• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR's best resource

disc golf is year round in DFW. If you are here more than 3 days and can't find a chance to get a round in with decent weather, you are just unlucky.

Quite a few years ago at this point there was a new member who went by "kachtz." Most of the initial attention around him was prerube and jrawk squawking about what seemed to be internet distance at that point (along the lines of 500 ft for a new player). I met him at the first Mid-Atlantic DGCR Meetup at Hawk Hollow and it turned out the distance was real.

A bit later than that kachtz contacted me about working with him on a course design on a very special property in Montross, VA. That property was Lake Marshall and one of the 3 courses there is on track to become the highest rated on this site once it has sufficient reviews. It is fairly safe to say that the (eventual, maybe) highest rated course in the world would not exist in its current state had it not been for DGCR.

I joined DGCR for the message board. In 2012, I discovered "course bagging" which added a different level of enjoyment to disc golf. Thanks to the DGCR community I have a never-ending goal:

Play Them All <3

Thanks! :hfive:

Quite a few years ago at this point there was a new member who went by "kachtz." Most of the initial attention around him was prerube and jrawk squawking about what seemed to be internet distance at that point (along the lines of 500 ft for a new player). I met him at the first Mid-Atlantic DGCR Meetup at Hawk Hollow and it turned out the distance was real.

A bit later than that kachtz contacted me about working with him on a course design on a very special property in Montross, VA. That property was Lake Marshall and one of the 3 courses there is on track to become the highest rated on this site once it has sufficient reviews. It is fairly safe to say that the (eventual, maybe) highest rated course in the world would not exist in its current state had it not been for DGCR.
That's gonna be a tough one to top.

If not for DGCR, I never would have played as many courses as I have, and definitely wouldn't have played as many truly wonderful courses as I have.

Finding courses is one thing.

But if you're specifically looking for quality courses, you simply can't beat DGCR.

I definitely wouldn't be into dg as much as I am without DGCR...especially the VIP section circa 2012-2014 and meeting up with ian. TourneyPlayer, Rolex81, bpierce, sgamerp, mr. fixit, jay dub and others.

So much great info here, some of my favorite people in DG, and the amount many are willing to help others have a good time in the DG world is fantastic.

Playing my first round in the snow on the Bald Eagle course with Martin Dewgartia while he was walking on a peg leg is a great memory. Probably made even more funny since I was wearing a full suit and tie.

Getting a round in with Wellsbranch250 and GM at the excellent VRock course and almost acing the V rock hole was pretty special.

Bogeynomore tipping me off that toboggan was open while I was in Detroit.

Spirited course discussions with Shadrach3.

And the many other players I've gotten to play with, trade with, and share information about this sport that has become a bigger part of my life than I ever thought possible.

Other online communities may be bigger, but no one cares more about disc golf than the people here.

DGCR probably kept me in the game. bagging courses became an obsession and without that i probably would have gotten bored playing the home course with the same old group. don't get me wrong, that is still fun, but it's not quite enough that it would have kept me involved for these nearly 15 years....

...i never would have had the reason or motivation to go to any of those places or take those trips without DGCR as a resource. that also doesn't take into account the dozens of small towns i've driven to or through bagging courses in Texas.

^This right here. Once I discovered this site it was a whole new ballgame (discgame?).
Shortly after joining I moved to Mobile AL and without this site I would never have realized just how many courses were in that area, and wouldn't have used that as an excuse to drive around to dozens of courses within an hour or two of there. Same thing happened when I moved to Colorado a couple years later. Also, there have been several times since then that an otherwise boring or chore of a road trip has gotten way more fun since there's something to look forward to/break up the trip. I would never have been excited to stay a night in Amarillo, TX or Shreveport, LA if I couldn't find courses in the areas, no matter how good their Domino's Pizza is.

DGCR has absolutely kept my interest in the sport since I joined in 2010. Sadly there's less traffic here than the 2011-2014 timeframe but I still log in daily. I do use UDisc now for finding courses and checking conditions, but my official course tracker is done through DGCR. I haven't met a ton of DGCR's IRL but I did meet kutz167 when I first moved to Houston and he helped introduce me to the scene as well as serving as a travel buddy for out of town tourneys and course bagging trips.

DGCR was key in getting my game going. Myself and two friends started as an alternative to playing a second round of ball golf on Tuesdays. Fell in fast and the DGCR maps got us out and about. Forums really helped with terminology and basics as we got into local social scene.
DGCR helped with my inspiration for course clean up, volunteering at events and investing cash and labor in new courses and bench building. Maps still my number one value especially years I worked on the road and trips.
Became a premium member here to support the site and no plans for ending that.
Thanks DGCR.

dgcr has absolutely convinced me to buy and try way more plastic that I had any use for.

positive or negative? you make the call

it's also the only place I come to talk disc golf - it's hard to find places to have real and honest in depth discussions on strategy, philosophy, and game theory anywhere else. I really think all of the refugees from the old DGR forums came over and helped integrated that into the culture on DGCR. It's wonderful that you can find so much more than typical r/discgolf garbage over here (though there definitely is some leakage)

Last edited:
When I first got serious about DG after playing casually for decades, I learned about discgolfscene & dgcoursereview at the same time. It didn't take long to figure out which site provided what information. Both have a place in the DG world, but DGCR is a home for us passionate discers. And now that my employer has stopped blocking this website (they did for a few years, do not even know why) now I can get on here more regularly & interact with my peeps.

I just realized yesterday that you were the designer of those. Somehow never put two and two together I guess...I've never played, but in reading reviews and looking at pictures, I gotta say these courses looks phenomenal! Lion in particular is just the kind of course I love--mix of up and down, in and out of woods, scenic vistas, etc. I am very hopeful we can make it out there this year. I was born and raised in the DC/Baltimore corridor, so I will get to reminisce on my way out there too, and see how much it likely has changed. Might stop and play Seneca on the way--it's been 30 something years since I last played it (first weekend it was open).

So on point, were it not for DGCR, I would not even know about courses like this. Yes, its 9 hours from me, but I DO plan on playing soon (all 3). You see, on Udisc, every course seems like it's at least a 4, so singling out the best of the best is actually kind of hard. Not so much on DGCR. I've not been disappointed with one of our 4-stars yet. Even ones I didn't think I would like.

Interesting thread...

For me probably the best resource is perspective on disc golf culture, rules and the like. While I don't always agree with what people say about these things it is handy to know where folks from different backgrounds are coming from. That has helped me with running leagues and tournaments and be a better organizer in general.

Threads like this.

I've only met NathanNoodleArm through here (though I know a couple other posters). Migrating from DGR seemed scary and I was skeptical, but I loved and still love being able to share knowledge and help others.

I might come off as a dick from time to time but it always comes from the heart. I want all of you to play and be the best you can.

I wish and hope to actually meet many of you. Damn covid...we need to create the biggest DGCR meet up ever in the next year or two.

Last edited:
Wow. How has DGCR helped me?

1. I lost my go-to forehand driver, a Dynamic Disc Lucid Witness, and when I found out it was OOP....I posted here what I was looking for. Not only did I get suggestions, but reasons why I should try them. The Innova Sidewinder became my new forehand driver shortly after.

2. I love the rules discussions and have learned a lot...not only about the rules but how to properly apply them.

3. I have a thread going on how my technique/form is doing and the positive feedback/suggestions are amazing. Just awesome the amount of support I get.

4. Along with #3...the different videos and advice given on this site (not necessarily directed to me) have really helped.

I'm not on any other disc golf forum site....because why go elsewhere when I'm already on the best?

DGCR started for me as only a resource to find courses. Picked up playing on work trips with a co-worker. I would scout courses in the towns we were staying in on DGCR.

Now, I'm hooked. Tricked out with a cart, waaay too many discs, a portable basket, and had to build a rack for all the discs and gear. (the too many discs and HAD to build are up for debate, but....)

Now, I enjoy the community. I've gotten into bagging courses (and with over 300 in my little state of Iowa, I still have more to go...) I enjoy adding pictures and reviews, getting some feedback from other users. Just recently begin spending more time in the forums...

Thank you to Tim, a resource has changed into much more. Will continue my premium membership for some time to come. Here's to warmer weather, so I can get out and find/play more courses... (Today began at -11 F, now a balmy +7 F)

1. I learned about the garu bag. Has shaped how I select discs and what Ds I actually "need" to carry to this day.
2. I learned that not only can I fail at throwing but I can fail at science homework too, thanks to Sidewinder. But for real, he's helped so many people.
3. Helped me get addicted to competitive golf and then helped me realize it was cool just to play solo rounds and mellow when I realized the league/tourney scene wasn't for me.
4. Still where I go for course reviews/info.

I dabbled in disc golf in college cause the summer camp I worked at had a short course and it was the thing to do in our infrequent off times. Left the U.S.A. to work internationally, and still am as a teacher, where I found myself needing to flesh out and develop curriculum for a HS Life Time Sports class. I had flash backs to playing during college leading to the idea to try and integrate a disc golf unit into the class. This led me back into disc golf and in the process of getting back into it and researching for work I found DGCR and it has been my go to source for just about everything. Answers to questions about discs, how to build a bag, form basics (form still kinda sucks but now I know it!), rules, tournament play, the whole 9 yards was all readily available here. This led to me hunting down and joining the local disc golf scene here in Taiwan which initially felt super intimidating due to the language barrier. Turns out the majority of essential disc golf culture & communication is universal so that has been a mostly positive experience and it has led to me finding a lot of good friends in the game. One of those friends and I are now responsible for organizing the monthly tournament to be held in our city now. If it weren't for DGCR I would not have learned all the essential things I have so far, nor would I have the drive to continue learning and growing in the game.

Latest posts