought it tasted good - except Disc Golf is a bit more healthy.

Good luck with your new obsession!

Lots of people throw Forehand as their primary method. As a beginner you typically can throw farther forehand until you learn good backhand technique. But even past that stage lots of people prefer Forehand - even pros like Sarah Hokom.

Haven't played that course in quite a while. I like hole 18 down the hill, decent course in general. I've lost a few discs on that course because of the water. You said you needed to research fairway drivers & in my opinion you should check out a Teebird and a Leopard (specifically Champion & Star). They're both great discs in general but especially good for those just getting into the sport.

It is like posting the first time you tried a beer and thought it tasted good - except Disc Golf is a bit more healthy.

Good luck with your new obsession!

Lots of people throw Forehand as their primary method. As a beginner you typically can throw farther forehand until you learn good backhand technique. But even past that stage lots of people prefer Forehand - even pros like Sarah Hokom.

:thmbup: Overhand & sidearm are usually easier for beginners to get distance but eventually backhand and/or roller shots get the most distance after proper/better form is achieved. Anyway i'd recomend staying away from overstable discs in the beginning (wish I had) it will be beneficial in the long run. Good luck in your adventures with this amazing sport.

DG_Before_Breakfast - being a brewer, you struck a chord!!

DiscinFiend - stay away from the 19th hole LOL and yea - no overstable disc for a while

I shot a 74 at Dabney my first time with golf discs. :eek: :doh: You done good! :thmbup:

pick up a latitude 64 river for your fairway driver and call it good, stop buying discs till you know them like old friends. :)

welcome to the addiction!

don't be afraid of DX plastic when it comes to fairways. it's cheaper and you will learn a lot about disc flight and stability by seeing what happens when a disc gets beaten in. get some leopards, eagles, and teebirds!

Welcome to your new addiction. The Steady Ed clinic is full of addicts who can't get enough! If you venture to MN and need some tips of where to play...just holler!

Latest posts