• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

My girly starter bag

Dawn

I've been playing for only a few months - not long enough to really notice all the small differences between discs and what they do except just knowing there are a few in my bag that seem to really work for me the majority of the time. I wanted to share the discs I have picked up that I thought might be good for me and get some opinions on others that I should.

Innova Star TL 163g - got this because it seems like a good disk to go straight
Innova Sidewinder 151g - usually my main driver
Innova Beast - 134g - pretty much hate this disc, I can throw it far but barely have control - guessing because it's so light??
Innova Archangel - 150g - LOVE this disk except I want to find the good plastic in this disk.

Polaris LS, JLS 172g, and Quantum JLS - don't use these too often. Two were given to me used and one was the first disc (used) I ever bought before I knew anything about discs.

I've got a discraft ringer for putt and Comet for midrange. I don't throw either of these disks well at this point. Occasionally the Comet works, but I seem to have gotten worse at throwing it than when I first picked it up.

Would love some opinions!

Innova Beast - 134g - pretty much hate this disc, I can throw it far but barely have control - guessing because it's so light??yeah light ones like that are all over the place
Innova Archangel - 150g - LOVE this disk except I want to find the good plastic in this disk.<---might be hard to find

brother dave can give you some good advice.........im simple i only carry 3 molds...

i have some other lighter discs (150g-165g) for sale if you need anything.....

Hard to find because of the weight or just that type of disc? The woman at the Clearwater disc shop told me I would have a hard time finding any lightweight disc in better plastic but my 151 sidewinder is champion. Where are the best places to find rarer products like this?

I've been playing for only a few months - not long enough to really notice all the small differences between discs and what they do except just knowing there are a few in my bag that seem to really work for me the majority of the time. I wanted to share the discs I have picked up that I thought might be good for me and get some opinions on others that I should.

Innova Beast - 134g - pretty much hate this disc, I can throw it far but barely have control - guessing because it's so light??
Innova Archangel - 150g - LOVE this disk except I want to find the good plastic in this disk.

Polaris LS, JLS 172g, and Quantum JLS - don't use these too often. Two were given to me used and one was the first disc (used) I ever bought before I knew anything about discs.

I've got a discraft ringer for putt and Comet for midrange. I don't throw either of these disks well at this point. Occasionally the Comet works, but I seem to have gotten worse at throwing it than when I first picked it up.

Would love some opinions!

'Allo, welcome to the site.

They do make Archangels in Champ as CFR (fundraisers) but finding them light will be tricky if not impossible. Check discgolfvalues.com for that. That being said, I've heard that a Sirius Polaris LS is a good facsimile but I don't know how light they go either.

The 134 Beast is probably too fast as well as too light for you, I'd drop it altogether. You should pick out 2-3 drivers, one that can predictably fade, one that you can consistently throw straight, and one that you can predictably turn over and end right (for RHBH). From what you have, this would be TL, Sidewinder, and the Archangel probably, respectively.

Keep throwing that Comet, Comets and other neutral mids and putters are great for learning how to throw smooth and proper because they hate OAT (Off Axis Torque). If the beaded rim is giving you trouble I recommend a Fuse or an Aurora MS.

The Ringer is a very overstable putter I've heard, I'd try something more traditional like an Aviar, Magic (one of my faves), APX/Reef, Voodoo, Magnet, Challenger, or Wizard.

I'll see if U_Niced_Me and Roadtrippstuff can chime in here from a lady's perspective, they're probably better suited to nitpick than I am.

Hard to find because of the weight or just that type of disc? The woman at the Clearwater disc shop told me I would have a hard time finding any lightweight disc in better plastic but my 151 sidewinder is champion. Where are the best places to find rarer products like this?
You can find any of the best sellers in lighter weights and champ/star, like teebirds, eagles, leopards, etc. Check the online stores like Marshall st., Prime, discgolfcenter, Clearwater, Gottagogottathrow. If they don't have it, Hero Discs USA has a lot of 150 class discs and discgolfvalues like I said has a lot of the rarer and hard to find stuff. When all else fails, (or the first option for me) check try the Marketplace.

Last edited:
Disc Golf Center is a good place to look. They let you choose weights and had a surprising amount of 150s and low 160s.

In DX plastic, I've seen discs as low as the 120g range.

Dawn, here are a couple of threads with tons of helpful info about 150-gram discs:

150 Class Discs as (Alternate) Drivers

DGR: 150 Lovers

In the threads, Marmoset provides balanced pros and cons of 150-gram discs and offers excellent recommendations on specific discs and plastics (just keep in mind that he probably throws a lot farther than you or I).

Good luck!

Study this: Joe's Flight Chart.

Newer players prefer discs that are not very HSS and not very LSS. As your form and power improves you will move up to discs that are more HSS and more LSS.

Newer players also have a tendency to want to get a fast driver so they can get the most distance possible...but...the problem is they usually don't have the ability to get those faster discs up to their cruising speed...so you're better off sticking with slower fairway driver type discs (like your JLS) and a good midrange disc which you don't really have.

That being said If I were you I would keep both JLS's and the star TL because they are all similar fairway drivers. I would take all of your other discs, except your putter, down to Discnation. This weekend they are paying twice the amount to buy used discs. You will probably have enough after selling your discs to get a good midrange (I would recommend a 160-170 ESP Buzzz).

Once you get your bag to where your just throwing fairway drivers, mids and putters, your form will improve faster than it would if you tried to learn with distance drivers (sidewinders and beasts). Throwing those type disc early on will force you to learn bad habits that will be hard to break later.

Once you develop a good form you can then evolve to using a faster driver.

Don't fall into the trap of "I'm a girl so I have to throw light discs". My 11 year old daughters favorite discs are a 180 Roc and a 174 Cyclone and she usually plays with just those two discs. She shot a -1 the other day at San Gabriel Park with them.

First, welcome to the site Dawn! I've been playing almost 2 years now and I'm a girl, too. My bag has changed a lot as I got stronger. And unfortunately I've never used a lot of 150 g discs, but I can offer a little advice! BTW, I shop at DiscGolfCenter.com, it's free shipping. Also, if you want to find a lot of 150 discs in good plastic try Hero Discs: http://www.herodiscusa.com/

If I had to start over, I would have learned to throw a Roc, Comet, or Buzz from the getgo. Probably right at 170 g.

Another good easy to find and easy to throw lightweight starter disc is a 150 g Champion Leopard.

The only other driver I would probably recommend for you since you like a lightweight Sidewinder is a 150 g Valkyrie. I've seen a lot of Advanced Women players playing with it, too.

A good putter to try might be a JK Aviar. I use Aviar Putt and Approach putters b/c I'm not crazy about the bead on the underside of the rim.

I've never thrown Beasts or Millineum stuff, so I can't really give you advice on either. Good Luck and Keep Hukkin'!!! It does get easier!! :)

The Polaris LS comes in Sirius (Millennium's premium) plastic and in 150g. FWIW Millennium's base plastic is pretty tough. The Polaris comes in that at 150g too. Also Inova's Leopard is another 150g premium (champion) plastic disc. Both are very easy to control at the 150g weight. I have a weak arm and throw both though not very often. I mostly use mids.

I don't have much else to add the the good advice given by others above, except that I'd definitely keep throwing the Comet. It'll be a better learning tool. It'll be frustrating at first, because you'll have problems in your form and the Comet will show that, but you'll be able to tell when your form gets cleaner and once you become a much better player the Comet will stay a staple in your bag.

Good luck!!

:thmbup:

Hi Dawn! I started playing 2 years ago (I am a girl too) I started off throwing 150 class discs too. I am still throwing them as my main drivers, but have moved up into the 160 class as well. Let''s just face it, if we want more distance with less arm, it works well. My suggestions are...

Keep throwing the Star TL. It may be a little too stable at times but the more you throw it, the more you will start flicking harder & the straighter it will go. Keep throwing the 151 Sidewinder. If you start turning it over to the rt., then just adjust your wrist. This is how I normally throw my 150's... tilt the disc at a hyzer angle but keep the NOSE DOWN. It will hyzer flip for you and soar straight!!

I recommend you get a 150 Champ Valkyrie. It's straighter than a SW. Ditch the 134 Beast. Once you start throwing your TL consistently, try moving up to a 160 class champ Sidewinder to replace the 150. I don't throw a midrange (such as a Comet or Roc) for my upshots still, but I seem to land by the basket 90% of the time using a 170 Champ tee-bird. As long as you aim 30 feet to the right of the basket, it will drop down in like a magnet to the basket and sit - it's also a good disc to learn to flick for left to right upshots. But, I do sometimes throw a 169 Star Kite as a midrange. I think you will feel more comfortable with the rim depth & have more control. My fingers are too small to feel comfortable with a Comet or ROC.

Try the 150 Ch. Valk, 160 class Star Kite, 170 T-Bird, the JK-Aviar putter, & a 150 Ch. Leopard. I think you will like! DiscGolfCenter.com has all your 150 class needs & you get discounts the more you buy from them. ;)

My girlfriends bag consists of Leopards in Star, champ, and DX ranging from 150-166, a light champ teebird, a 155 champ gazelle, a comet and two Focus. She tried a few different mids but likes the glide and straightness the comet offers. as mentioned discgolfcenter.com lets you pick color and weight.
A dx leopard will beat into a nice turnover disc, a champ or star will go straight and a tl, teebird or eagle will hook left at the end.

just remember that pink discs fly better...and this is coming from a guy.

Thanks for all the tips so far - some really helpful stuff! I am getting a lot more personalized feedback here than I have in disc golf stores where everyone seems to have a generic answer to everything. Like the beast which was highly recommended to me in Clearwater - I instantly disliked the disk and thought it was too fast and light for me!!! arghhh! Chingy and U_Niced_me - Thanks especially for chiming in. That you mention it now, I do feel like the Comet is too big for my fingers and am glad you pointed that out.

I am definitely going to take a lot of this advice and invest in the right disks. I am having a mega hard time understanding the whole stability thing, even with all that I've read on it. I feel like as a beginner, and what I really want to do is throw my disk plain ol' STRAIGHT. So, wouldn't I want a stable disk instead of understable??? What's great about an understable disk for beginner? This might be a conversation best saved for face to face.

I'll plan on buying some of these disks in a few days to start practicing. I'm stuck in South Texas where there's really not courses to choose from, but I'll be in Houston the end of the month for a few days and would like to meet up with anyone in the area for some insight and rounds!

Thank you thank you again!!

I think you're on track with the lighter weight discs - I made the mistake at first of giving some of my old discs to my girlfriend for her bag - all it did was frustrate her and make her not want to play. Now she rocks the light 160's and it's worked out much better.

One thing to remember about stability is it's all relative to how much power you can generate on your shot. It's often referred to on here as "snap". So a TL may be understable for someone with a powerful arm but stable (straight) for those with less power. In a general sense stability is how hard and how quickly a disc will fade, keeping in mind that ALL discs fade to some degree.

If I were you I'd definitely work off of the TL and Sidewinder predominantly, and once you get the hang of it a 150 or low 160's Valk will be a good next step. As for midranges, if the Comet isn't doing it for you I'd try a Coyote or Buzzz SS.

So, wouldn't I want a stable disk instead of understable??? What's great about an understable disk for beginner?

Stability is dependent on speed. A speed 7 disc with a 0 HSS (High Speed Stability) will turn right if thrown faster than speed 7. It will turn left if thrown slower than speed 7 and it will go straight if thrown at speed 7. If a newer player can only throw at a maximum speed of 5 then speed 7 discs with a 0 HSS will turn left for them but speed 7 discs with a HSS of -2 will probably fly pretty straight.

That's why it's important to use slower discs because they are much easier to get up to "cruising speed". When a disc hits it's perfect cruising speed it sort of locks in and just glides like crazy.

I feel like as a beginner, and what I really want to do is throw my disk plain ol' STRAIGHT. So, wouldn't I want a stable disk instead of understable??? What's great about an understable disk for beginner? This might be a conversation best saved for face to face.
!

Until you develop your form (nose angle, arm speed and snap) an understable disc will be easier to control.

You asked about drivers but IMO most beginners would be better off starting with mid range discs and putters.

Due to injuries I've been a beginner three times now. The last time I was one, I didn't touch a driver for about a year. This worked out well.

The polaris LS is a lot like a leopard. This disc is an amazing utility disc. We met a girl named Tina Heid at the Magnolia and she carried at least 3 polaris LS. She could make them turn left/right/straight etc...

She was amazing in the woods with this disc. Totally give it a shot, it won't go as far as a TL but it will do anything you teach it how to do.

A mid will definitely help your game but it all depends on how far you can throw, until Christy was throwing 250 or more every disc pretty much went the same distance.

Speaking of which, any idea how far you throw?

I am definitely going to take a lot of this advice and invest in the right disks. I am having a mega hard time understanding the whole stability thing, even with all that I've read on it. I feel like as a beginner, and what I really want to do is throw my disk plain ol' STRAIGHT. So, wouldn't I want a stable disk instead of understable??? What's great about an understable disk for beginner?

Yes, learning DG terminology is like learning a new language. :)

A stable disc, thrown flat, clean, and with enough power, will go straight until it slows down and fades left (assuming right hand backhand). If you want a disc to fly truly straight, you need to throw an understable disc with some hyzer (outer edge of the disc tilted away from you). Thrown cleanly and with enough power, the disc will flip up to straight, perhaps a little past, and then will fade back slightly. With practice, you can "hyzer-flip" an understable disc like a Comet or Leopard to fly almost perfectly straight.

Does that help?