• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Naming convention cancelled; moved to online only.

My local shop quit selling Prodigy even though there are Prodigy sponsored players in the area. The discs just weren't selling. Personally, I think it is the naming convention.

Player A: what did you throw there?
Player B: a Prodigy HX37Y...something - something Prodigy. How about you?
Player A: a Teebird.

And most new players are buying discs based on what their friends throw. Telling a new player that they should get a Teebird, is easier for them to remember in a store than a Ace Line F Model S. Or trying to remember your friend suggested a H3 V2.

Someone else already said this, but they shouldn't have used numbers for the plastics and the molds. That is the big issue. Discmania has a similar naming system for the molds and no one has issues with it. If they just give the plastics an actual name I think people would get it.

Someone else already said this, but they shouldn't have used numbers for the plastics and the molds. That is the big issue. Discmania has a similar naming system for the molds and no one has issues with it. If they just give the plastics an actual name I think people would get it.

I agree, I think it's the combo of a number describing the plastic blend itself and the naming system that makes it a bit much.

The naming system makes sense, and I understand why a company would want to use a system like that, I just don't think it's been received as well as they expected.

Per their website, 400g is a stiffer 400 blend. 500 is stiffer than 400. 750 is more durable and stiffer than 400, and 750g is even stiffer. From the bit that I've handled it varies in stiffness some, but all feels very similar. If you're talking pro, champ, and star or elite x, elite z, or esp they have unique looks and feels. To me that's the more confusing than the model names.

Hey... the 500 series D2 Pro dropped. Who's excited?

It's not a 500 series D2 or 500 series D2 Max fyi.

Yup...everything I just said is real. Make sure not to confuse it with a DD2 from Discmania (approved in 2010, 3 years before Prodigy came along)

I don't like or dislike Prodigy. They're just going about it wrong since conception imo.

Last edited:
Hey... the 500 series D2 Pro dropped. Who's excited?

It's not a 500 series D2 or 500 series D2 Max fyi.

Yup...everything I just said is real. Make sure not to confuse it with a DD2 from Discmania (approved in 2010, 3 years before Prodigy came along)

I don't like or dislike Prodigy. They're just going about it wrong since conception imo.

How does the 500 compare to Italian blend? Or Prime? Or R-Pro? Or umpaloompa?

What does DGA stand for

DGA Directors Guild of America (movie directors union)
DGA Directeur Général Adjoint (French: Deputy Director General)
DGA Disc Golf Association (Aromas, CA)
DGA Democratic Governors' Association
DGA Délégation Générale pour l'Armement (France)
DGA Dirección General de Aduanas (Spanish: Directorate General of Customs; various nations)
DGA Directia Generala Anticoruptie (Romanian: Anticorruption General Directorate)
DGA Direction Générale de l'Armement (French: Directorate General of Armament; French Ministry of Defense)
DGA Directeur-Grootaandeelhouder (Dutch: Managing Director and Major Shareholder)
DGA Dietary Guidelines for Americans
DGA Délégué Général pour l'Armement (French: Delegate General for Armaments)
DGA Direct Graphics Access
DGA Dissolved Gas Analysis
DGA Diputación General de Aragón (Spainish: General delegation of Aragón)
DGA Diglycolamine (trademark of Huntsman Corporation)
DGA Department of General Affairs (various organizations)
DGA Direction Générale de l'Agriculture
DGA Deutsche Gesellschaft für Asienkunde (German Asian Studies Association)
DGA Don't Go Away
DGA Differential Graded Algebra (mathematics)
DGA Diet Ginger Ale (beverage)
DGA Département de Géophysique Appliquée (French: Department of Applied Geophysics)
DGA Dirección de Gestión Ambiental (Spanish)
DGA Dangriga, Belize - Dangriga (Airport Code)
DGA Damn Good Airplane (series of high-performance aircraft built by Benny Howard)
DGA Dense Grade Aggregate (masonry)
DGA Drunken Golf Association (online)
DGA Digital Guardian Angel
DGA Data Generation Agent
DGA Dangerous Goods Advisor
DGA Designated Geographical Area
DGA Dramatists Guild of America, Inc.
DGA Damn Good Arcers (gaming clan)
DGA Dynamic Global Area
DGA Damn Good Answer
DGA Discrete Geometric Approach
DGA Dynamic Greedy Algorithm (routing model)

In artificial languages, similar things with notably different properties often have similar names (alkane, alkene, alkyne). In contrast, natural languages use very different words for similar things with notably different properties (bull, cow). Very important to distinguish between male and female bovines when milking. :rolleyes:

This may explain why some struggle with Prodigy's or Discmania's naming schemes. Similar-sounding combinations of letters and numbers are not quite as memorable as animals.

Caveat: I have approximately zero brand loyalty, which is why this thread drift caught my interest more than the original subject. ;)

This is really interesting, Monocacy. Thanks for explaining. Rings true for me. And as a few others have said, I don't find the Prodigy disc name + plastic name nomenclature to register in my brain at all.

I think the point that the Prodigy nomenclature requires studying makes sense. It certainly can be learned and retained with enough re-engagement. It is a system, and one that implicitly guides the end user if they know the system. But, I don't want to learn a system to understand what a single disc is. Like someone else said, when Simon throws the Cloud Breaker and calls it that or the announcer names the disc, I will remember. As there's not a single manufacturer whose entire lineup I know, so I don't see myself studying a linguistic system to crack the code for a particular manufacturer.

This is really interesting, Monocacy. Thanks for explaining. Rings true for me. And as a few others have said, I don't find the Prodigy disc name + plastic name nomenclature to register in my brain at all.

I think the point that the Prodigy nomenclature requires studying makes sense. It certainly can be learned and retained with enough re-engagement. It is a system, and one that implicitly guides the end user if they know the system. But, I don't want to learn a system to understand what a single disc is. Like someone else said, when Simon throws the Cloud Breaker and calls it that or the announcer names the disc, I will remember. As there's not a single manufacturer whose entire lineup I know, so I don't see myself studying a linguistic system to crack the code for a particular manufacturer.

Yes, I think this might be why the Prodigy names make it harder for many to find a specific disc than from other brands. I don't think it is that the system/names don't make sense compared to each other, but that the names are, in a sense too similar in that everything is letters and numbers which many have a harder time to rember than a specific name.

If you for example saw Kona mention her Fuzion Escape and you the next day or later that day decide to look for that disc. As long as you know the brand and especially if you know the type/speed(-ish)/characteristics (you might remember it's a pretty straight fairway driver in an opaque plastic) of the disc you will probably be able find that disc when searching for it in a web shop if you browse that brands discs even if you aren't totally sure of exactly what the name was. And the plastiscs are for most prands pretty easy to distinguish as being opaque or translucent (or "gummy/softer"). So even if you don't remember the names of the plastics, it's normally easy to find the right plastic, at least when it comes to premium plastics.

If you on the other hand saw or heard someone mention a F3 in 400 plastic. If you later browse a shop for prodigy discs and you're not sure of the letter or every single number, you might have a hard time finding the right disc since the names are so similar. And if you aren't completely sure about the plastic they mostly look the same also (at least that's my experience).

But if you are totally into Prodigy I understand that the names are seen as very logic and easy to understand. But since Prodigy in most places aren't the most common brand I understand their name makes it difficult for many to remember/finding specific discs.

You folks must have *hated* original recipe Discmania. Same letters and numbers except without the numbers corresponding to a linear progression in stability characteristics.

Prodigy's stamps are also pretty unremarkable and uninteresting, going along with the minimal/technical theme(?) they have. It's just hard to find their discs interesting/appealing, or form a strong connection with them. Too cold, technical, and impersonal for my tastes.

Latest posts