• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] My little 150 Wraith experiment

SomeChump

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I have a 172 DX Wraith that flew overstable for me until I beat it in. So I thought I'd try buying a lighter one and see if that flew well straight out of the box. Then I got a little crazy and said "if a little lighter is good, a LOT lighter might go forever!." Bottom line I got a 146 DX Wraith. Flies nice and straight (and long) out of the box, but sucks in the wind and I find it has little tolerance for a poor throw. It also gives me a nasty case of griplock.

Anyone else keep a 150 class driver in the bag? I've thought it might make a pretty good downwind driver too. I thought maybe it was against PDGA rules in the US or something.

Weird... there's another Wraith thread going on already that I just started a day or two ago. It's stange how these things happen.

I have a 150g DX Wraith and it flies much more like the Innova chart for me than my 175 Champion Wraith. I've gotten a lot of really good input on the other thread. You might want to check it out. Here's the link.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2778

Weird... there's another Wraith thread going on already that I just started a day or two ago. It's stange how these things happen.

I have a 150g DX Wraith and it flies much more like the Innova chart for me than my 175 Champion Wraith. I've gotten a lot of really good input on the other thread. You might want to check it out. Here's the link.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2778

Thanks I missed the other one.

I still have my first driver which is a 150g Champ Valk. I love that thing when it isn't windy, or in the right wind. In general though I prefer discs at about 170g, they seem to be light enough for me to throw well and still be heavy enough to get through some wind.

i have 2 150's in my bag, both LS Polaris
one that nice calm day these things look so good ripping throught the air

Almost all of my longer stuff is 150. After I broke my shoulder I found the 150 provided less pain than the more normal 170 stuff. (Even today that's the case.) I like playing in the wind and can usually find a way to use it to an advantage. When I have to fight a headwind I"ll go overstable before I increase weight. (I like my 150 Illusion for this.) I have a couple of mids that are also 150. They're the ones that I throw at full power. Others are 160-65. I like my putters at about 175. At the slower speeds that putters normally travel he extra 25g makes a big differance.

FWIW I have a 130 Inferno that really sucks in the wind. It's a difficult disc to throw but if I ever get the hang of it I believe it'll outdistance anything else I've ever thrown.

P.S. One thing I've found is that light stuff likes a much faster spin than heavy stuff. A good spin on a 170 is fine but on a 150 it's essential. I'm thinking that's why I haven't come to trems with that 130 yet.

I gotta 156 Tee Bird that flies forever like you said and sucks in a head wind. I had a wraith that was awsome until it decided to leave me for a life in the river. that made me sad so i got a 163 r pro boss which i have yet to throw but cant wait for sunday my first free day this week.

I've always heard to go light with the drivers and heavy with the mid-ranges. I might have to try a 150.

i have 165 - 175 drivers but i have a 150 DX shark that i use when i'm in trouble behind trees or bushes when i can't get that full extension of my arm. it's light and goes forever with minimal effort.

I like 150g discs in principle, but if your release isn't butter-smooth (and mine isn't), they're too easy to flip. However, they're still very useful for uphill shots or getting out of trouble where you can't do a full-powered throw.

By the way, long-distance drivers in DX 150 class get beat up FAR too easily; that wide wing gets destroyed after a few tree hits.

I'm noticing this 150 tends to climb higher too.

I have a 150 Demon that I haven't thrown that much but recently tried throwing hard off the tee while practicing. It flew surprisingly straight and far before fading off. I'm going to have to get more practice throws in with this and get a better idea of what it does.

I also have a 150 Wizard that has allowed me to make a few putts previously a good 15 feet out of my putting range.

By the way, long-distance drivers in DX 150 class get beat up FAR too easily; that wide wing gets destroyed after a few tree hits.

Totally agree, I won't even throw DX anymore if there are trees around. Most of my drivers are 150 class, I just prefer lighter plastic. My main drivers right now are the 150 Surge & 150 DX Valk and Viking.

I love my 150 elite x surge, on calm days or with a light breeze I can get that thing to llok nice in the air, I think I'm going to pick up a 150 flick soon too and see how that works out for me

I played a hole with a guy once who could throw far only with 175g discs. I also know that I prefer my discs at or around 170g. Like I said I do have a 150g Valk that I can launch but the lighter weight also makes it easier to throw. So in conclusion I think that most players will indeed be able to throw lighter discs further but the better players will reach for heavier weights and really be able to get them out there further. That being said I know distance records are generally set with lighter weight discs as well but I am guessing that has more to do with hitting the right winds and up drafts and letting the disc be more taken by those winds.

What is the lightest disc golf disc that is tournament legal? Also which are the best lightweight disc for stable/understable throws? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
they dont have a lightness limit and the lightest discs ive seen have been in the 120s. I threw a brand new150DX starfire once right after throwing my 167 starfire and it ending up in the same area but it was totally weird because i couldnt even feel it leaving my hand ,but i think if i hadnt thrown the heavier one first i wouldnt have been able to control where it went.

if you like 150s i would recommend a starfire as an overstable disc and a valkrye for throwing retarded matrix style annys.

I keep a 150g Star Teebird in my bag, and it's my go to driver on just about any hole. Once I got the hang of the light weight, I found it really helped my form, got rid of a lot of OAT and in the end, added around 50 feet to my distance off the tee. I'd definitely recommend trying out some disc in 150, but my top choice would be the Teebird.